Short Shifter

Lupetto

Hey guys

Started pulling appart the Shifter last week and decided to cut it down to make the throw shorter (i still need to adjust the hinge to actually make it a proper short shifter)

After pulling appart the console and unscrewing the gear knob i measured how low i wanted it. After much mucking around and trying out for 4 or 5 days with one height ive decided to cut it further down.

If any one has ever done this let me know your oppinion.. also if any 1 has a walk through on how to adjust the hinge point? (it has a propper term but i cant remember it) Ide love to hear about it.

Will post pictures later on this afternoon.

I did this with one of my Mazdas, and found that just cutting the top down was good enough for me.

But if you want to shorten the throw furhter, you will need to weld extra material on under the pivot.

Mine was a solid link shifter, not a cable shifter, but the principals should all be the same.

Cheers, Gav.

I did this with one of my Mazdas, and found that just cutting the top down was good enough for me.

But if you want to shorten the throw furhter, you will need to weld extra material on under the pivot.

Mine was a solid link shifter, not a cable shifter, but the principals should all be the same.

Cheers, Gav.

I have noticed a huge improvement with just cutting it down. Theres a DIY on here on how to weld the Hinge but the only prob i have is thats taking it up another notch with a risk.

If i stuff it up on cutting off the hinge and rewelding im going to have to buy a new shifter.... and ive called a dozen wreckers and no one sells them sepperate... WHAT IS IT WITH ADELAIDE!!!!

So... you're doing this on a shifter... so, Auto?

If you search Toyotanation for "levoc shifter DIY install" in the Gen 3 & 4 section, you'll come across a guy who cuts the shaft down and installs the Levoc shifter... quite nice really.

So... you're doing this on a shifter... so, Auto?

If you search Toyotanation for "levoc shifter DIY install" in the Gen 3 & 4 section, you'll come across a guy who cuts the shaft down and installs the Levoc shifter... quite nice really.

nah its manual :) hate auto (sorry auto fans )

and yea i was reading up on that last night, only prob i have is taking out the shifter out the socket... quite hard.

Providing shifter is similar to mine, you can heat the pivot ball up and try to bash it 'up' the shaft with a hammer, then cut a couple of inches off the main shaft. You will undoubtedly find you will need to raise the whole shifter assembly so the linkages aren't mashing on the floorpan.

nice job, wish i did that to my previous gen3.

although i wouldnt recommend getting a momo shifter, big waste of money imo, especially since it looks like you already have a trd shifter anyway.

Providing shifter is similar to mine, you can heat the pivot ball up and try to bash it 'up' the shaft with a hammer, then cut a couple of inches off the main shaft. You will undoubtedly find you will need to raise the whole shifter assembly so the linkages aren't mashing on the floorpan.

This is what I got done for the AE102 (well, Davo got it done and I bought it off him when he sold his car). Didn't cut the shaft at all (means you don't have to muck around with welding or cutting a new thread), had to space the shifter housing up with some washers and cut some of the plastic away.

Reduced the throw significantly, made it a little notchier and harder but much faster to shift, and because it's spaced up the height hasn't changed too much.

I cut mine down 80mm. Happy with the results. Think i'll leave it how it is. :D

That looks really nice, What Knob are you ussing?

Hey RoM2nV cheers bud, And yea i really dont like MOMO knobs... Though im thinking about changing the sock for the shifter with a red momo to get the TRD collour cordination right.

and yea its a TRD knob ;)

White Black and Red are the colour matching for this car :)

white Car Red Calibers Black Rims ;) SEx on Wheels once ive finished :P

:D Thanks. Its just a SAAS knob that a friend gave me as a gift but i really like the look of it.

Ahaha yea it looks sick ;)

is it heavy with the throw?

Also does any one else here find it its a little harder to put it into gear? it feels like theres something in the socket ball and socket hole thats causing a little friction... ive re greased it but it didnt help much -_-

Nah all's good and gear changing is perfect.

The only problem i have is the top of the gear knob.... it can get DAMN hot when parked in the sun for a while...only burnt hand once b4 learning 2 cover it :o :D

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap!!! 8cm?!?!?!? How does it feel now? Is it harder to shift as you lost leverage or are you using a weighted shift knob?

Holy crap!!! 8cm?!?!?!? How does it feel now? Is it harder to shift as you lost leverage or are you using a weighted shift knob?

At first i was concerned i had gone too short, but not anymore!!

Shifting is excellent. Its so much more fun to drive!!

The shift knob im using has a solid metal top so yes i would consider it to be weighted as its reasonably heavy.

Im really really happy with it :D

At first i was concerned i had gone too short, but not anymore!!

Shifting is excellent. Its so much more fun to drive!!

The shift knob im using has a solid metal top so yes i would consider it to be weighted as its reasonably heavy.

Im really really happy with it :D

You've inspired me to do this lol. Is it hard to tap a thread into it afterwards? Or do you just try to cut the shifter as perpendicular as possible?

Edited by sv21_ownR

Since the throw angle is still the same with the shifter cut, is it really faster than stock?

Whereas a short shifter kit actually decreases the throw angle while still retaining the standard height of the shifter.

Just reading this, thats all.

http://www.twmperformance.com/short-shifter.html

Since the throw angle is still the same with the shifter cut, is it really faster than stock?

Whereas a short shifter kit actually decreases the throw angle while still retaining the standard height of the shifter.

Yes, although it's drawback is that it increases force required to shift by decreasing distance.

Mechanical Advantage = Force x distance. M.A. via first order lever (see-saw type)

If you think about it, it'll make sense. Maybe even play around with a rubber and pencil to get an idea.

Don't do a DIY shortshifter lol.

Your car is a 2004 Camry, 2AZ-FE. You can put in the short throw shifter from the Scion TC. Megan, TRD, DR ISO, NST makes short throw shifters that you can adapt to your car. My friend put on the TC short shifter onto his 2008 Camry.