Aurion, Falcon, Commodore ANCAP

tekkyy

As you probably know, Aurion is the "worst" and Falcon is the "best" Australian large car by ANCAP rating.

2006 Aurion 30.03

2006 Commodore 27.45

2008 Commodore 33.45

2008 Falcon 34.61

But whats the real situation?

source: www.ancap.com.au

Model --- head/neck chest upper legs lower legs --- head chest abdomen pelvis

2006 Aurion --- 4.00 4.00 2.00 3.59 --- 4.00 3.44 4.00 4.00

2006 Comm --- 4.00 2.70 2.00 2.76 --- 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

2008 Falcon --- 4.00 2.92 4.00 3.69 --- 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

2008 Comm --- 4.00 2.70 4.00 2.76 --- 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

Model --- front-offset HIC --- side-impact HIC

2006 Aurion --- 725 --- 47

2006 Comm --- 314 --- 49

2008 Falcon --- 201 --- 117

2008 Comm --- 314 --- 25

• Aurion has particularly good frontal-offset chest protection, the only car* ever to achieve it
  • Aurion has particularly poor frontal-offset head protection
  • Falcon has particularly poor side-impact head protection
  • Commodore has particularly poor front-offset lower leg protection

*I farmed ANCAP large and medium car results (including 2005 BMW 320d 2006 Holden Commodore VE Omega 2006 Toyota Aurion AT-X 2006 Toyota Camry Altise 2006 exus IS250 2007 Ford Mondeo Hatch 2007 Mercedes Benz C200 CDI 2008 Audi A4 2008 Ford Falcon XT 2008 Holden Commodore VE Omega 2008 Mazda Mazda6 2008 Honda Accord Euro 2009 Skoda Superb)

Its sad Toyota just wouldn't do that little bit more like Holden did with Commodore. Steering column padding, pole test and passenger seat belt. Grab 35.05 and be done with it. Show the people which car is actually structurally better.

As you probably know, Aurion is the "worst" and Falcon is the "best" Australian large car by ANCAP rating.

2006 Aurion 30.03

2006 Commodore 27.45

2008 Commodore 33.45

2008 Falcon 34.61

But whats the real situation?

source: www.ancap.com.au

Model --- head/neck chest upper legs lower legs --- head chest abdomen pelvis

2006 Aurion --- 4.00 4.00 2.00 3.59 --- 4.00 3.44 4.00 4.00

2006 Comm --- 4.00 2.70 2.00 2.76 --- 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

2008 Falcon --- 4.00 2.92 4.00 3.69 --- 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

2008 Comm --- 4.00 2.70 4.00 2.76 --- 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00

Model --- front-offset HIC --- side-impact HIC

2006 Aurion --- 725 --- 47

2006 Comm --- 314 --- 49

2008 Falcon --- 201 --- 117

2008 Comm --- 314 --- 25

• Aurion has particularly good frontal-offset chest protection, the only car* ever to achieve it
  • Aurion has particularly poor frontal-offset head protection
  • Falcon has particularly poor side-impact head protection
  • Commodore has particularly poor front-offset lower leg protection

*I farmed ANCAP large and medium car results (including 2005 BMW 320d 2006 Holden Commodore VE Omega 2006 Toyota Aurion AT-X 2006 Toyota Camry Altise 2006 exus IS250 2007 Ford Mondeo Hatch 2007 Mercedes Benz C200 CDI 2008 Audi A4 2008 Ford Falcon XT 2008 Holden Commodore VE Omega 2008 Mazda Mazda6 2008 Honda Accord Euro 2009 Skoda Superb)

Its sad Toyota just wouldn't do that little bit more like Holden did with Commodore. Steering column padding, pole test and passenger seat belt. Grab 35.05 and be done with it. Show the people which car is actually structurally better.

Solution: Don't crash, the Aurion is WAY too nice a car to destroy. :)

Wow tekkyy. I've noticed around here you are way into this safety issue stuff. You always complain about how Toyota are so behind. It's makes me ask why you got one then in the first place if safety seems to be paramount.

In my opinion, I'm not overly concerned about whether the Falcon etc is safer than the Aurion. I do care for my safety, but not THAT much.

then perhaps you should get a FORD then... with all the problems they have.. SURELY they have to improve on a certain area in order for them to convince some to buy their cars right? i always laugh when i saw their TV ads comparing their fuel efficiency against Toyota...

If you note, Toyota specifically said in a recent press release about the Camry remaining at 4 stars because "they don't have respect for ANCAP as a real world guide", they don't see the need for spending heaps of money to get a result on paper that might not really apply to the real world - and since ANCAP ratings are flawed due to cars still being able to get 4 and 5 star results despite significant deficiencies in some areas (say rear-vision for any Commodore in the last 10 years), they prefer to say "We have a solid all-round 4 star car".

I don't know about you guys but I wear one of these every time I drive any Toyota

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=ubwuAAAAEBAJ

It does get a little warm when you add on the fact I also live in a big plastic bubble.

Oh well..... The price I pay for a reliable car.

Edited by Hidden Taco

If you note, Toyota specifically said in a recent press release about the Camry remaining at 4 stars because "they don't have respect for ANCAP as a real world guide", they don't see the need for spending heaps of money to get a result on paper that might not really apply to the real world - and since ANCAP ratings are flawed due to cars still being able to get 4 and 5 star results despite significant deficiencies in some areas (say rear-vision for any Commodore in the last 10 years), they prefer to say "We have a solid all-round 4 star car".

NICE ONE.. Solid all rounder is the way to go..

anyway did they take into consideration in ANCAP the amount of time the FORDs spent in workshop due to certain failure.. then they will win hands down.. "More time in workshop = less time on road = less accident = SAFETY" :)

Edited by Ingres

Nice one there Hidden Taco.

That actually reminds me. I've seen around the Brisbane area twice, some woman who drives around with a tinted face shield (as in a workshop face shield, example below) and gloves. Was the funniest thing to see in my rear view mirror.

adjustablefaceshieldcan.jpg

It just makes me laugh like back many years ago when I was a kid and saw a family of 4 get into a car and then all putting bicycle helmets on.

Well the Australian sun is pretty harsh compared to those from Taiwan (where i do see they have gloves and faceshields...) I did get shown their hands getting sunburn from the sun just from driving around during the day time everyday...

i dont think they want to put sun screens over their more expensive skin whitening cream... :P

That actually reminds me. I've seen around the Brisbane area twice, some woman who drives around with a tinted face shield (as in a workshop face shield, example below) and gloves. Was the funniest thing to see in my rear view mirror.

It just makes me laugh like back many years ago when I was a kid and saw a family of 4 get into a car and then all putting bicycle helmets on.

Ya Asian woman especially in China and Taiwan are afraid of the sun.. in Taiwan lots of girls ride their scooters and bikes with a long sleeve cover for their arms to avoid being expose to the sum, they actually sell those covers that works like wearing a long sleeve t-shirt.

One of my Taiwanese friends visit me in Singapore a few years back.. she wore a jacket out everyday and it is 32-35 degrees everyday.. the price to pay when they consider whiter skin a beauty..

Geeez, I would freak out!! Let me guess, she was driving a Honda?

p.s. No offense to Honda lovers but I dislike your cars with a passion.

Geeez, I would freak out!! Let me guess, she was driving a Honda?

I just felt sorry for her poor kid sitting in the passenger seat. If I were her son, I'd be trying to hide myself due to the embarrassment.

I can't remember the car though.

But back on topic, if safety is such a big concern for you tekkyy, what made you settle for an Aurion?

DKJOR I picked the Aurion because its a better car

and Touring wins hands down for equipment level

(let just say...don't take headrests for granted!)

drivetrain is so smooth and powerful (recall my funny test drive? I drove out onto a smooth residental road and carefully took off and some strange beeps came on, I was even more lost when the sales said its the speed warning...I was doing like 65 but I swear it felt like 40)

I was trying to display the numbers to show that Aurion deserves to be on top

just not sure why Toyota isn't doing that little bit more to get there

don't tell me they don't have the resource

for Toyota Australia its peanuts

(all that stuff about disagreeing with ANCAP is PR bs to me, if its like Holden then tmw Toyota might release a 5 star test result with their PR turning around 180 degrees)

Yeah sure , the Falcodores may have more Stars in the safety ratings , but all the safety ratings in the world are not going to save you if you drive beyond the capabilities of your car or your driving skills or experience , or if you drive while being under the influence of alcohol/drugs or just plain tiredness.

The vehicle of choice for young inexperienced drivers to wipe themselves out (and their passengers) in these days seems to be the Commodore.

I mean how often do you see on the news , some young idiot has been speeding and lost control ( often on country roads ) and hit a tree or something like that.

Then we pay for their stupidity via more speed cameras , police radar and so on.

The safest car is the car that is driven in a responsible way , that takes into account road and traffic conditions.

Ok .... end of rant.