Super Runx (from a Japanese car magazine)

Just picked up a secondhand Japanese magazine called Best Car (April 26th 2005 issue). In it is a short article on a so-called Super Runx. If you don't know, the Runx is the Corolla hatch that Australia has been getting. The UK version (and possible SA) is called the Allex and has the sharp headlights on the 2003 models. From pics of the 2005 models, I can't tell the difference between the two. Anyway...

I've included scans of the 3 page article as well as a front 3/4, rear 3/4 and specifications pictures. For those who cannot read, I'll try with my minimal knowledge of japanese.

On the first page, where there is the pic of the 16V Turbo engine. I think it says "There exist a Toyota turbo engine, the one used in the Caldina, a 3S-GTE 2L, 260ps (256.4hp/191.2kW in our local units), but......."

The next page shows the car with an aggressive bodykit (reminds me of a mini Porsche Cayenne. Forgive me for saying that! Haha) and a front mounted intercooler. You might be wondering since the 3S-GTE comes stock with a top mount intercooler.

Well, the specs says 3AZ-GTE, 2498cc, 300ps (295.9hp/220.6kW) at 6500rpm, 38.0kg/m (372.8Nm) at 2500rpm and cost 3,500,000 yen (AU$41,707). Length is 4300mm, width 1800mm, height 1450mm, wheelbase length 2650 and weight 1300kg.

True or false? Up to you to decide. Here are the pics and links to the scans!

Car%20Front.jpg

Car%20Rear.jpg

Specs.jpg

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Maybe new 2006 Corolla bodyshell :ph34r: Back end looks like Mazda3, front end is ok.. don't know about AWD and that engine in a Corolla though ;) Cost is approx AD$55,000 based on that article so not too bad, in the league of STi and EVO. ;)

nice find!

looking at the drive shaft, is that RWD or AWD? (or none?)

Definitely AWD, pretty sure it's Corolla based.

2.5lt Turbo

300PS = 220kw

Designed to go up aginst the STi and EVO

If it's real then it's about bloody time Toyota released a real high performance car.

Haven't seen a real high performance car from Toyota since the Twin Turbo Supra!

Logical step up from the Stivo :) :) :)

really can't get my self into thinking i would ever buy a car that has a snail living under the bonnet  :unsure:

My new number plate and tshirts.......

NA4LFE B)

Yeah you are right....Porsche 911 Twin Turbo... hunk of crap... he he ;)

is it gonna be released in australia??? bout time Toyota release a new gen beasty car...i hate rexies even though i use to like em... it will be hot seeing those rollas on the street..i better start saving.. haha cheers boyz. :P

is it gonna be released in australia??? bout time Toyota release a new gen beasty car...i hate rexies even though i use to like em... it will be hot seeing those rollas on the street..i better start saving.. haha cheers boyz. :P

For now, I think it is just a concept to produce a current hot, road-going version of the old AE112 WRC car. I hope this car does make it into production, since Mazda has already joined the trend of turning family cars into cars that have more power than we can use with our speed limits (Mazda6 MPS). Toyota sadly doesn't have any sporty car other than the Corolla Sportivo and the Celica (more of a cruiser) and the MR2 (with the wrong ZZ engine in it!)

Toyota is trying to bring back its sports image, that's why they enter formula 1. So i think there is a chance of seein this hot corolla. If it did happen, oz toyota better start working to have it realease here.

Actually, it may be the next facelift Toyota Corolla Sportivo/RunX/T-Sport 2006/7 Model - Source http://motoring.asia1.com.sg/cgi-bin/motorbb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=002306 - Therefore similar to new Echo! All new model seems to be in 2008.

In addition.

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2006fvf/index22.html

2006 Toyota Corolla: Freshening.

2006 Toyota Echo: Redesign.

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_2008fvf/index3.html

2008 Toyota Corolla : Redesign.

2008 Toyota Matrix : Redesign.

.......and the following link is a very interesting read. http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=15460

Edited by omn1potent

toyota already make a 4wd turbo mid-size car: http://toyota.jp/caldina/grade/gt_four/

Yes, if Aus had brought the Caldina GT4 in, I would have bought it instead of the Accord Euro. Hehe. Read this Toyota Australia!

Looks real aggressive the Caldina GT4 but i believe the Accord Euro still has better chassis & suspension balance although its only fwd. The turbo and awd combo is a drag warrior ;) Now to test drive on GranTurismo4 :P

Looks real aggressive the Caldina GT4 but i believe the Accord Euro still has better chassis & suspension balance although its only fwd.  The turbo and awd combo is a drag warrior ;)  Now to test drive on GranTurismo4 :P

Yup! I have GT4 too. The caldina feels loose in GT4. But I was thinking of the Caldina based on the interior space. The Accord Euro's boot is tiny. Will only fit 2 small suitcases. And interior-wise, it is similar to a Corolla Sportivo (I kid you not!), except for the distance from the front windscreen.