Aurion vs XR6

Hey guys,

I know I might get flamed for this but bear in mind we intend to do this legally at the Townsville Drag Strip so don't bother doing it here. A guy at work has just bought an 09 XR6. I drive a Sportivo. We have been arguing for a few weeks whose car is faster up a quarter and have made a bet about it. Who ever loses up the quarter wears a dress to work for a day. Both cars are stock and auto. Based on experience should I be okay or start shopping for a dress? Also I should point out he weighs about 50 kilos more than I do. Most of the office is on his side as the XR6 seems to have a better reputation. Opinions would be great.

Thanks.

Adam.

Put Premium fuel in, and use the manual shift and I rekon you'll have him. He will lose some traction at the start also.

At the end of the day, even if your a fraction behind, you have proven the point that the Faclon's and commondores are a complete waste of money sacrificing quality for a couple of tenths of a second.

Good luck, Great if you can get some video footage, if you do win, we can rub it into some other mates that have XR6's

Good question. I'll have to dig back though my old copies of Wheels to get the numbers before you head off to the Salvos shop

(Note - don't spend car mod money on dresses. And if you have to buy a dress don't spend much money on it. Unless of course you wish to wear it regualrly, in which case I have no advice for you!).

But give yourself evey possible advantage too.

Ditch the spare tyre, jack and anything stored in the boot or glovebox before you hit the track.

Remove all possible excess weight that can be done without being noticeable.

Do not tell your hefty Ford friend this. (He's probably on the fordforums getting similar advice.)

There will be Aurion owners out there that will be able to give you more advice re staging/launching/tyre pressures & etc that they will have track-tested.

Good luck.

He has the advantage that he can launch harder thanks to being a RWD. I would say it would be a close call that will be determined by how good each of you are as a driver. I reckon you would be wearing the dress though... unless you mate is a bad driver.

Either way, I'm not concerned about who will beat who.... I'm more concerned about what time you can get. 14.131s @99.29mph is the time you have to beat.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still trying to get it organized so I'm not too sure of a time yet. With regards to weight and power maybe I'll remove my head unit too just for that little extra bit. I hope I have some time. I may be able to get my car a little faster between now and then. I hate losing so I'd risk putting a small dry shot of nitrous just for the race and get rid of it. I have a friend who can set me up. I know that's really ricer, but I can't lose to a him especially since 90% of the office are on his side. Has anyone ever done anything as drastic as nitrous in a 2GR-FE or similar engine? Do you think one small use of it could do any harm? Again I know that's really stupid, but I have to win.

Slightly off topic, I'm taking mine down to Willowbank this Saturday for the Test 'n' Tune. Mainly just because I want to make sure my intake hasn't adversely affected my performance.

For yourself, you should probably consider heading down to your local 1/4 mile and doing some practice runs so you know what you are dealing with. Also, have a look through here to see the discussions that have been had about stalling it up etc:

Took my Aurion to The drags

Don't do nitrous... that's just stupid... plus it's cheating. Also, taking you spare wheel and jack out is all you really need to do. To really make a difference, you will have to then strip out all of your interior etc... then it is cheating once again.

... and use the manual shift

To expand on this statement, use 'S' mode and leave the gear selector on '6'. Do not perform the shifts yourself because you will lose time. Leaving it on '6' will mean the transmission will shift at the optimum point.

stats from motor mag

xr6 1728kg, 195kw, 0-400 = 14.9

Aurion 1630kg, 200kw, 0-400 = 14.8

very close it wil come done to experience and launching

best to get down there and to some times few weeks before

dont go down with a full tank

have the absolute minimum amount of petrol you can.

Reset your ECU and run 98 octane (BP Ultimate FTW!) at least a week before (and make sure you flog it, get the ecu to advance timing as much as it can)

Remove the spare tyre, wheel brace, jack, etc.

lower your front tyre pressures a little bit

try and practice launching (at the track of course)

Main thing you need to remember here is that the XR6, despite putting out 195kW, puts down 391Nm of torque (compared to 336Nm for the Aurion) and it does so much sooner than the Aurion. Add this to the fact that they can launch harder because of the weight transfer to the rear wheels, this is where a well performed launch can mean that you will be wearing the dress.

Good luck mate.

Howdy

Well just just from looking at other websites and other magazines (like Wheels etc). You should be able to pull it off but just barley. Alot of them state that the Aurion actually beats the XR6. These differences are only about .1 or .2 of a second, but the Aurion comes out on top.

Although he has more torque and at lower revs, the Aurion seems to really push its way through.

Anyways if you both do it I would love to see how you did. Also make sure you get a video to post up ok.

Good Luck

KoolMoeDee (KMD)

I think it'll be a very close race which is nothing to be ashamed of considering your in a "family" car and they are in a "sports" car.

Practice launching and the ideal revs when stalling.

If you lose just wear the dress over the top of your normal clothes.

I think it'll be a very close race which is nothing to be ashamed of considering your in a "family" car and they are in a "sports" car.

I wouldn't really call an XR6 a sports car... it is just the sportier version of the XT falcon... same as the aurion SX6/ZR6 is the sportier version of the ATX

I wouldn't really call an XR6 a sports car... it is just the sportier version of the XT falcon... same as the aurion SX6/ZR6 is the sportier version of the ATX

Thats right !! If the owner of the XR6 was fair dinkum he would have bought the XR6 Turbo ! .... or a V8

I thought the first line of this article comparing the XR6 Turbo to the Falcon XR8 and Commodore SS was pretty funny...

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...mparisonID=1482

I believe the Aurion may just come out on top on this.

Mate of mine owns a BA MkII XR8 6spd Manual and I know for a fact he's not a crap driver at all.

On a private stretch of road (its awesome coz my uncle owns about a 600m or so stretch of road that spans over his land, wide enough for two a side) (ps, i still dont advocate hoon driving etc, this was done on private property) my mates XR8 and my ZR6 did two tests, rolling start from 60 (therefor no blasts back to 1st gear) and the XR8 didnt make too much of a move, probably pulling forward by about...half a metre? By the end of about 400m he was maybe 5 car lengths. :P Although he did expect the XR8 to completely smash the ZR6, but the fact of the matter it just didnt.....as much. :P

Standing start was another thing, prolly till i reached 60 or so he started to pull forward and got me by a good 1 second plus.

Anywho, ZR6 and XR6, despite the extra hundered kilos weight on the XR6, i reckon that might be enough to sway it or at least keep it even.

GOOD LUCK! ;)

Leaving it on '6' will mean the transmission will shift at the optimum point.

I don't get this, so does this mean it'll change gears close to the redline? Why wouldn't it be the same as flooring it on 'D'? :S

And yeah, good luck! Please post a video too :D

Edited by TheMirror

I guess you are right Mick. But the reputation of the XR6 as a sporty fast car gives it a much higher expectation than the ZR6. losing by less than a second should not be a disappointement.

BTW. Good luck with the race.

You will need to get to redline(all the way to ~6200 rpm) on first gear without a wheel spin, if you make that perfect start, you will be in front, ford will be pulling closer afterwards. Try on S and D also. I prefer D, than S.

Edited by avstral

Dont forgot.... You might have to wear the dress for a day but he has to drive a Ford everyday. :lol:

Beautiful!!

My suggestion: Borrow some1's TRD..

Anw, People have been nicely supporting through some nice suggestions. How about we shift to the other side... Suggest wat dress to wear.. :lol:

Leaving it on '6' will mean the transmission will shift at the optimum point.

I don't get this, so does this mean it'll change gears close to the redline? Why wouldn't it be the same as flooring it on 'D'? :S

We have talked about this in other threads. When in 'S' mode, the transmission overrides all the adaptive AI crap and uses a set shifting basemap... or that's what it feels like it does. Anyways, the changes are minor, but they do make a difference on the finer side of things.

We here in QLD have taken Aurions to the drag strip a fair few times and have realised a few things about them.

Anw, People have been nicely supporting through some nice suggestions. How about we shift to the other side... Suggest wat dress to wear.. :lol:

Pick a black dress. They do good to help your figure :P

Seriously though, if you want to really make sure you will get a good chance at beating him, you need to practise your launching. The Aurion is pretty touchy with the way you launch it. Stall too low and you won't get a great time, stall too high and it will spin the wheels, axle tramp, or both. Unlike the XR6 which takes a little less skill to launch, which would also give him the upper hand if you don't come prepared.

if i remember, the stock wheels leave the factory at 40PSI~, if you deflat it to 30-35PSI~ and warm the front tyres up maybe it'll give you more of a better grip for a better launch.