NSW- Mobile Speed Cameras

If you get pulled over and you KNOW you've done something wrong, then just man up and accept it. However I don't recommend telling a copper when he's in the wrong - heaps are on ego trips and don't take criticism too lightly.

Here in QLD, they are not bound by the road rules as long as they are performing a function incidental to their current duties. There's a lot that can be argued about whether they're currently performing an active duty that required whatever road rule they breached. As for P plates? I heard of an operation over the school holidays awhile back where they'd be driving around in stock new model cars (of various makes and models), with flip/down lights on the sunvisors and the cops were allowed to wear regular shirts over their uniforms. That was tricky (and I hear was fairly successful, so expect to see it happen again).

As for entrapment, I hear this word pop up all the time. In QLD, there are no entrapment laws. Furthermore, law entrapment would mean to somehow force or strongly coerce you into doing something illegal, and then charging you for it. By simply being covert in their operations, they haven't done anything as such. The closest 'entrapment' I have heard about, was traffic cops in modded cars pulling up to people next to the lights and revving the engines.

food for thought.

Just adding a second to the last post. He's very right, no entrapment laws in Queensland. They can pull up next to you, "entice" all they like, then flip the lights. I've watched more falcodores fall for it than I thought possible.

I have no issue with cameras, mobile or fixed, as I mentioned before. The only gripe I would say I have is when they see me and follow me for 30 min from one side of the city to the other. "It's a 20 something guy in a fast looking car, we'll tag along until he does mess up somehow!!"

The only gripe I would say I have is when they see me and follow me for 30 min from one side of the city to the other. "It's a 20 something guy in a fast looking car, we'll tag along until he does mess up somehow!!"

That one really p***es me off as well. Even if I drive carefully for the entire time they are following me, it nearly always ends up in them pulling me over and just doing a license check etc. So it's basically just driving carefully waiting for the moment that they pull you over.

The only gripe I would say I have is when they see me and follow me for 30 min from one side of the city to the other. "It's a 20 something guy in a fast looking car, we'll tag along until he does mess up somehow!!"

That one really p***es me off as well. Even if I drive carefully for the entire time they are following me, it nearly always ends up in them pulling me over and just doing a license check etc. So it's basically just driving carefully waiting for the moment that they pull you over.

There is actually a legitimate reason for this, and that's doing a license/rego check over the radio - very few police vehicles actually have the in car computers. For most "metro" areas, these checks go over a dedicated inquiry channel; problem being is that there is usually a wait whilst you work you way through the que.

They could pull you over immediately of course, but some people have complained that they were getting pulled over and then told to wait for up to 10 minutes for a check to come through. Complaints cause issues with the bosses, so hence the best compromise is as above. Trust me, unless there is a complete newbie copper driving, they really don't care to follow you around all day when they could be kicking it back drinking coffee somewhere.

wow **** loads on parramatta rd

As if you can go faster than 30km/h along there with all the traffic and pot-holes anyway.....

wow **** loads on parramatta rd

As if you can go faster than 30km/h along there with all the traffic and pot-holes anyway.....

it takes 10 mins from burwood to city on para road at 11pm:( now it will take 20

if your not doing anything wrong, dont worry. cant be that hard

i too hate when the cops are on my tail, just do the limit, stay off the drugs and booze and then there is no probs :)

This was a job i didn't really want to do ;) ...but today we got a call from the peeps that take care of the red light & speed cameras in Victoria they had a camera thats view was being obstructed by a tree branch and they wanted it removed,one thing i found out about red light cameras in Victoria is they can watch live through the camera at any time,when we finished removing the branch i gave em a call to let them know we were done and he said yep great job looks all clear then he said i can see you i front of the camera,i was a little surprised and waved and he said over the phone he was waving back....food for thought.

Interesting.

I know for a fact that the cameras in NSW which do not require flash take a picture of every car regardless. Big Brother is watching :P

If you are cruising in the Illawarra area, the local one here is a

Ford territory, Ego grey (dark grey) in colour,

Rego BM* ***

No signage on the front or rear - but a sh*tload of cameras in the parcel area!

• 4 weeks later...

This rant stems from trying to drive in Sydney. Despite all the fixed speed cameras, nearly every bloody motorist over there is in some kind of a rush.

Really? I found they were busy driving around 20 below in the right hand lanes :angry:

That i can agree with....some people dont get the idea that the right lane is for over taking & people who wanna speed

it 5hitz me of a morning because i can be in the left lane and pass everyone without speeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw my first one today @ Kingswood, near Penrith.

White Ford Territory with sides marked, had a whole load of black cameras on top of vehicle (vehicle was stationary @ the side of the road) and had police like lights at the back, except they weren't red/blue.

Luckily it was uphill, so I was @ the 80km/hr limit.

Pretty much everyone are against these Mobile Revenue Machines, all the cars in both direction were flashing their high-beams to give a heads up to oncoming cars :clap:

If you see a whole row of cars flashing high-beams, you know whats up ahead!

• 4 months later...

The new mobile speed camera units in the Ford Territorys are not as accurate as other models are. Apparently, they don't meet the federal Measurement Act 1960 standards, which could come in handy. They also don't grant as much leeway on them, which with the inaccuracy really means you could be fined for not exceeding the limit at all.

But gangster governments don't care - they just want your money. So do senior figures in the police and government, who - it is rumoured - own shares in the camera manufacturer/marketer.

Apparently, the NSW govt (which has run away from scrutiny of its policies before the elections next March in the most cowardly fashion) is aiming for a $500 million annual take from traffic fines.

That would be a good story for a non-junk-journalism TV program or newspaper to follow up.