Fines for window tint

For NSW

this was in the telegraph today.

Cars with heavily tinted windows will be given an on the spot defect notice after Highway patrol were issued with electronic meters that can immediately check if windows comply with legal tinting limits.

Cars beyond the legal limit could be fined up to $84.while those driving in breach of a defect notice could receive a fine of $254.

NSW laws state that side and rear windows must allow 35 per cent of light to pass through.

At least they tell you where the fixed speed cameras are lol...

Hahaha true that... :(

I lived in NSW for about 11yrs and when i moved back to Vic my mates were wondering what i was talking about when i asked where the fixed speed cameras are...then i realized there mobile down here,so yeah that really sucks...but on a good note in 5 yrs of being back haven't been stopped,booked or hasseled only 2 RBT and 1 drug test in 5yrs,not to bad.

What next?

NSW...the police state :(

I see no problem with this - the 35% law has been in effect for _ages_, just now they've come up with a way of hopefully accurately measuing and enforcing it. Tints which are too dark ARE dangerous, especially at night. Even though the windscreen can't be tinted, it means that you can have a lot of difficulty seeing your side mirrors and out the rear window, which makes changing lanes etc much more dangerous.

Anyone who deliberately tints their windows darker than legal and then drives on the road is an idiot, plain and simple. And I see nothing wrong with the police trying to get idiots off the road. For once this is an announcement to NSW drivers that doesn't effect anyone who isn't an idiot (unlike say the suspension laws that were recently knocked back), so I don't see the concern

Anyone who deliberately tints their windows darker than legal and then drives on the road is an idiot, plain and simple. And I see nothing wrong with the police trying to get idiots off the road. For once this is an announcement to NSW drivers that doesn't effect anyone who isn't an idiot (unlike say the suspension laws that were recently knocked back), so I don't see the concern

All those who I have met with these ridiculous tints know it is illegal and are proud of the idiot status. To help officiate it, I hope that such devices exist/will exist in Victoria, too.

i think some of the undercover traffic management unit cops should test their own window tints in vic. theres one ford territory turbo unmarked car that lurks around the northern suburbs of melbourne. the windows are like a black 2-way mirror.

Edited by lateralus

What next?

I disagree with you hiro. I got my tints at 20% and I don't believe that I'm an idiot driver or is proud of having darker than legal tints. And I know many people who have gotten darker tints to help with the heat especially in black cars. But yes just my opinion

What next?

I disagree with you hiro. I got my tints at 20% and I don't believe that I'm an idiot driver or is proud of having darker than legal tints. And I know many people who have gotten darker tints to help with the heat especially in black cars. But yes just my opinion

i also disagree with u hiro about it not affecting everyone. just like the suspension laws. if a cop sees a P-plater car at night with dark tints they will still pull them over even if it is legal. Its like saying that all P-platers are street racers.. I dont know if ur on ur full licence but police treat u differently when ur on ur P's even if ur not doing anything wrong.

the other week i was tailed by a police car for 40minutes, i had one passanger and was doing under the speed limit. little things that the police try to do to stop the people who are idiots affect EVERYONE.

if a cop sees a P-plater car at night with dark tints they will still pull them over even if it is legal
Just want to chime in and break the P plate stereotype that everyone jumps on.

Green P's; Lowered, Rims, Exhaust, CAI, 20% Tints... Pulled over for speeding; Didnt argue the point, didn't try to get out of it and was prepared to cop the fine - Walked away without even so much as a warning. To say P platers get targeted is too much - It all comes down to the individual and the cop at the time.

On the Tint side of things, its like any modification - you put it on your car; you know its illegal; prepare to cop the fine

Edited by Brad!

seriously though, you guys drive around KNOWING it's illegal... how is that the police's fault?

FFS some of you guys need to wake up. I hope you get busted.

+1... especially the bold part.

What next?

i also disagree with u hiro about it not affecting everyone. just like the suspension laws. if a cop sees a P-plater car at night with dark tints they will still pull them over even if it is legal. Its like saying that all P-platers are street racers.. I dont know if ur on ur full licence but police treat u differently when ur on ur P's even if ur not doing anything wrong.

the other week i was tailed by a police car for 40minutes, i had one passanger and was doing under the speed limit. little things that the police try to do to stop the people who are idiots affect EVERYONE.

Yes, I am on my full license, have been so for about 6 months now. And the talk of getting targetted just because you're a P-plater is rubbish - I was on my Ps for at least 4 years, drove a car with aftermarket halo headlights that are most likely illegal, have an aftermarket exhaust that is most likely too loud, a pod filter that may well be illegal, yet I have never been pulled over except for one speeding ticket (before most of the mods were done, and I was speeding too) and 2, maybe 3 roadside RBTs (as in the bays, not the random cop patrol car pulling you over), and not once did the cops even bother to look at the car - they saw my license, gave me the breath test, I passed, I drove off. I put this down to not driving like a ******* and attracting attention.

If there are people getting darker than 20% tints because it gets too hot inside their car, have they never heard of air-con or opening windows? Both of those are perfectly legal ways to cool a car down. Why the hell you would get darker than legal tints is beyond me, do you like the look of driving inside a black coffin with next to no visibilty?

I can't imagine how dark it is going to be below the legal limit.. mine is within the legal limit and initially i have problem reversing at night as there are no lights inside the compound and the tinting just makes everything darker.. and occasionally there are childrens running around the compound.. i have to always have to open the door and stick out my head just to make sure there are no children behind.. now with reverse camera, it's much much better..

+1 in supporting staying within the Legal limits..

I also am within legal tint and agree with you Ingres.

i have driven a car within tint darker and it was very hard to see out of making it difficult to drive. It had nothing to do with it being a ford :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, they treat you differently if you have an attitude problem, or drive a vehicle that looks it was built with an attitude problem. You may not think you drive badly, but have you seen what your driving looks like from 2 cars behind you?

Did the cop that tailed you for 40 mins actually pull you over for anything? I'm wagering not... and if this is the case, you should be grateful he was just giving you a bit of a scare in the rear view mirror, rather than just pulling you over and doing you for something ludicrous. Reminding you he is there is effective road policing.

...and to reiterate what Hiro/MR22ZZ/DJKOR/Brad! have already said... if your tint is legal, you have nothing to worry about. If you get pulled over and checked with this machine, you will only get booked if it is too dark. Likewise; if you don't drive around showing off the sound of your intake, you are not going to be a target for the blues and twos.

Drive within the limits, or quit whinging. Please choose one... (sigh)

Edited by Leroy

I can't imagine how dark it is going to be below the legal limit.. mine is within the legal limit and initially i have problem reversing at night as there are no lights inside the compound and the tinting just makes everything darker.. and occasionally there are childrens running around the compound.. i have to always have to open the door and stick out my head just to make sure there are no children behind.. now with reverse camera, it's much much better..

+1 in supporting staying within the Legal limits..

I totally agree with you, legal tints are already hard enough to see behind you when there's little lighting and a spoiler makes it even moreso. If I didn't have sensors I would definitely be adding on a camera as the height of the car combined with so little visibility is just pure dangerous.

They should probably make it so that you have a permit before you're allowed to install a tint that's darker than legal.. But then again, it is your decision to put it on in the first place and by doing so you are taking the risk with nobody else to blame.

No, they treat you differently if you have an attitude problem, or drive a vehicle that looks it was built with an attitude problem. You may not think you drive badly, but have you seen what your driving looks like from 2 cars behind you?

Did the cop that tailed you for 40 mins actually pull you over for anything? I'm wagering not... and if this is the case, you should be grateful he was just giving you a bit of a scare in the rear view mirror, rather than just pulling you over and doing you for something ludicrous. Reminding you he is there is effective road policing.

...and to reiterate what Hiro/MR22ZZ/DJKOR/Brad! have already said... if your tint is legal, you have nothing to worry about. If you get pulled over and checked with this machine, you will only get booked if it is too dark. Likewise; if you don't drive around showing off the sound of your intake, you are not going to be a target for the blues and twos.

Drive within the limits, or quit whinging. Please choose one... (sigh)

Absolutely agreed. I'm a P plater and have had a couple of police run-ins in my time, first time was about 50m from my house, forgot to pick up my wallet when I went to go out and also had some kids nick the magnetic P plates off my car. Copper was nice and liked my explanation of "I'm just a ****head officer" and let me be on my way with a reminder that I should carry my license at all times.

Second time around I was speeding through some quiet streets after getting annoyed at someone tail gating me when I was doing 50, put my foot down and was approaching a roundabout when I noticed a cop on the other side, got on the brakes and a wheel unloaded over a bump and I made a little screech while pulling up. I pulled over before he even flashed me because I knew I stuffed up and he told me thats why he was only giving me a warning.

Regardless of if you're a P plater or not, give the cops respect and they'll respect you. I really don't know where all this "P platers are targetted" stuff comes from, because I've only ever had good experiences with the law while driving, maybe the people that are complaining simply have an attitude problem.

Back on subject, I think this is an OK thing, I mean, I run a 35% tint on my Aurion and there are times when I feel like it is too dark, especially at night as it is harder to judge just how far behind you the lights of another car are.

Maybe its just me, but I'm satisfied with that. Like any illegal mod, you have no right to be upset when you get defected for it, the laws are clearly written, get over it.

Regardless of if you're a P plater or not, give the cops respect and they'll respect you. I really don't know where all this "P platers are targetted" stuff comes from.

Totally Agreed. I always believe this "Rank is what you wear, Respect is what you earned." if you want people to respect you, first you have to respect them and earn their respect.. cops meet lots of A**H**E on the road everyday so why should they respect you if you don't respect them or the law in the first place??

Perhaps an explanation of P platers being targeted is the statistics of offenders, P platers tend to be younger and prone to speeding, modification and such (i am not saying all but the stats or percentage are higher) so naturally when police are given the stats, they will pay more attention to them..it is like high crime rate places, police often pay more attention to suspicious people in these areas etc.. Just my 2 cents opinion..

Edited by Ingres

At least they tell you where the fixed speed cameras are lol...

sorry to be so callous but speeding by a fixed speed camera is something i would laugh at.

also, a good way to avoid being fined for side window tints is to roll around with the windows down B)

Edited by RoM2nV

also, a good way to avoid being fined for side window tints is to roll around with the windows down B)

Then why the hell do you need any tinting at all then?????????????????????????????????????????????

Epic Fail.

So it looks cool when parked lol...

I've got the standard 35% tint on mine now and it's just not dark enough...

Had 5% on my old seca and never had a problem driving at night, parking on the street or anything...

Thinking I'll strip mine off and go down to 20%, will look better black on black anyway :)

My first car i had 5% on it and drove it on my red p's and didn't really ever has a problem. Next car i got 35% (legal limit) it was just to light. Now on the stivo i have 18% and its fine. I have never ever had a problem with the police with it and have always been able to see cars unless they have their headlights off at night.

I think maybe because i lernt to drive with dark windows, i got used to it. I am also a fully qualified tinter aswell so maybe that might of helped.

I relize that if a get pulled over i have to cop it on the chin and i accept that. But i think that all these dickheads with mirror tint and that chrome red/blue tint should be fined like no tommorow., It is a major distraction. The other reason why i have dark tint is so people can't see in at night and nick stuff like headunits ect. It is a security and health thing not a looks thing.

Then why the hell do you need any tinting at all then?????????????????????????????????????????????

Epic Fail.

So people cant see what gear you have inside your car when its parked at the shops, nightlife areas etc.