Wheels Mag review of Kluger

forest24

Hi Guys

I am close to buying a 09 Altitude FWD, have been going through online sites for more info about the car when i came across this review in Wheels Magzine , it is about the 2007 car of the year testing , and how the kluger flipped over on its side, this is the link for it http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Car_of_the_Yea...plate=domWheels.

was wondering if any body has discussed this before or has anybody got any advise , because after reading this review I am having second thoughts. to all people with kluger's and families have you faced any issues with body roll big enough to make the Kluger roll over?

This coming from a magazine that includes the following cars that won "Car of the Year"

1969 Holden Torana (LC)

1978 Holden Commodore (VB)

1982 Holden Camira (JB)

1988 Holden Commodore (VN)

2002 Ford Falcon (BA)

2004 Ford Territory (SX)

Wow, the Territory must be better than the Kluger.

This coming from a magazine that includes the following cars that won "Car of the Year"

1969 Holden Torana (LC)

1978 Holden Commodore (VB)

1982 Holden Camira (JB)

1988 Holden Commodore (VN)

2002 Ford Falcon (BA)

2004 Ford Territory (SX)

Wow, the Territory must be better than the Kluger.

Remember that Car Of The Year has always referred to cars released that year, or ones which have received significant-enough updates/upgrades that year. On more than one occasion NO car was awarded because the magazine deemed no new car worthy. I agree with _most_ of their choices for Car Of The Year, a few odd ones stand out though.

at least u know that if it rolls it retains its shape pretty well! lol u'd have 2 b doing something stupid to get it to roll, drive sensibly, it aint a sports car.

Damn those alloy rims for misleading me :D

I haven't rolled ours yet had it in some nice positions though off roading going through the mountain's with a tailor on. Lots of body roll but no roll over, I did feel it laboring fully loaded up steep hills for the first time on our Easter trip.

I added Roll over protection in the form of a chair that I forgot to pack :rolleyes:

Edited by PC XT

Roll over? You put any car into a sideways slide at 100kms an hour through lush grass into the bitumen of an adjoining road and it will flip onto it's side. If the adjoining road had not been there the car would have simply come to a stop.

The question is how it got there, driver error, a fault in the car or a car deliberate pushed beyond any reasonable limit.

Having driven all the cars the this range I'd be more interested in side by side reviews.

I've had mine 11 months, I have done over 30,000kms and it has done everything I've asked of it beautifully.

i agree with Black, Glug and PC...provided u drive the thing as intended...(if u want sensational handling by an X5/6)...and accept that a vehicle of its type is not without its limitations then no issue.

we've had ours for just on 12 months or so...done alomost 12K...most on highway driving...with the usual issues that driving of that nature throws at you...semis...right lane hogs....and people that travel the freeway once every 2 years...and to date not once have i marked the undies because of some inherent stability issue.

as for those that will say "ofcourse these guys will talk up their cars...they spent $X...they are not about to rubbish them"...well i drove just about everything in the $50-$65K bracket...and once u weigh up all the pros and cons its a no brainer

Had mine sideway's through a corner using the handbrake(footbrake). Now that's tricky. Oh and it didn't roll!

Generally, if the tyres are correctly inflated, you stay on the pavement, and don't hit a pot hole or kerb then you should stay upright. If something happens to 'trip' the car, as was the case in the wheels test, then it's a whole different story. Deliberately attempting to put your vehicle in an unstable situation under uncontrolled conditions is extremely stupid, especially on a public road.

2009 Wheels Road Tests Annual includes a comparison (p72) of 7-seater SUVs (Territory AWD vs CX9 vs Tribeca). But no Kluger KX-S AWD!

Wheels wanted to include a Kluger but reportedly, "Toyota cancelled the booking, saying there wasn't a Kluger to spare." Editorial comment suggests the no-show could be linked to the previous Wheels COTY incident where the Kluger was crashed.

Anyhow, looking at the various categories of comparison, I reckon the KX-S would win its fair share, and IMO would probably come out better overall than any of the models compared.

Wheels comparison reaffirms my decision to go with a KX-S. :D

2009 Wheels Road Tests Annual includes a comparison (p72) of 7-seater SUVs (Territory AWD vs CX9 vs Tribeca). But no Kluger KX-S AWD!

Wheels wanted to include a Kluger but reportedly, "Toyota cancelled the booking, saying there wasn't a Kluger to spare." Editorial comment suggests the no-show could be linked to the previous Wheels COTY incident where the Kluger was crashed.

Anyhow, looking at the various categories of comparison, I reckon the KX-S would win its fair share, and IMO would probably come out better overall than any of the models compared.

Wheels comparison reaffirms my decision to go with a KX-S. :D

But wheels would have used a Grande for the comparison so that they could say it was too expensive, even though it has more equipment.

Had mine sideway's through a corner using the handbrake(footbrake). Now that's tricky. Oh and it didn't roll!

Generally, if the tyres are correctly inflated, you stay on the pavement, and don't hit a pot hole or kerb then you should stay upright. If something happens to 'trip' the car, as was the case in the wheels test, then it's a whole different story. Deliberately attempting to put your vehicle in an unstable situation under uncontrolled conditions is extremely stupid, especially on a public road.

Hope your not suggesting what I did was on a public road? And what are "uncontrolled conditions"?

I was more getting at how it's not an easy task using the footbrake to get it sideways compared to using a handbrake.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

did a few sharp turn when accerating hard on round about , was pushing it more than normal driving conditions, was happy with the results, it really stuck on the road, very little body roll as well as compared with other SUV, and this was a FWD. happy with it

I race a Mazda RX7 and own a KX-S Kluger AWD and I have to say you would have to be a totally farken useless cuunt to roll one of these cars! My Kluger handles amazingly well, but hey I only hold a lap record for RX7's at my old local track and build cars so what would I know compared to some ***** wipe magazine peanut :lol:

I race a Mazda RX7 and own a KX-S Kluger AWD and I have to say you would have to be a totally farken useless cuunt to roll one of these cars! My Kluger handles amazingly well, but hey I only hold a lap record for RX7's at my old local track and build cars so what would I know compared to some ***** wipe magazine peanut :lol:

I agree fully RR

Its Funny how we have so many Rotary fans on here now, I use to own and Race a placid RX2....OR 2... For over 10 years or so. Rick Shaw Showed me how to go around corners really fast on the circuit, I remember spinning onto the middle of the grass on the dog leg at Oran Park the second time I was in the car with him, I freaked a bit when the tail of the car overtook the front as it got air born on the corner it was like it happened in slow motion and when we hit the grass side ways at speed I thought this is going to dig in and roll ....It didn't it slid even faster...did another 360.... stopped I looked at Rick and said are you OK he said you learn by your mistakes and if you don't do that you are not trying hard enough!! The car was full of grass clippings as the windows were open....It was pretty funny we were both covered in them. I selected first gear and continued the day a bit wiser and getting use to the newly installed limited slip diff.

Moral of the story It takes a far bit of real bad attitude and instability to roll a car on the flat, add grass then bitumen or a gutter, high speed, and a knob behind the wheel with a attitude and you might just get the Wheels result!

Have any of us rolled our Klugers? NO :)

As Andrew has said The Wheel story has also been covered in other posts on hear over a year ago.... My view has not changed we are very happy with ours, I would hate to drive it every day its too big and lofty, that's why I still have my XT....Funny the Wife says the same about the XT She calls it a Truck! :(

Edited by PC XT