NSW- Mobile Speed Cameras

To be completely honest, revenue raising or not, I say if you get caught speeding by a mobile speed camera as detailed on that article, you get what you deserve.

This rant stems from trying to drive in Sydney. Despite all the fixed speed cameras, nearly every bloody motorist over there is in some kind of a rush.

To be completely honest, revenue raising or not, I say if you get caught speeding by a mobile speed camera as detailed on that article, you get what you deserve.

This rant stems from trying to drive in Sydney. Despite all the fixed speed cameras, nearly every bloody motorist over there is in some kind of a rush.

\You would be in a rush too if it took 30 minutes to go 12Ks. Sydney sucks balls.

Really? I found they were busy driving around 20 below in the right hand lanes :angry:

Really? I found they were busy driving around 20 below in the right hand lanes :angry:

That's Sydney for you <_<

Mobile speed cameras will catch alot of drivers.

They recently put a safety camera on the Great Western Highway and everytime I'm on the T-way bus, the camera is going off like crazy. Seizure all-round :idea:

Edited by KevO

im originally from perth. so im used to it. the thing is you normally know where they're going to be because they list the spots. the radio normally lists all the spots and tells people to call in with the locations + they usually target the same places and just cycle through. long weekends = every possible area they are aware of that there is people speeding.

they are a bit tricky in w.a in the sense that on ethe highways there are like 200m sections where it will drop from 100km/h to 80km/h and obviously they set it up in the 80km area because no one drops their speed ahahah.

im not really phased or concerned about this. im more frustrated by tolls. never had to worry about them before.

The thing is, driving in NSW has higher risk of getting caught compared to other states, not to mention the increase of 5% fine, let alone the high fines in NSW. Of all the states, NSW has the most rapid 'development' in street traffic rules. I think we should give some of the 'feel' to other states. :P . Not saying I'm a regular speeders, so far no fines on speeding. Hopefully never ever *fingers crossed*

\You would be in a rush too if it took 30 minutes to go 12Ks. Sydney sucks balls.

It took me around 30 mins to travel 7-8km... You should be thankful HT.. <_< <_< :whistling:

Edited by VF-X

All cars will be marked and the locations of the cameras will all be listed on the RTA website, got nothing to worry about...

Radar's are the ones to look out for...

laugh.gif love this **** , Ben you missed the point .. These are MOBILE units .. They aint staying in the 1 spot .. Danger all around ..

As is Sydney traffic sucks , cant imagine what will happen now with these bastards in use ..

My SAFE speeding days would be over sad.gif

http://www.dontgetcaught.com.au/

Now I dont endorse speeding nor do i think this should be used as a means to drive around speeding and not get caught .... however i have previously been fined for not paying attention to the speed limit of the road i was on so this is a means of alerting you to take caution and take notice of ur speed ..... might be worth in investing in these if ur license is that valuable.

the legalities of some of these products on the other hand is another question ..... lol

The following is my own opinion and just that.

In response to the above, I personally think things like LIDAR detectors are a waste of money. Some like the well reputed Valentine One say that they are good for detection against LIDAR due to their ability to detect the laser reflections off other cars etc.

Those things are highly focused and I reckon you would have to be lucky to detect a reflection before getting caught. I can say from experience that those LIDAR's are pretty damn fast at getting a speed reading now. I got booked once when going around a sweeping bend in the road and the cop put his lights on faster than I could drop 5km/h meaning he read my speed really quick.

That said, the above only really applies to handheld LIDAR etc. If there is a mobile speed camera on the road, you will probably see it before the detector does, and by the time it picks it up, you'd probably be done if you were over the limit.

At the end of the day, if you think it's a good investment, then by all means go for it. Just remember that there are usually fines involved if you are caught with one (outside of WA). For example, in Queensland, the fine is something like $3000. The cheapest option though would be to stick to the speed limit.

With all that said... the video's they have on their website are pretty convincing.

The linked SMH article is a little ambiguous.....

"The cameras can be covertly operated by civilian contractors working from unmarked cars parked by the side of the road."

Then further down...............

"The Herald says it also understands that cars operating the units will be marked."

Am now thinking i may not buy myself a new motorbike after all........... normally hit 100 by the time i realise what im doing...... then its all 'eeeek!

We have mobile speed cameras down here and had em for yonks,one thing i will say this will slow people down and thats a good thing....i suppose the thing with these is you don't know where they are until your on top of em,and trust me you will start to notice late model wagons & vans parked on nature strips more.

one thing i've noticed more in Vic these days is other drivers flashing their lights to warn of an upcoming camera and the radio will tell you where they are if they sit in the one position to long,so i pretty sure they move pozzies often.

bottom line is they are to slow us down and curb the road toll to a degree,so IMO it's not the end of the world just something we have to adapt to. :)

trust me you will start to notice late model wagons & vans parked on nature strips more.

they're way too obvious IMO. who would park an 09 model holden captiva in a fleet colour (ie. white) with ridiculously dark tint on the side of a highway.

and yeah i know its the point to make their presence known. but anonymity may work better. drivers see one of them in a 60km/h zone, and drive past it at 40km/h, and then fang it back up to 80km/h 100m up the road.

i'd be more cautious and drive properly if i knew any car could be a speed camera.

Edited by lateralus

The linked SMH article is a little ambiguous.....

"The cameras can be covertly operated by civilian contractors working from unmarked cars parked by the side of the road."

Then further down...............

"The Herald says it also understands that cars operating the units will be marked."

"marked" sounds alot like "targetted" to me :lol:

As long as they are marked I dont mind,Ive been trained to observe :ph34r:

All cars will be marked and the locations of the cameras will all be listed on the RTA website, got nothing to worry about...

Radar's are the ones to look out for...

laugh.gif love this **** , Ben you missed the point .. These are MOBILE units .. They aint staying in the 1 spot .. Danger all around ..

As is Sydney traffic sucks , cant imagine what will happen now with these bastards in use ..

My SAFE speeding days would be over sad.gif

So keep an eye on the website and you'll know where they are ;)

We've had mobile speed cameras longer than I can remember, but yeah, they USED to be so obvious it hurt. Current model vans and fourbies parked on the nature strip, just as mentioned previously.

They've taken it a bit further now.. "Marked" is black Landcruisers with a grey font along the side that's only readable standing perpendicular to the vehicle.

And for extra fun, with the Townsville 400 v8's about to start, we've got NSW Echos and Yaris' driving around with P plates.... and two uniformed cops inside each!!

As for my opinion, it's the smart one. If you don't speed, you don't get fined. Nothing to worry about if you're not causing worry!

We've had mobile speed cameras longer than I can remember, but yeah, they USED to be so obvious it hurt. Current model vans and fourbies parked on the nature strip, just as mentioned previously.

They've taken it a bit further now.. "Marked" is black Landcruisers with a grey font along the side that's only readable standing perpendicular to the vehicle.

And for extra fun, with the Townsville 400 v8's about to start, we've got NSW Echos and Yaris' driving around with P plates.... and two uniformed cops inside each!!

As for my opinion, it's the smart one. If you don't speed, you don't get fined. Nothing to worry about if you're not causing worry!

that cant be legal? dont you have to have your fulls to drive a cop car? isnt this entrapment?

that cant be legal? dont you have to have your fulls to drive a cop car? isnt this entrapment?

We have/had the occasional P-plater cop car here. It's illegal to drive with P-plates displayed when you are on your opens... but this is the police we're talking about. They have their own rules and regulations.

We have/had the occasional P-plater cop car here. It's illegal to drive with P-plates displayed when you are on your opens... but this is the police we're talking about. They have their own rules and regulations.

They like to think they can make up their own rules and regulations, however (atleast here in melbourne) they need to abide by the same laws we do. And if you notice that the cop is doing something wrong, and they pull you over. Let them know.

My mother dearest got pulled over once for driving with her foglights on. Mum looked in the rear view and noticed that the cops car lights weren't on. So she commented on them and said "Why are you not driving with your driving lights on, its dangerous and its getting very dark". Cop realised his mistake and let my mum off