Garage Door Opener

william777

Were you drunk when you wrote this? Why and where would you put a garage door opener in an aurion?

I was thinking the same thing. I have mine attached to my key ring on my car keys. Just leave the garage remote in the centre console if you must :blink:

I have a remote the size of an old Nokia. I leave it in the small pocket underneath the front speaker in the door. I find no need to integrate this remote into the car and have it accessible with a panel mounted button. Sometimes, too much integration can be over the top. At the end of the day, you could simply just integrate it for the cost of some wire and a switch, but really... what do you achieve from it?

Were you drunk when you wrote this? Why and where would you put a garage door opener in an aurion?

I was thinking the same thing. I have mine attached to my key ring on my car keys. Just leave the garage remote in the centre console if you must :blink:

That's exactly what I do. Have one at home and one with each driver, and mine stays in the car :)

The camry console mounted garage door opener retails for over $500, and being american there is a strong chance it wont accept your australian remotes frequency.

I dont like to tell people how not to spend their hard earned, but seriously this mod aint worth it

To all the nay-sayers. i have contemplated this mod for a about a year but just can't be bothered doing it. all you need is to take the insides of the remote and wire it up to a switch which can be easily mounted in one of the spare areas just to the bottom right of the steering wheel. it's quite simple. you could even wire it into the main power supply if you really wanted to.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/818/lkdnkfad.jpg

Had anyone installed a garage door opener switch in his/her Aurion? If so, please share with me how and where did you purchase the parts. Thanks.

Hi William.

I'll bet you saw the American Camry button fitted between the front personal lights in the roof. Not fitted Oz model. Like DJ my remote is huge, but fits nicely in the driver's side pocket in the console near your left leg. Put double sided tape on mine to stop it rattling. Works well, easy to get at, and almost free.

Cheers Tom

Hi William.

I'll bet you saw the American Camry button fitted between the front personal lights in the roof. Not fitted Oz model. Like DJ my remote is huge, but fits nicely in the driver's side pocket in the console near your left leg. Put double sided tape on mine to stop it rattling. Works well, easy to get at, and almost free.

Cheers Tom

Yes, Tom, I read this in one of the American service manuals and I thought it could be a good idea.

To all the nay-sayers. i have contemplated this mod for a about a year but just can't be bothered doing it. all you need is to take the insides of the remote and wire it up to a switch which can be easily mounted in one of the spare areas just to the bottom right of the steering wheel. it's quite simple. you could even wire it into the main power supply if you really wanted to.

http://img819.images...18/lkdnkfad.jpg

Thanks sx6er, that's a great and simple idea. Thumbs down to all the nay-sayers!!

Thumbs down to all the nay-sayers!!

Each to their own really..

Would you install a roof-rack or a towbar simply just bcoz people enforce the idea to you? No.. Majority of the people here don't see the point spending couple hundred bucks for this almost no gain mod.

I personally like this idea, want to have it, but cbf to spend and waste so much money and effort to get it done.

Again, some people don't justify spending thousands to get mag rims and stuff.. Still some of us do it. Personal ref really..

If this mod cost like $5 and easy DIY, some1 would've posted on how to do it..

So thumbs down to the thumbs down.. :P

If this mod cost like $5 and easy DIY, some1 would've posted on how to do it.

Well, the mod can cost $5. This was something I did in my old Camry, but I was young and had too much time on my hands. After doing it, I found myself thinking "whhy did I even bother to do that". Like mentioned above, you just connect some wires in parallel with the switch inside your normal garage door opener remote, run these wires to some place up in the dash, and then connect a push-button to the end of it. Then you mount this button somewhere neat and then every time you need to open your garage, you press the button that you mounted.

If you wanted to be really neat, you get a 12V regulator (or 9V/whatever your remote uses) and then use this to power your remote from the car battery.

All you have to make sure of is where you mount your remote. Some places in the car are very good at shielding the signal. Other thing is that if you hard wire it that way, you can't simply remove the remote from the car when you need to pop it into another car temporarily.

Well, the mod can cost $5. This was something I did in my old Camry, but I was young and had too much time on my hands. After doing it, I found myself thinking "whhy did I even bother to do that". Like mentioned above, you just connect some wires in parallel with the switch inside your normal garage door opener remote, run these wires to some place up in the dash, and then connect a push-button to the end of it. Then you mount this button somewhere neat and then every time you need to open your garage, you press the button that you mounted.

If you wanted to be really neat, you get a 12V regulator (or 9V/whatever your remote uses) and then use this to power your remote from the car battery.

All you have to make sure of is where you mount your remote. Some places in the car are very good at shielding the signal. Other thing is that if you hard wire it that way, you can't simply remove the remote from the car when you need to pop it into another car temporarily.

I define easy as not taking too much effort in summer doing stuff I'm not even confident with. Taking the blown alternator into consideration, I wouldn't muck around too much with electrical stuff unless I know what I'm doing / with some1 else 'supervising'. :D :lol: