Interior trim paint

Steven

If I were to do such a thing this would be my aim, less is more

2006volkswagenr32dashbo.jpg

To turn your car into a LHD Volkswagen? :huh: :P

Thats a nice finish. Never seen it before. Kinda looks like CF, but in negative.

As a side note, whats up with that speedo?!

300kph...i like B) but it is on the wrong side of the cluster for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give me your opinions people's - yay or nay?

I'm really divided. It's impossible to get it perfect due to the shape of the mirror (which results in stretch marks no matter what you do), however these aren't overly obvious. They do look very different in person, my camera doesn't do them justice.

post-13080-127097808078_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it would look better in person since the flash on your camera is ruining the effect.... but still,

It's a nay from me. It doesn't quite blend in completely with the entirety of the car.

Edit: And straighten your e-Toll. It's bugging me :lol:

I'm pretty sure it would look better in person since the flash on your camera is ruining the effect.... but still,

It's a nay from me. It doesn't quite blend in completely with the entirety of the car.

Edit: And straighten your e-Toll. It's bugging me :lol:

1 Against, noted.

I really want to attend this thursday's meet and see some people's rides in person, particularly yours DJKOR. I know the information is in another thread but I'm bad with maps, if my GPS could sound fustrated I'm sure it would scream at me half the time.

Oh and I'll be sure to straighten my transponder.. maybe... actually I'll probably forget :P

Well yeah not real sure, the colour of carbon fibre is just too different to the colour of your car, it might work on say Silver Ash Tungston or even Ink?

sorry mate, based on the photo, its a nay from me..

well done for trying something different thou! :) seeing as you have a sportivo, why not try that black park of the front bumper in the carbon wrap? even the rear diffuser?? just a suggestion :P

I think the tribe has spoken :P

Front bumper can't really be done due to the extremely complex shape of the foglight surrounds. The mirrors were hard enough and they're simple by comparison.

I still think I'll leave the mirrors as is for a few days, at least for the meet, just to see how the carbon-fibre copes being exposed to the elements.

Yes I reckon they'd look awesome on a black car too

It look much better in person, i was at Steven's house today when he did the mirror. Thanks to him, i managed to do the two pieces of my steering wheel.. YEAH!!!

Edited by Ingres

Not bad, Steven, but based purely on the fact that CF mirrors don't do much for me means its a nay here.

The black section of the front bumper isn't doable. Believe me, I've tried!

I've start a thread for my ride here: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27173

Shows a better exterior shot with the CF mirrors.

It looks like it's not colour-coded now.. LoL. Can't see the stripes of the carbon layer. Well, each to their own. Doesn't really matter what the others think.

You'll have to do more exterior mods to even that up I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ZR6 with the silver interior highlights and center console etc, however the previous owner wasn't quite so careful with things and as a result several of the silver trim panels are pretty scratched up. I've considered replacing them with new parts, but at around $200 for one of the pieces of plastic (and $1400 for another piece of plastic :o ) I'm looking into just repainting them instead.

Does anybody know of a place to source the right color trim paint?I found something fairly close at supercheap (with the semi-metallic look) but it's just a TINY bit off - enough that the perfectionist in me won't settle especially since only some surfaces are in need of touchup and others aren't.

I know I could probably take to a proper paint shop, get it matched and mixed up then apply it with a spray gun (probably best option, I have the equipment afterall) but I'd like to consider all my options first.

cheers

Ok the dull silver finish is called 647-21GY47 silver it is a arcylic 1K ( meaning no hardener) it is made in sydney riverstone Dupont plant and the parts are painted by Cubic pacific (sydney) or Venture DMG melbourne both of these companies are of course under contract to Toyota.

The finish is hard to apply due to the very low gloss spec of 4GU @ 65 Degree.

So heres my recommendation DO NOT USE ANY THING FROM SUPERCHEAP THAT COMES IN A SPRAYCAN it is not good enough.

But go see a Smash repairs supplier like Preston Motors and Ask for the colour to be made in PPG Arcylic paint(AAA) this will be the closest aftermarket tech that will match the orginal 647 finish.

If you got the time and are willing to learn how to swing a spraygun you can do this but seek a little help from real paint guys (prestons)

I used to paint these.

Rod

(if i can help advise PM me)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, bit of a thread revival here. I decided to jump in and get some 3M vinyl and work on the trim in the car to cover the scratches. The photos really don't do it justice and I recommend this to anyone. Everyone who's been in my car over the last few days says it looks a lot better. The entire project has taken around 8 hours including pulling everything apart, covering it and putting it all back together. Please excuse the dirty car, I took these before cleaning it.

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00760.jpg

My car feels less unique with every passing day... :P

No really it has come out tops mate! Can be a bit tricky to get right but it looks like you've taken the time to do it right the first time. excellent!

My car feels less unique with every passing day...

No really it has come out tops mate! Can be a bit tricky to get right but it looks like you've taken the time to do it right the first time. excellent!

Thanks, I'm really happy with it overall.

Sigh. I wish I could get off my lazy ***** and do this

Just do it. You won't regret it. I had a guy less than an hour ago saying that he is now going to buy an Aurion after seeing what they can look like and how they feel to drive in.

Just do it. You won't regret it. I had a guy less than an hour ago saying that he is now going to buy an Aurion after seeing what they can look like and how they feel to drive in.

It's like a fit guy telling me to go to the gym. Easier said than done. One day maybe.

Hey guys, bit of a thread revival here. I decided to jump in and get some 3M vinyl and work on the trim in the car to cover the scratches. The photos really don't do it justice and I recommend this to anyone. Everyone who's been in my car over the last few days says it looks a lot better. The entire project has taken around 8 hours including pulling everything apart, covering it and putting it all back together. Please excuse the dirty car, I took these before cleaning it.

Good stuff man... I guess I'll have to try somethin different ... But again, cbf somehow..

It's like a fit guy telling me to go to the gym. Easier said than done. One day maybe.

Perfect example. You'll have to see the real thing & get intimidated b4 you can start...

• 2 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here. Ripped all the interior apart again and threw out all the carbon fibre look vinyl I'd covered it with.

Now it looks like this.....

18092010026.jpg

That is seriously some class... Been thinking of doing that but had no idea it'll turn out that good.

The more reason to clean ur car DJ..

Is it a pain in the as* to do the around the GPS area?

Cheers gents.

DJ, I couldn't apply it that smoothly either. Trust me, there was plenty of wetsanding of clearcoat involved to get that smooth glassy finish. Its not too bad for fingerprints, but its definately attracts dust quick. I'm so anal about it at the moment that I've actually started keeping a microfibre buffing cloth in the glove box and clean it regularly.

VFX, haven't done around the head unit area yet. Waiting until I get my touchscreen and modify my DIN facia, otherwise I'll have to sand back the paint and redo it. When I do the facia I'm gonna try taking apart the aircon unit and doing that too.

And heres the dash and door strips and handles. (Excuse the sun flare)

Not sure whether to do that section around door lever/window switch, of whether that would be overkill.

20092010035.jpg