PowerFC

Okay, Maybe this has been covered before not to sure but im after personal opinion's and people's experience in this kind of stuff because i have no experience or knowledge what so ever when it comes to this.

I might be heading towards a power fc getting the harness off SD etc.

But whats troubling me, is where should i go on from there. should i move on to the valves/springs or just upgrade the fuel pump injectors and cam gears? Some idea's to get me started to have a plan made up in my head because its very confusing just going from scratch without a plan!

Also, All aftermarket, items such as lightened flywheels cam gears injectors are all needed to be bought from USA? and i kno its a such dumb question but cant get it right

Or ill be allegable to gain my full license in december, and i should wait till then to do an upgrade :P

Im willing to take all negative/positive opinions so no one hold back

So you're thinking of getting an ecu before you have even done all the bolt on mods? That's just gonna end up costing you big money.

Also 2ZZGEs do not have cam gears as they are chain and sprocket driven, so no need to worry about that.

I was planning on a NA build. I have a ported head (inlet and exhaust ported) if you were keen. And some broken stage 3 cams too lol.

I/H/E would net you decent power.

If you were planning on valvetrain upgrades, hold off on the ecu until you have all the parts then get it tuned and installed at one time.

If you have I/H/E, want more but are not going so far as upgrading the valvetrain (cams etc) then I would pop in a ECU now (hell, thats what I was going to do).

However, if I was considering valvetrain upgrades I would get it ALL together at the same time, if you run stage 3 cams (+ springs etc), you really need to get a aftermarket ECU to make use the higher powerband and unlock those extra revs. FYI this would be awesome.

So ultimately you need one either way, its just deciding when your going to install it.

Oh and buy my PowerFC :P support my apprenticeship!

Ninja edit: BTW your stock fuel pump should supply you with all you'll ever need N/A, but you will most likely need to go up a step injector wise. Oh and if you go cams, def get And1's ported head!

Edited by Mole

Also 2ZZGEs do not have cam gears as they are chain and sprocket driven, so no need to worry about that.

Ummm, what?. Of course they have cam gears (you yourself just called them sprockets, same thing). As far as camshaft turning and timing etc is concerned there is no difference between timing chain and timing belt, just one is made from rubber (and has a habit of stretching and breaking if you don't change them at set intervals) and the other from metal (which doesn't stretch as much and generally lasts the life of the car). You're more likely to come across problems regarding cam gears when it comes to implementing the VVTLi, which not all aftermarket cam gears would be capable of replicating.

Ummm, what?. Of course they have cam gears (you yourself just called them sprockets, same thing). As far as camshaft turning and timing etc is concerned there is no difference between timing chain and timing belt, just one is made from rubber (and has a habit of stretching and breaking if you don't change them at set intervals) and the other from metal (which doesn't stretch as much and generally lasts the life of the car). You're more likely to come across problems regarding cam gears when it comes to implementing the VVTLi, which not all aftermarket cam gears would be capable of replicating.

I assumed he was thinking of aftermarket adjustable cam gears. Nothing available for that AFAIK for the 2ZZ, not like you would need it anyways.

My head and my fingers weren't in sync <_<

Think about how you want to go about modifying this car and what you want to achieve...as everyone else has said, if you intend to modify the car extensively and in a short time then do the tuning at the end...I'm still collecting parts at the moment

Well my mods so far, are CAI/Exhaust Headers, i was going to get a powerFC. before installing the FC i was going to make sure i had cams and bigger injectors to install but i was reading some info on DD Performance Research, They reccomened when doing this a lightened flywheel and upgrading valve and springs upgrade.

Just a bit confused but use are helping me go along with itt!!! cheers guyss.

buy a spare engine, have that fitted with new oil pump gears, valves, springs and cams. Then you dont have to molester your original engine or have the car off the road for more than a day or two.

Fit the new engine with HD clutch and light flywheel if you want, fit your choice of ECU and get the setup tuned to take full advantage of the mods.

If you want the 2zz to last at sustained high rpm then valves/springs and oil pump gears are a good idea.

Be prepared to spend the best part of $10K on a NA 2zz setup for minimal gain.

buy a spare engine, have that fitted with new oil pump gears, valves, springs and cams. Then you dont have to molester your original engine or have the car off the road for more than a day or two.

Fit the new engine with HD clutch and light flywheel if you want, fit your choice of ECU and get the setup tuned to take full advantage of the mods.

If you want the 2zz to last at sustained high rpm then valves/springs and oil pump gears are a good idea.

I think you just made me decide 10k on a NA, ill wait to get my full license cheers guys :D thnks for ur help

I think you just made me decide 10k on a NA, ill wait to get my full license cheers guys :D thnks for ur help

personally i think good choice ........ although a beefed up NA build would sound insane the bang for buck just isnt there ....... especially since the rolla is a fat little b'stard.

Unless u r putting ur car into the races and ur going to build an n/a beast and strip it all out then yeah F/I is the way to go ...... now ur next big question S/C or Turbo ? ;-)

Yes Xoom i was going to go all out on a quick N/A and have it ready for a turbocharged kit, and just smack it on but if i was to turbo it, i'd want to see one first and im hoping you attend the meet at bunnings this saturday so i can see your car and you can show me how good it goes :D

Yes Xoom i was going to go all out on a quick N/A and have it ready for a turbocharged kit, and just smack it on but if i was to turbo it, i'd want to see one first and im hoping you attend the meet at bunnings this saturday so i can see your car and you can show me how good it goes :D

But it would be epic fail with so much power through the front wheels wouldn't it huh.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But it would be epic fail with so much power through the front wheels wouldn't it huh.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah you are right would be alot of wheel spin. But because of the traction on the aurion it causes it to bounce, and lol manual owns auto!

As i said dont take it as i was dissing your aurion like i said i have owned one and if it was a daily driver i'd chose it over a sportivo anyday.

But i will admit cat got my tongue!

thing is u cant exact go all out quick N/A then pop a turbo on it because u r kinda heading in 2 different directions .... i.e. u'd go higher compression if u want n/a build but for the turbo u'd wanna decompress so u'll loose power n/a about 15% or so ...... so yeah not quiet going hand in hand ..... gonna have to pick a path and keep working in that direction ....... yeah man im gonna b at the meet ..... ill be in the dirty corolla that hasnt been washed in a while ..... hahahahahah ...... so stop by and say hello and let me know who u r on da forum as i know most ppl by their forum names ..... lol

sorry mate no joy rides unfortunately ..... learnt that lesson the painful way ..... lol

Okay after calling around doing some price hunting on the powerFC

Nengun ended up to being one of the cheapest for $1025.

I rang a few local stores and asked them and told them on the net i can pick it up for that price.

And one of those few people i spoke to said, When it gets delievered here, Custom's, Will charge something like 15% and 10% extra GST adding it up to about $1400.

I wanted to know is this a true fact?

And also does anyone know where i can get a PowerFC from at a cheaper price?

Okay so as i was doing a bit of reading, If im going to order the powerFc,I was going to upgrade the Oil Pump and Injectors and probably most likely piper stage 3 cams and possibly the valve and springs,

Okay i would like to know wheres the best place to order these things as in quality and brand and sorry if im being a bit blind folded and confusing im probably most likely to be more confused then you are.

Okay after calling around doing some price hunting on the powerFC

Nengun ended up to being one of the cheapest for $1025.

I rang a few local stores and asked them and told them on the net i can pick it up for that price.

And one of those few people i spoke to said, When it gets delievered here, Custom's, Will charge something like 15% and 10% extra GST adding it up to about $1400.

I wanted to know is this a true fact?

And also does anyone know where i can get a PowerFC from at a cheaper price?

Okay so as i was doing a bit of reading, If im going to order the powerFc,I was going to upgrade the Oil Pump and Injectors and probably most likely piper stage 3 cams and possibly the valve and springs,

Okay i would like to know wheres the best place to order these things as in quality and brand and sorry if im being a bit blind folded and confusing im probably most likely to be more confused then you are.

anything over $1000 inc postage will attract tax and import fees

Monkey Wrench Racing.

If you go stage 3 piper cams the valve train upgrades are a must.

What size injectors are you looking at?

Honestly, after looking at the prices off stuff its going owe me about 3k+ with postage here, then installing + tuning nearly 5k for all these mods, so its a big decision for me, probably going to let this car slip or wait a little bit till im legal to drive a turbo Thanks everyone for your help:)