Crappy fuel consumption

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not fill up the tank and go for a day trip somewhere that you can do mostly HWY driving. A couple of hours driving in each direction mostly on the HWY should give you a great indication of your ideal fuel economy. When I do this I get about 7.1L/100km instead of ~8.5L/100km mixed HWY/city/urban. And it's probably good for the engine (and your own sanity) to give the car a break from the usual trudgery of city/traffic driving.

Gav.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I will be getting the car serviced over the next week or two anyway so hopefully that might help.

Just wondering if it might be the style of driving - I don't really ride the clutch often - only use it when shifting gears, and when slowing down I downshift to 3rd gear, switch to neutral and let the car slow down naturally to a stop.

What's your style of driving guys?

My max is abt 470km from a full tank on my 1ZZ with all city driving.

Hahaha... what are you guys doing with your cars :P

my record for the best fuel comsumption ever for me :P is 649.3km out of a full tank ;)

Evo

I've been chatting to Daz, who previously owned the Stivo.. and he was getting an average of 5-600km out of it. He was using Mobil 98 whereas I've changed to BP ultimate 98... shouldn't make that much of a difference though, especially after a few refills.

I've been refilling once the petrol light comes on or just before.. so really... I should be able to add another 60-80km to it.

Getting an oil change and cleaning the extractors should hopefully help abit.

I also might look at getting the pod filter connected to my injen CAI cleaned. Are there any instructions on the forums about this?

Dave.

Damn, it seems to me some of you guys bought the wrong car :lol:

My record since I have the car is 475 km. Average of about 415km on a tank of Shell 98 V-power. And a few years ago when I followed the Gumball 3000 when they drove trough Belgium I had to refill after only 280 km :D (that was an expensive night !)

Anyway, I know I have a heavy foot but getting 600 km out of a tank looks absolutely impossible to me.

you cant give your consumption by quoting km per tank. Whats a tank? was it full to start with? Did you use it all? Who knows. The only real measurement you can use is litres per 100km.

Fill up so that it almost overflows, theres fuel in the tank nozzle that you can see, then you know its full. Then reset the trip, and drive. When its time to fill up, however many litres you put in til its full again is how many litres you have used. read the trip meter, then you can work out litres per 100km.

Formula is Litres / km * 100

I average between 8.5 and 9 around the city, and between 6.5 and 7.5 on the highway. 03 Corolla Sportivo, modified, with 125,000km on the clock.

o micky i see, will use that formula next time. the 579 was from a full tank 95octane, from fuel visible to the filler neck right down to when i almost thought the fuel was going to run out. i mainly ran it low so i can put 98 in her.

evo 648 is my best.

i always fill up once the light comes on as there are 12litres odd left.

i'm sure it's done before, ppl should post up their kms once the light comes on. once it's on, it doens't count if it goes off and comes back on, the second that baby flashes, post up

what ppl think? post away

whitestivo

evo 648 is my best.

i always fill up once the light comes on as there are 12litres odd left.

i'm sure it's done before, ppl should post up their kms once the light comes on. once it's on, it doens't count if it goes off and comes back on, the second that baby flashes, post up

what ppl think? post away

whitestivo

Not reliable at all. Fill tank up with fuel, drive till light comes on then fill up again. You then know how many kms and how many litres you've used.

how is that not reliable, surely toyota set... actually how do toyota set the fuel light coming on.

we could always be like the episode on seinfeld, when they just keep driving the saab with the fuel light on.

if someone get 800 out of a tank, (which is technically possible), i'll be nominating them for member of the month.

photo proof required of course.

whitestivo

Mickey_Tee hit the nail on the head (see my first post also), you need to fill up, go for a long drive, waste half or more of the tank, fill up again, and count the litres against the distanced travelled. It's the only way to be sure. I really don't trust my fuel light to come on at 10L or whatever it is, every single time, so I use the average consumption method of L/100km.

Gav.

you need to see that seinfeld episode. living life on the edge gav.

i once drove with the light on for an hour and a half in the middle of nowhere... gotta say, pretty exciting stuff.

i think the original poster is working out should be getting a lot more ks

whitetsivo

lol i like where this is going, compare to see who's car is better at going the distance, its kinda like members of a shooting club showing how better and bigger their gun is, its like comparing *ick sizes.. lmao