Transmission Flare

Freddo

Anyone in doubt, get it done now!! It's bloody awesome to finally have smooth gear changes.

or you just had a dodgy setup to begin with and now you are feeling what a normal Aurion feels like :lol:

This

edit: does anyone know where the comp is located?

small black box under battery base, the replacement unit has "V2" on the top.

Awesome thanks for clarifying this for me. Yep mine is V2 so its definitely been changed. Seriously, gear changing is perfect now. No more flaring and lagging gear changes when accelerating slow off the mark.

What is transmission flare? Google didn't give me a proper answer.

Go look at your TCU and see if it has V2 at the end. If it doesn't you should go to Toyota to get it replaced. Just say I experience flaring, gear changes lag and sometimes jump when changing gears.

Go look at your TCU and see if it has V2 at the end. If it doesn't you should go to Toyota to get it replaced. Just say I experience flaring, gear changes lag and sometimes jump when changing gears.

... then the dealer will get you to reproduce it.

If you get it done for the heck of it (ie cheating the system), when you have no problem, Toyota will know when production changes (you don't know if its more than the V2 ECU) were made and if your vehicle could have this issue. If it's not possible, then it will be you or the dealer paying.

... then the dealer will get you to reproduce it.

If you get it done for the heck of it (ie cheating the system), when you have no problem, Toyota will know when production changes (you don't know if its more than the V2 ECU) were made and if your vehicle could have this issue. If it's not possible, then it will be you or the dealer paying.

I have never had to reproduce a fault in my car to the dealer. It's always been "We'll look at it" and I come back after they call me and they say such and such is wrong OR I tell them if warranty will not cover and there IS a fault give me a ring to talk to me about the job at hand and how much $$ and if I would like to go through with the work(This has never happened though, warranty has always covered everything)

It you have warranty if won't kill to get Toyota to test it out for you if you don't know what flaring is. It isn't going to cost you anything.

Edited by unique

How do you find out if you have V2? Do you look under or above the engine bay?

EDIT: I found it. just looked to the side of the side under the battery and mine says V28 on it.

Edited by Hamster

How do you find out if you have V2? Do you look under or above the engine bay?

EDIT: I found it. just looked to the side of the side under the battery and mine says V28 on it.

My new one says V2 9 whilst yours is 8. Hmm. I guess I have the newer one :P

:P to you cause I had the older on on my Sportivo (can't confirm the TRD but it probably has the older one as well) and had/have no problems.

:P to you cause I had the older on on my Sportivo (can't confirm the TRD but it probably has the older one as well) and had/have no problems.

Hahaha :).

Why can't you confirm on your TRD? Why don't you get it changed anyway? It won't hurt, if anything it will be an improvement even if you can't feel anything... yet.

I know I'm saying this heaps now but ever since changing the TCU my love for the Aurion has been rekindled. Those threads about me selling it were because of the gear changes because driving the car felt like such a burden. When it would lag to change gears it would make driving feel like a chore because everything felt rough and out of synch. Now with the quick swift changes, and from gear two to three its like a transmission does not even exist. It just changes like butter, bloody amazing.

Why can't you confirm on your TRD?

Don't bother reading my ride thread then.

Why don't you get it changed anyway? It won't hurt, if anything it will be an improvement even if you can't feel anything... yet.

Ever heard of the saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'? Well, I'd rather not change something that is already working fine. It's good that yours is all running like normal now, but it doesn't exactly mean your ECU is better than the first revision.

Ever heard of the saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'? Well, I'd rather not change something that is already working fine. It's good that yours is all running like normal now, but it doesn't exactly mean your ECU is better than the first revision.

I tend to agree. Depending on what you want out of your car you might not want the Trans. ECU update.

One could argue that they had to "nerf" some performance to remove gear change flare. If that is the case, then it might be undesirable for some to change update the ECU.

Why can't you confirm on your TRD?

Don't bother reading my ride thread then.

Why don't you get it changed anyway? It won't hurt, if anything it will be an improvement even if you can't feel anything... yet.

Umm relax relax i was only making a suggestion.

If i knew why you couldnt look i wouldnt ask. Its not like i keep full tabs on your car thread.

• 1 year later...

Hey all sorry to revive this oldie but Silver how is everything going for you after all this time?

Still awsome after the new TCU? Thinking of getting this done myself the shift changes are really startin to #$@$ me right off!

Well I have done nearly 30k on the NEW trans, and im not overly impressed with it. Its not smooth at all indecisive in changing and flareing a bit too. will be getting it checked when i go on holiday.

Well I have done nearly 30k on the NEW trans, and im not overly impressed with it. Its not smooth at all indecisive in changing and flareing a bit too. will be getting it checked when i go on holiday.

Before you got the new trans were you experiencing the problems mentioned by Silver?

I guess my main concern is that these a warning signs before the transmission craps out and needs to be replaced conveniently outside my 3 month dealer warranty. Otherwise if it does no damage and just stays as is I can live with that....it just aint that much of a joy to drive, feels more like a chore atm.

Hey all sorry to revive this oldie but Silver how is everything going for you after all this time?

Still awsome after the new TCU? Thinking of getting this done myself the shift changes are really startin to #$@$ me right off!

Can't complain mate. It's hard to tell though since I'm used to it and can't even remember how it was before. One thing though that it still does is hold gears when the engine is cold and it will lag to change from R to D on cold days. I'll be taking it back to get this looked at after 5000 or 3 months.

Before you got the new trans were you experiencing the problems mentioned by Silver?

I guess my main concern is that these a warning signs before the transmission craps out and needs to be replaced conveniently outside my 3 month dealer warranty. Otherwise if it does no damage and just stays as is I can live with that....it just aint that much of a joy to drive, feels more like a chore atm.

mine died all together, check posting " transmission gone ?"

• 11 months later...

Just had mine replaced (2007 Touring) and looks like it says "V2 A" which you have mentioned an 8 or a 9. Most flaring has stopped (cold 99% would flare 3-4 upto 2 seconds), but still holds 2000rpm at 60klm no load flat road. Seems to hold or become stuck before selecting a higher gear sometimes. Changes are not as smooth as my friends 2009 ATX which is hard to detect a gear change without looking at the taco. Friends also keeps RPM's lower all the time, particularly at light throttle take off.

Edited by Sandmgray

^ I had mine replaced (20000 klm's ago) and it still occasionally holds 2nd in the same way as yours Sandmgray's , I find if i accelerate a bit harder it will change gears. Haven't yet had to explain to the cops that I'm speeding through the suburbs cause i want the transmission to select 3rd lol. And yeah it has never been as smooth as other Aurions i have been in. At least the flaring stopped though.