Toyota Genuine Accessories Pricing - Difference?

Kroggie

I haven't since this topic covered in detail but have seen on other posts people mentioning the cost of having Genuine Toyota Parts installed.

I recently went to a Toyota dealer and enquired about the following. I guess I would like to see if people in other states / areas have been quoted differently....

I don't think it matters but these prices were quoted based on installing on a AT-X.

All labor quoted at $100 pr hr.

Interior Illumination - $150, 1hr 30min install.

Satnav - $4000, 1hr install

Rear View Camera* & Electrochromatic Mirror (Sold Separately but need both to work) $1000 combined, 2hr install.

Park assist - $500, 1hr30min install

I wont comment on the other stuff, but $4000 for satnav!?! Save yourself $3700 and get a navman or garmin, seriously how often are you going to use it to justify such an extortionate price?

Labour prices are pretty much industry standard.

Satnav - $4000, 1hr install

You can get a Top of the Range aftermarket Car DVD player with GPS for half that price.. :)

As others have mentioned, a $300 GPS will do the job.

The labour cost seems about right, $100-$110 per hour.

Holly crap. $4000?! For that price you can rip out the whole existing sound system and replace it with a top of the range one with amps subs and the lot! :o

Have to agree with all previous posters re: portable GPS. The Toyota GPS that came with my Presara isn't too crash hot.

My Garmin Nuvi 1450 kicks its a$$ by 100 miles. Has WAY more features, and better, more detailed maps and information, real time traffic updates AND it has advanced lane guidance to boot!!! Oh and lifetime updates for maps too.

I know which one I'll be relying on when I go on long trips...... and it sure ain't the inbuilt GPS in the car..

SAVE the $4,000 and buy yourself a top of the range portable GPS. Then spend the rest of the money on something else like upgrading the sound system or in car DVD/DTV system.......:D

Cheers,

BB

Hey mate welcome to the club.

yeah save that $4000 and either buy a decent h/unit with all the features for a 1/3 of the price or buy a street directory and spend the rest on a good set of wheels & tyres or coilovers and strut/sway bars. :D

genuine products are made to rip everyone off.

Actually.... Genuine products are made to rip everyone off, but make them feel better while being ripped off knowing that it's a Toyota endorsed GENUINE product. IN other words, being GENUINELY ripped off.

It sucks even more if you're being ripped off, and you're buying generic aftermarket "fell off the back of a truck" stuff. :P

However, what I AM curious about is if it's genuine toyota accessories, installed by a toyota trained technician in a toyota dealership's workshop.... does the new car warranty cover this accessory and installation for the duration of the new car warranty too? Logic dictates that it would.... but logic doesn't necessarily takes priority when it comes to warranty issues.

Hmmmmm.....

Cheers,

BB

This reminds me of when i called my local toyota dealer and asked for a price on a TRD kit :)

Thier response was $12,000 unpainted and that was just the price they wouldnt sell me it.

Considering the thai company wanted $900 for the kit unpainted and sent to my door

TRD springs and shocks genuine were $560 a corner aswell from them and TRD wheels were $420 each.

I guess you get what you pay for :)

Edited by Amaro

Just to clarify I never intended to pay $4000 for a Satnav, but was more interested in seeing if other areas charge differently. I have a TomTom XXL which I am happy with.

Personally I would pay for the illumination - more because I don't have the know how to do it myself and don't even trust myself to follow the guides available online.

BB - you are correct. Buying Genuine Toyota parts and accessories and having them installed by Toyota does mean they are covered by existing warranty. That is the thing with "genuine" they are made to work the best possible way with the rest of the car. - as opposed to other brands that are inferior and crap :) (That is at least how the car manufactures tells it)

Just to clarify I never intended to pay $4000 for a Satnav, but was more interested in seeing if other areas charge differently. I have a TomTom XXL which I am happy with.

Personally I would pay for the illumination - more because I don't have the know how to do it myself and don't even trust myself to follow the guides available online.

BB - you are correct. Buying Genuine Toyota parts and accessories and having them installed by Toyota does mean they are covered by existing warranty. That is the thing with "genuine" they are made to work the best possible way with the rest of the car. - as opposed to other brands that are inferior and crap :) (That is at least how the car manufactures tells it)

Thanks Kroggie. I thought so....:D

RIGHT LET ME AT THEM!

As far as warranty stands this is how it goes' no if's no butts its black and white!

IF the accessory has been fitted by the dealer at the time of purchase then you receive the FULL 3years warranty.

IF the accessory has been fitted by the dealer later on in the vehicles life whether it be a day later a month 6months a year whatever then you will get a one year unlimited kms warranty. However on certain items if you fit it yourself or have another workshop fit it then you may have no warranty at all as Toyota cannot guarantee the workmanship of non qualified technicians....

The reason that genuine parts and accessories are so expensive is because Toyota between 1.6 to 2.0 million bucks A MINUTE ON R&D and testing on parts vehicles and accessories these tests go way beyond the ADR specs a good example of this is that on one particular vehicle when they was making the new bulbar for it, it was designed and built met ADR then Toyota got it hands on it and wasn’t happy with the way it performed it didn’t meet its new stringent standards so it was back to the drawing board!

Also It costs a fortune to house these parts and ship/fly/truck them around the country all day every day! Were also very lucky in Toyota land to still be able to get parts and accessories for cars that are more than a decade old. very few brands can do this let alone still supply parts for vehicles from 80's! Still cost Toyota the same to make that part god no doubt even more now than it did then and sells in fewer numbers so of course this drives the individual parts price up BUT at least you can still get them! and honestly you'd be surprised by how competitive some genuine products are. It’s always worth checking out with your dealers first.