Camry Aus attitude?

peregrine

Hi, Why do so many AUS writers continually label every camry model as white goods, boring, etc. American writers don't seem to find this so. One wanders if they get some sort of pleasure, or feel they have to follow the leader with these comments. If true are all the buyers granddads? or one step from the grave? How come for years its been one of the top selling cars in Aus and I believe the best selling car in the USA? Its a great car and as a V6 has excellent all round ability to match anything in its class.

Edited by peregrine

i personally agree with those comments.

camrys are boring, appliance like cars... just like your base model commodores and falcons (those are slightly more interesting due to more power and RWD)

that dosent mean they are bad cars, they are very good cars... but they are very un-inspiring.

if toyota made some sort of sports version (ala TRD aurion) maybe they would become a bit more interesting.

... American writers don't seem to find this so.

I think you will find that the American's also have a similar view to the Camry as we do here. You also need to remember that there is a larger population in America and this makes the car more common there.

How come for years its been one of the top selling cars in Aus and I believe the best selling car in the USA?

The price. That's what makes it a good seller.

Most writers here say the Camry is boring, but often liek the SE (US Version of the Sportivo) because it;s sporty. The other models really are boring. I'm makign my mom's base model '05 Camry into an SE model, slowly, lol.

Well, Camrys sure as hell aren't sports cars. The price, reliability and quality make it a huge seller to the older generation. They don't care really what it looks like, as long as it works.

There are sports versions there... but just because the vast majority of people label them as "boring old people cars" doesn't mean that they're a crap car. At the end of the day, Falcons and Commodores are the EXACT same thing. They were marketed for the same type of audience too... bogans happen to go for those cars moreso and mod them because they're generally more powerful, RWD and can "rip fully sic skids" like half of Caboolture does.

it comes down to the individual car though. as bks said, most likely because of the fleet reputation they seem boring and plain. but i dont think any aurion or corolla owners on here have bragging rights, a lot of them look like nans car

if anyone contests to camrys being boring, come for a ride with me. ill show you how all camrys should go, drive and stop :P

Edited by lateralus

I honestly love my camry and I bought it out of choice and I'm 22 years old. My previous car was a Nissan Pulsar with alloy wheels and all those things kids love. The camry I've got is so simple to drive and it's amazingly poised and handles very well for a large car whilst retaining its solidity. Like Lateralus has said, it comes to personal choice. Cars in Australia have traditionally been RWD - focussing on the Commodore and Falcon. All the base models on the Commodore, Falcon, Camry and Aurion are bland - purely because they're the base model. This is evident even in brands such as Subaru and Honda.

I read heaps of reviews before buying a Camry, particularly the input of people on this forum who are very knowledgeable when it comes to the Camry model. Obviously, it's personal preference. The Camry offers a nice solid look that's reliable and spacious for taller people in particular, a car that's "sporty" is only differentiated from the base model in terms of a few pieces of plastic termed as a "bodykit". Consumers pay a premium for this alongside better seats and more speakers.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy cuz the Camry in my opinion is one of the best cars out there in terms of value, reliability and versatility.

Hi Thanks for the response and yes I agree with most of what is said. However how come base model Falcons and Comodores aren't also constantly labeled boring etc by the same writers? My car is a 1999 Vienta Grande and is a long way from base model, also the V6 camry in1999 by the way was one second faster than the then VT Comodore V6 over 400 meters. I find it a joy to take off from the lights and leave the Fords and Coms in my wake. May be they just cant drive and the frustrated looks when they zoom past when sitting at 60 is classic. Ive had new Holden's and Ford's in the past. Fairmont a great car, 2 Holden's one blown up engine and back in the workshop just about every week with both Holden's. Build quality not a patch in my book !!!

but i dont think any aurion or corolla owners on here have bragging rights, a lot of them look like nans car

I take offence to that comment because I think a lot of Aurion and Corolla owners do have braging rights. They have nice cars and tasteful mods. It is funny you say that then brag about your own nans car.

I know the Aurion is a rebranded Camry, but the truth of the matter is that I would never have purchased my Aurion if it had Camry badges on it.

Do you realise you put **** on the two cars that make up over 80% of this sites activity?

but i dont think any aurion or corolla owners on here have bragging rights, a lot of them look like nans car

I take offence to that comment because I think a lot of Aurion and Corolla owners do have braging rights. They have nice cars and tasteful mods. It is funny you say that then brag about your own nans car.

I know the Aurion is a rebranded Camry, but the truth of the matter is that I would never have purchased my Aurion if it had Camry badges on it.

Do you realise you put **** on the two cars that make up over 80% of this sites activity?

harden up, mate. i drive a camry (obviously), and ive copped a bit of **** for it but dont take offence. i didnt say your car, or anyone elses for that matter, was boring or distasteful, nor did i say my car was fabulous. im sure if there was a thread discussing the aurions reputation, which lets admit in the greater scheme of things isnt much better than the camry in the greater eye of the public, you would probably try to differentiate yours from "whitegoods on wheels" too

i just find it funny that people say camrys are boring, but aurions and corollas sometimes arent much better

but this thread isnt about **** flinging at one another, so dont turn it into exactly that and keep in minds its simply a discussion, where believe it or not, opinions do differ! :ph34r:

Edited by lateralus

harden up, mate. i drive a camry (obviously), and ive copped a bit of **** for it but dont take offence. i didnt say your car, or anyone elses for that matter, was boring or distasteful, nor did i say my car was fabulous. im sure if there was a thread discussing the aurions reputation, which lets admit in the greater scheme of things isnt much better than the camry in the greater eye of the public, you would probably try to differentiate yours from "whitegoods on wheels" too

i just find it funny that people say camrys are boring, but aurions and corollas sometimes arent much better

but this thread isnt about **** flinging at one another, so dont turn it into exactly that and keep in minds its simply a discussion, where believe it or not, opinions do differ! :ph34r:

I agree that you wernt specific, you said that all Corolla and Aurion owners on this site dont have braging rights. I obviously hit a sore spot, I'm sorry if I offended your nans car.

Taco - Lateralus is like that. He might sound like he's taking a dump on ya, but he's not, lol. He's right in a way... An Aurion ATX is pretty boring looking... I'm a SX6/ZR6 fan, but yeah... they look mean as... especially my dad's black ZR6 with 19 inch Advanti Viennas :)

I reckon the reason why most people bag out the Camry is purely because of the fact that heaps of older people drive it. Commodores and Falcons are the EXACT same market, but are RWD, which makes the younger generation like them better over the Camry. What would people think of the Commos and Falcons if they were FWD? They'd probably be in the same boat, because the younger people wouldn't be buying them and no doubt, only older people would be driving them and also fall into the same category as the Camry.

I totally agree with Whip Cracker....front wheel drive factor. Especially for males. I have plenty of male friends that love my car, the way it looks and the way it handles...BUT...wouldnt have it because its front wheel drive.

Funnily enough though, in my area its a definate toss up to whether more oldies drive Camry's or Corolla's.

I love my Camry and wouldnt give it up for any Falcon or Commodore. :D

OH and to mick.wheelz....i think a lot of cars can be boring or uninspiring. Your car can be what you want it to be with some upgrades and personal touches :D

Edited by Sweety

Funnily enough though, in my area its a definate toss up to whether more oldies drive Camry's or Corolla's.

Hehehe to be cheeky as well I would have to agree with that - particularly when it comes to the Corolla Ascent! But as with the base model Camry's the base model Corolla's can become very nice with modification.

I don't really have much to add beyond what has been said; I adore my Camry and I get a lot of positive feedback about it which is always nice :) Particularly as so far I've done very little with it, the slack thing that I am. In terms of build quality and reliability I cannot fault Toyota's, and I have always liked the look of the Camry, there is just *something* about them (fellow Camry owners will understand :)).

As for the Aurion AT-X, personally I think it looked a lot better before the facelift (like the facelift Camry I think its the gaping hole where foglights should be thats the most offputting), but I love the new facelift Sportivos, go figure heheh Taste is definitely very much individual!

Edited by Tash

As for the Aurion AT-X, personally I think it looked a lot better before the facelift (like the facelift Camry I think its the gaping hole where foglights should be thats the most offputting), but I love the new facelift Sportivos, go figure heheh Taste is definitely very much individual!

I completely agree with that! I dont like the sharpness the new ATX and both the sportivos have in the front.

I totally agree with Whip Cracker....front wheel drive factor. Especially for males. I have plenty of male friends that love my car, the way it looks and the way it handles...BUT...wouldnt have it because its front wheel drive.

I love my Camry and wouldnt give it up for any Falcon or Commodore. :D

OH and to mick.wheelz....i think a lot of cars can be boring or uninspiring. Your car can be what you want it to be with some upgrades and personal touches :D

x2 You are pretty much spot on there too.

For me Camrys never ever got my vote until I spotted a particular Camry (94Camry) done up real nice with a camry club sticker. I visited the site and then became friends with the owner and went on their cruises. Seeing more Camrys and what CAN be done opened my eyes.

So Sweety's last statement in bold stands. A lot of people do not like my Corolla until I show them this... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2554569... it changes there perception.

It's like 313GNT with his then Aurion... he did it right and to many an eye it was favoured.

Still Toyota's target audience will never be for the younger or car enthusiast types. They have found their medium and their reputation, which in essence has taken them to a leader of the industry.

In all honesty camry's are econoboxes and the only way i would modify the newish camry/aurion/corollas would be to make it a good cruiser, ie wheels, lowered a little and good car audio goodies.

Cmon, FWD, economical engine, pretty heavy and the sheer number of them on the road do make them 'boring'. I cant wait to get my hands on an aristo and drive a fun car that looks boring :P

note: this doesn't make me regret owning one, i'd love to keep my camry as a daily forever.

Edited by RoM2nV

I think the older generations now, from what i have seen are buying Corollas, i dont know if anyone has noticed but the Corollas are the size of the older Camrys like mine, and the Aurions are a much larger car. Older people dont require larger cars so they will be more likely to buy the newer Corolla. The Aurion and the newer Camry is more of a "family car" rather than a midsized car nowadays.

Regardless why all the in fighting, whether or not the car is boring or un-inspiring from the start, doesn't mean you can't make it inspiring, at the end of the day isnt that why most of us are here? ;)

Regardless why all the in fighting, whether or not the car is boring or un-inspiring from the start, doesn't mean you can't make it inspiring, at the end of the day isnt that why most of us are here? ;)

exactly... there are some very nice camry's and aurions out there... which (unless they were an sx6, sportivo, etc) started off as a boring car.

i was referring to stock, straight out of the dealership camrys in my earlier post.

Yes, exactly Trentmeyer23. :D Besides....can any of us really say that they havent seen a Camry somewhere on this forum and said "Now that does look good" just as much as we've looked at the Corolla's or Aurions (or any other car for that matter) and said the same thing.

My dislike for people having to put down other vehicles came from a commercial that used to be on TV once. It was between a Falcon and a Commodore....they demonstrated how each car went over a speed bump with eggs sitting on the parcel shelf....it was a Holden commercial, so of course the Falcons eggs smashed all over the place yet the Commodores eggs didnt move. Lol..how pathetic!!

I love cars...and if they look damn good...........all the better, who cares what brand or model it is :D

Yes Camry is a boring car and was probably designed to be a boring car. Firstly, it was meant to be a mid sized family car to be sold in large numbers. Doesn't that alone make it white goods? To sell in large numbers, the design must be conservative so that it doesn't offend the masses plus it must be easy to manufacture and highly reliable-simplify the design inside out!! Hey, this is like the McDonald's hamburger in the food world - cheap, easy to get and most importantly it fills the stomach. Does anyone complain that McDonald's hamburger is not as exciting as some exotic fine dining?

If excitement is what you want, go get a BMW M3, Meserati, Ferrari, Porsche. Even Mercedes Benz, Audi, Volvo, VW are white goods in the motoring world as well but in a different space.

I own a Camry Altise and have no complains whatsoever. Yes, it's boring so what the heck-I bought it purely for reliable family transportation and I can live with the looks. I don't care what the guys on the roads think about me.

Its each to their own. Any car is good in someone or another's eyes. Except the smart car. If anyone actually agrees that the smart car (except for the one with the turbo hayabusa engine which is STILL an ugly piece of crap) is actually attractive then GTFO. But seriously. Commodores and Falcons appeal to kids for the one big reason that they are big, beefy cars and the big V8 supercar men drive them around tracks really really fast and they can do the same thing around the streets. Camry's may not have the same power (hence being a FWD) but they're still neat, reliable cars to drive, and my honest opinion, I think my Camry looks good. New shoes and a polish and it'll look better of course but like I said, each to their own.

• 1 month later...
I love cars...and if they look damn good...........all the better, who cares what brand or model it is :D

I'm a car enthusiast as well and I've only driven 2 Camry's and a Aurion Touring model one I recently purchased for my youngest for a 1st car and I reckon they are a great daily car more reliable than many other makes and coming from a person that has had some collectable performance cars in the past including my current BA turbo daily and a Buick I have as a hobby car after I sold my 1982 Collector Edition Corvette

post-16803-1262089768_thumb.jpgpost-16803-1262089169_thumb.jpg[at

tachment=11804:078.jpg]

post-16803-1262090055_thumb.jpg