changing oil

corhijas

gday all

just wondering what you all think of changing the oil without changing the filter and if it can be done easily or not.

you know drain the oil through the sump plug and just freshen with new oil.

all opinions would be welcomed

thanks and cheers corey

I reckon it'll be a waste of your new fresh oil.

Oil filters are about 15+ dollars each which isn't a lot comparative to what you will spend when your engine screws up.

I would say change the filter with every oil change because that little bit of dirty/expired/used/old oil will contaminate your new oil and omit the purpose of the oil change/service.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

:lol:

I would highly advise against it. You would be pretty much just wasting that oil change. Think about it, the oil filter is there to filter out suspended particles in the oil. As with any other filter, it's flow is reduced as it becomes more and more full. If you just change the oil, and the filter is starting to get 'full' you are going to run the risk of damaging something due to the lower rate of flow.

That was years ago .... cars have changed and the internal tolerances are alot smaller , thus the oil needs to be clean and properly filtered.

Are you really that tight for money that you want to save 20 bucks on the oil filter ??

It reminds me of someone I know that bought a BA Falcon and converted it to run on LPG , with the system he has , the car starts on petrol and at a certain point , automatically switches over to LPG.

Now , what this clown does , when he fills up his LPG tank , he fills his petrol tank with ....... 5 dollars of petrol ! Thats about 4 litres of petrol.

Now of course , he tends to run out of petrol before he runs out of a tank of lpg , and is having to constantly drive around with the petrol light on and stopping to buy 5 dollars in petrol.

And how much money does doing this save him ? Not a cent. .... and even if in some way it does save him an odd cent or two , who in their right mind wants to have to keep stopping at servos to keep topping up 5 dollars in petrol ?

Penny wise , pound foolish.

Edited by prometheus

Are you really that tight for money that you want to save 20 bucks on the oil filter ??

i didnt say i was saving money or that i was tight matee,was just a general question.

Edited by corhijas

10k on an oil filter but 5 on oil , what the? definatly change your filter otherwise leave the same oil in with that filter not worth the effort without foing both

When i did my oil change the oil was black, so is the filter...

and the filter itself holds about 200ml of dirty oil too, just bleed from the sump means u still have about 200 odd oil of black burnt oil in the engine when u pour in the good stuff...

When i did my oil change the oil was black, so is the filter...

and the filter itself holds about 200ml of dirty oil too, just bleed from the sump means u still have about 200 odd oil of black burnt oil in the engine when u pour in the good stuff...

Black oil doesn't mean it's burnt, it just means it's doing its job.

thanks fellas-was just wondering as i know old mechanics yrs ago used to just change the oil every 5000 then the filter at 10000.

thats not a bad idea when you think about it....dont totally write it off straight away.... i mean 5000kms isnt much and IMO a car's engine would have some problems if it has an awful amount of particles built up in the oil filter or sump, in that short space of time... and it also depends on a few factors, the engine condition, your driving habits and type of oil that you use just for example.....

But in saying all that, on the other side of the things, it is good to know that with every oil change, using an equally new filter will both ensure your engine is in tip top condition.... each to their own, i guess but i agree with the others that you should change filters with every oil change. Whats $20 or so when it regards the health of your car's most important and vital component.....

Also, i've found some mechanics like to lower costs however possible during servicing intervals and just depends how much you value/trust their expertise

my Australian-2-cent-coin-1.jpgAustralian-2-cent-coin-1.jpg worth plus tip

Changing your oil only at 5,000kms and the filter at 10,000kms isn't really all that bad...

Toyota Diesel service intervals are exactly that on some of the Landcruisers anyway... Replace engine oil only at the 5k intervals and oil filter every 10k...

It's certainly better than not changing the oil at all :) ...

Wait. I'm confused (and perhapse unknowledgeable and ill informed).....

Aurions require a factory service every 10,000KMs, but require a oil and oil filter change every 5000KM?

:huh:

Edited by Hidden Taco

Aurions require a factory service every 10,000KMs, but require a oil and oil filter change every 5000KM?

That was just the general guidelines for most Toyota's excluding diesel models, and previous models of the Camry (not sure until when though). The Toyota service schedule for the Aurion has been bumped up to 15,000km for 'normal conditions' and 7,500km for 'severe conditions'. Both service intervals include an oil plus filter change.

The way I do it is get Toyota to service it at the 15,000km interval, and I perform my own oil plus filter change at 7,500km.

Wait. I'm confused (and perhapse unknowledgeable and ill informed).....

:huh:

Most people choose to do oil-changes themselves every 5000km, especially on older cars which are starting to burn a bit of oil which means you can go through a whole sump-full of oil in about 7-8000km, which means 10,000km ain't going to cut it.

I've heard the "oil at 5000k, filter at 10000k" too, mostly from Americans so there must be some history behind it. But once again, Ryco filters are rarely more than $10 (and they're decent enough, if you insist on genuine Toyota ones then they're like $20) so you're not saving that much money and it only adds an extra couple of minutes to the oil change to do the filter too.

Thanks DJ and Hiro.

Looks like I will have the educate my self on changing the oil and oil filter on my Aurion. That'll be fun!

Good thing for me my brother is a car nut!

Geez, I never thought owning a car that I actually like and appreciate would be so much effort.

PS. I read the oil change part of the FAQ. thanks again DJ

Edited by Hidden Taco

Looks like I will have the educate my self on changing the oil and oil filter on my Aurion. That'll be fun!

Good thing for me my brother is a car nut!

Geez, I never thought owning a car that I actually like and appreciate would be so much effort.

Changing the oil on the Aurion is shockingly easy. And much cleaner than other cars with the traditional style oil filter in my opinion. A good guide is the following PDF for the Toyota Avalon which also applies to the Toyota Aurion. You will need a 3/8 drive socket extension and a 65mm/67mm cap style oil filter wrench if you would like to perform this procedure.

Avalon Oil Change (PDF)

The sealing O rings and hose adapter dont come with the filter do they?

All part of the filter when you buy it. You can pick them up from your dealer for around $19.65 including GST or for $23.20 on eBay shipped. Depends on which way you look at it. If it costs you more than $4 in petrol to get to your dealer and back, eBay would work out just the same.

The sealing O rings and hose adapter dont come with the filter do they?

All part of the filter when you buy it. You can pick them up from your dealer for around $19.65 including GST or for $23.20 on eBay shipped. Depends on which way you look at it. If it costs you more than $4 in petrol to get to your dealer and back, eBay would work out just the same.

cool thanks.

Lucky for me I have a Toyota Part Distributor literally 5 minutes up the road.