D2 Coil Overs

mou55a

g'day guys...

just need a lil advice

i currently have King Springs installed on my 03' Sportivo.

Superlows at the back & Low's at the front

im strongly considering getting a set of D2 Coil Overs

however, in the future im planning on getting 18" or 19" rims

what (in your opinion) r the pro's & cons???

will there be much difference in the quality of the ride of the car??

it will be lower...

will i still be able 2 purchase rims?

thoughts...

cheers guys

No, I run king lows (both ends) on stock shocks at the track, and I've set fastest time in a sportivo.

I know a certain black sportivo with coils and more engine mods that I'm a second faster.

Stay the springs till you stuff your shocks now you got em, then get some kyb/koni

I'm not keeping the car long enough to stuff the shocks...

whitestivo

i run the same Kings setup as you with KYB Excel Gas struts... and i think its great!

but it all depends on what you want to do with your car...

do you want to take it to the Track? How often do you want to take it to the track?

what benifit will the coilovers actually give you?

Adjustable ride height? How often will you actually adjust the ride height

Damper settings? How often will you actually change them?

afterall.. a coilover is just a height and damper controllable spring and stut combination.

IMO... if your not going to worry about the height of your car, but do want to be able to dial in extra firmness, consider buying Koni Adjustable suspension for your spring combo.

BUT.. if your set on buying coilovers... remember the rule... Spend Little, Spend Twice... applies here. You really do get what you pay for.

yeah

that sounds logical...

thanks heaps mate...

ill be able 2 get my rims quicker now by usin that $$$$ hahaha

when is there gonna be a cruise or a meet...

theres a cruise 2 Newcastle that OZcelica is organising on april 19th

Im all for coilovers, cusco zero 2's... Tein's etc... but do NOT get D2 Coilovers... to many people have had problems

Best off with the suggestions above and get spring/shock combo. Go for Koni Yellow or something in the KYB Range

yes, if you are spending less than $1500 on coilovers then they are cheap crap. Made in Taiwan. BC, G4's, D2's, Ksport... all the same

like i said moussa, dont get D2's ive had them, didnt like them so i went for King low/superlow combo and couldnt be happier. Mate it with stabilizer bars, front + Rear strut braces and thicker rear swaybar and thats what u need. Enough to throw ur car around and still be comfortable!

I had a set of D2 coilovers now, on average the quality isnt good, but I have one of the best set in aus.

y? cos i didnt buy it from the group guy. ppl who went with the group buy got the D2s with track spring rate with street shocks setup.

Lucky mine is 5kg 7kg so it is very comfortable and my never had any issues with the clinging noise anymore.

If u come around a second hand one, dont buy them unless u try them first. Cos half of ppl who went with the D2 group had no idea, and i think the previous owner of d2, who sold the business, was not honest too

personally tein is the super wagon version, so it was for the toyota fielder , not runx.

Best will be getting either koni's kings springs or cusco if u are willing to pay.

However, do u know that half of these jap brand they only assemble the parts now, half of the original equipment are made in taiwan.

bc went bankrupt and sold it to aai in taiwan, so now most bc stuff r made in taiwan, but what the hack you pay what u get for.

Also my d2 is in gd nick cos i been looking after it, i drive carefully in the street avoiding pot holes. i know some ppl dont and end up damaging their coilovers and they dont know.

Two different companies. Buddy club is reputable. BC is not =D

Well...I am running on BC racing coilovers for my Aurion.

They are quite solid and going well.

The ride comfy is not that hard at all tho.

I've researched before I bought them and the feedbacks from the Internet of BC Racing is getting positive feedbacks.

You can see the link below and most of people were happy with BC Racing coilovers (45pages, more than 1,100 replies, almost all positive).

BC Racing Coilovers - NASIOC

I am sure it's not the best for all Coilover suspension range but I can say BC Racing is pretty good for it's money value.

BTW, BC racing and D2, G4 are not the SAME. I wonder you have tried any of these.

Is Buddy Club (some people abbreviate as BC) different from BC-Racing? They seem to both produce coilovers..

BC Racing stands for Bor-Chuann Racing.

So yeah they are different.

BC Racing produce coilovers for other companies, not buddy club.

yes, if you are spending less than $1500 on coilovers then they are cheap crap. Made in Taiwan. BC, G4's, D2's, Ksport... all the same

Negative.

Fact: BCs are not made by the same company as the ones that make G4s and D2s. I confirmed this with a representative from their Taiwanese international trade office + the guy JIN bought his coilovers from (an importer from New Zealand who sells them over the internet on ebay as well).

Assumptions: People who think all cheap coilovers are made by the same company in Taiwan, thus the general assumption that all Taiwanese products are crap.

Speculation: Bor Chuann (BC) are said to make coilovers for HKS and numerous other lesser known aftermarket support companies in Japan, but sprayed a different colour. I've come across a few threads that say that, but I cannot confirm 100%

If you actually go search through some google junk, you'd come across a few genuine threads (namely Subaru & Honda forums) whose users have nothing but praise for the BC coilovers. Don't know about performance under heavy track work, but they have also noted these are really good products to use for the price you pay, under drift condition.

Edited by Jaaassseeee

Yeah, I've read good things about BC-Racing coilovers.. D2's on the other hand.. I've seen a mixed bag of feedback. With the negatives being quite scary.. one said that his coils dropped out when the car was lifted.. =\

one said that his coils dropped out when the car was lifted.. =\

Impossible if it was a coilover, I suspect some poetic license was used there. Unless his car is like the Mazda 6 and they have the spring separate to the strut.

Yeah, I've read good things about BC-Racing coilovers.. D2's on the other hand.. I've seen a mixed bag of feedback. With the negatives being quite scary.. one said that his coils dropped out when the car was lifted.. =\

?.........riiiiight well i have d2's 8th hand ones i dont know how many cars these have been in since daviboy's and the car they were in before that and so on.....

anyway yes they are clunky yes they are stiff yes they do get a knock in the pillow ball mount so you get a new one from d2 for 50 bucks and your done ive lowered my car to the point where the tyre isnt tucking gaurd but im running 215/40/17's why? cause they were free lol! anyway they grab on the gaurd lip going over bumps if i rolled them they would be fine

point is they arent that bad but if you want a soft ride dont get them

You have to go and try to hitch a ride with some people with D2's on their corolla. Coilovers are just not for me, I discovered it the expensive way.

Its a personal preference though, as soft for some is hard for others. Also don't be fooled by these so called 'adjustable' coilovers, the amount of adjustment that you can possibly make is quite misleading. Also how often will you be adjusting your height?? So back to your original quesiton, yes your ride quality will suffer and will be more harsher then your current setup.

Unless your prepared to spend up big (we are saying 3K or more, possibly even more then taht) then you will be hard pressed to find a set of shock/spring that will be nice and comfy like stock and nice and firm around the corners. I'm sure Bilstein and Ohlins have a few products in their rang that will suit your application but not your price.

I don't know how comfortable your car would be with low profile tyres and stiff suspension, but I imagine it would be worst.

People been winning races with that BC coilovers.

Sounds like a really good buy for those wishing to get more experience with adjustable dampers.

i know a hand full of guys who race with these at winton, every thing from wrx's, evo, to civic's and dc2r's.. even a sportivo.. and they are all happy with the results..

i was qouted a pretty good price for these last year, something like $1250 not fitted.. and since then they seem to be getting more and more popular.. i know that the guys on EvoOZ.net just finished a big group buy in Jan..