New Aurion Owner

Dauphin3

Evening all,

Well today I went and put a deposit on a 2011 Toyota Aurion ZR6 in Silver Ash. There's no word yet on how long it might be before I get one (I was told that if they had to make one it might be about a 6 week wait).

I ordered the car with a sunroof. The salesman told me that the sun roofs are fitted as an after market feature and are done by a company called Prestige Sunroofs. I initially thought this to be a little odd as I would have thought that it would have been factory fitted. But then the salesman was telling me that even Ford and Holden use this particular company to do all their sunroofs....

Is anyone able to shed some light on this? I've had a bit of a look in to this particular company and it seems that they are quite a respected company and that I probably won't be able to tell the difference between factory fitted and aftermarket.

Also, is anyone able to tell me if the towbar is of the detachable variety or fixed and whether the socket is housed internally or mounted externally? (Forgot to ask the dealer this, and given the time of this post I will hardly be calling them... :P )

One last thing...are mudflaps available on the ZR6? The salesperson couldn't find any mention of them on their accessory list and we just assumed that due to the side skirts and spoilers etc that they weren't available.

From what I've read on this forum so far, it seems to be a wealth of knowledge and I'm certainly looking forward to reading and learning more!

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Hi Mate welcome to the forums and congrats on the purchase. Not sure with the sunroofs I personally don like them all the cars I have owned with sunroofs ( both factory and aftermarket ) have leaked at sometime in their life so I avoid them. From what I have seen with the towbar its a fixed type which comes through a hole on the rear bar and I dont think there is mudflaps available for the Sportivo due to the bodykit. Enjoy your ride and post up some pics once you pick it up.

Cheers

Peter

Welcome to the club...

When i was searching for a sunroof, most of the installers did mention that some Car Dealers do send new cars to their stores for sunroof installations.

Bit of an update....I rang this Prestige Sunroofs. They advised me that they can only fit a particular type of sunroof to the Aurion due to the safety guidelines they have to maintain. Anyway, I had a look at this particular sunroof and it was going to look *****!!! Not to mention that because it's aftermarket, they only put a rubber seal around the edges, and if I wanted folded edges it would cost $1500 more because they need to respray the roof. The final point is that they didn't have any of these particular sunroofs in stock, and won't have until May.

In short...went down to the dealer and took the sunroof option off! Saving myself $2000 and I think I'll be alot happier for it!!!

Now just waiting on the car (still no word as to how long the wait will be though :( )

Edited by Dauphin3

Bit of an update....I rang this Prestige Sunroofs. They advised me that they can only fit a particular type of sunroof to the Aurion due to the safety guidelines they have to maintain. Anyway, I had a look at this particular sunroof and it was going to look *****!!! Not to mention that because it's aftermarket, they only put a rubber seal around the edges, and if I wanted folded edges it would cost $1500 more because they need to respray the roof. The final point is that they didn't have any of these particular sunroofs in stock, and won't have until May.

In short...went down to the dealer and took the sunroof option off! Saving myself $2000 and I think I'll be alot happier for it!!!

Now just waiting on the car (still no word as to how long the wait will be though :( )

Welcome to the Club and nice to see another Aurion owner :)..and glad you took that sunroof option off because the idea of aftermarket sunroofs just freaks me out..if its factory fitted im up for it..put up some pics when you get the car ;)

Give your salesman a kick up the **** i say..... And perhaps have him take a trip to Altona lol. Aurion and Camry are taken off the main assembly line and diverted to a short side line where the factory sunroof is fitted they then return to the main line.

Holden and Ford use the same company which fit them after the car is built and left the line, this is why you may have noticed why both manufactures had a recall on the sunroof just recently and Toyota didn’t.

As for mudflap unfortunately there a no go on any of the sports models due to the sports side skirts

Yeah leave the sunroof for now, save the $2K for now

If your keen in a few years time get it then...

Its a good accessory to have on the Aurion :D

I was just about to mention the misinformation you've been given about the sunroof, but Adamsy beat me to it. Go down to your dealer and slap the salesman. What is it with those people? None of them ever seem to know half of what they're on about!

BTW, further to Adamsy's comment about being taken off the line, if you have the sunroof option the roof panel itself is actually an entirely different part made with the sunroof hole already in it, isn't it?

As for your towbar, yep, its a permanent fixture with the tongue poked through a hole in the bumper. Pictures below will give you the idea.

94175787.jpg94175083.jpg

(image stolen from CarSales)

There are aftermarket removable products available, but they might be a bit pricey.

You can remove the tongue of your factory one, but you need an impact wrench, or really strong arms and decent spanners, coz those bolts are pretty damn tight! You'll end up with just the hole left in your bumper, and you'll have to cable-tie the wiring harness to something behind the bumper out of the way. Just remember that when you put it back on you do those bolts back up nice and tight - last thing you want is to see your trailer overtaking you coz the tongue came off. :lol:

Man....I really shoulda done a bit more research *face palm*...that towbar will look crap!! Looks like I might be heading back down to the dealer to scrap something else off the order...sigh!

Thanks for the info re the sun roof guys. To say that I'm a bit ****** off in terms of the false info given by the sales man is a bit of an understatement. Disappointing as well, we've had previous experiences with this particular dealer and they've all been of an excellent nature.

Man....I really shoulda done a bit more research *face palm*...that towbar will look crap!! Looks like I might be heading back down to the dealer to scrap something else off the order...sigh!

It all comes down to if you really need a Towbar.

If your not going to be doing any towing at all, then you may aswell drop it from the list. :)

Well everythings finally sorted! Can breathe a bit easier now :D

Just back on the topic of those sunroofs again....I rang a couple of other local Toyota dealers and even they said that they're now fitted aftermarket. They said the only one that would come factory fitted is the Presara due to the sunroof being standard....but there's apparantly no longer an option for a factory fitted sunroof. Anyways, it's saved me an extra couple of $$$ so I'm happy anyway! :lol:

my TRD had a factory fitted sunroof and it leaked... so dont think that just cause a sunroof is "factory fitted" that its all sweet and nothing will go wrong with it...

back when i got my trd, the factory fitted sunroof was only available if you got the sat nav with it as a package... but i believe that got scrapped... maybe adamsy can shed some light on that?

My sunroof in the ZR6 is factory fitted and hasn't yet given me any grief - seals very well against the elements, no rattles etc. And having folded edges makes it appear far neater than a simple rubber seal would.

I have 2 thoughts about this. Either a) Toyota is trying to save money by using an aftermarket option for sunroofs (quicker production time, fewer "roof" parts required in storage etc) or B) Instead of giving you a brand new car made to your specs they're trying to build up an already built one to what you request.

Regardless, I find my sunroof to be a mostly useless option that I virtually never use and the SatNav that usually comes with it is best replaced by any number of aftermarket versions out there that do a far better job and offer more features.

Got a call from the dealer today....they've managed to source a car. Once they've added a few things here and there it hopefully should be ready for collection on Friday.

Anyways, I couldn't resist. I went straight down to the dealer to have a look and OMFG, this thing is the sexiest thing with four wheels I've ever seen. Should have brought the camera with me and posted a few photos....but anyways, bring on Friday!!! :yahoo:

Nice one mate...i bet your excited :D

also welcome to the club and very nice to see your a supporting member already,big ups :clap: ....a few of the club oldies should take note. ;)

yeah unless things have changed in the last month they are still diverted Aurion onto a side line to has these fitted, in fact there was a backlog of Aurion’s just recently because now you can get the sunroof without needing to tick the sat nav option but you still get the extra reading lamps over the rear seats. Also yes if you were to need a new turret the roof skin is totally different for those cars with sun roofs so you wouldn’t have to cut a hole and brace again if you ever had to put a new rood skin on for whatever reason. I'll ask the question tomorrow to be sure that things haven’t changed

• 2 weeks later...

Well after being screwed around by BankWest (they had to send the loan documents out three times because they kept making mistakes on them :angry: ) I was finally able to pick up the new beast today!

I am in luuurrrvvvv!!!!! :yahoo:

I'm yet to take her out for a proper spin, but so far it's been fantastic!!!

Was a little disappointed to find out my ipod touch wasn't compatible when plugged in via the USB (after a quick search on this forum I soon realised it wasn't me just going bonkers, and there were issues with it). So i've transferred all my music on to my phone (HTC Desire) and that works fine when connected via USB. I basically have no use for my ipod now lol!

Another thing I didn't pick up on before is that the rear wheel arches are lined with the boot liner material. Seems a little odd considering how dirty things will get under the wheel arches. I was thinking it might be for noise reasons yet it doesn't have it on the front arches....anyone able to shed some light on this?

But as I said...loving everything so far! Anyways, I'll go back to tinkering and discovering what she can do! :D

post-23590-0-83059400-1301559152_thumb.j

post-23590-0-49391100-1301559206_thumb.j

Well after being screwed around by BankWest (they had to send the loan documents out three times because they kept making mistakes on them :angry: ) I was finally able to pick up the new beast today!

Was a little disappointed to find out my ipod touch wasn't compatible when plugged in via the USB (after a quick search on this forum I soon realised it wasn't me just going bonkers, and there were issues with it). So i've transferred all my music on to my phone (HTC Desire) and that works fine when connected via USB. I basically have no use for my ipod now lol!

Another thing I didn't pick up on before is that the rear wheel arches are lined with the boot liner material. Seems a little odd considering how dirty things will get under the wheel arches. I was thinking it might be for noise reasons yet it doesn't have it on the front arches....anyone able to shed some light on this?

But as I said...loving everything so far! Anyways, I'll go back to tinkering and discovering what she can do! :D

Yes your spot on the wheel arches are covered in outdoor carpet for noise isolation reasons also makes it quieter when stones flick up in the rear guards. Also looks a bit more upmarket and is really easy to keep clean. Just hit it with your hose when you wash it and you’ll see the dirt wash out of it. I have an old sponge that i used to give them a quick wipe over with if there really dirty but usually just a nice hit of water cleans them up nicely. Good thing really i like it.

Good work on the new car!

Evidence to justify the slap in the face of your dealer:

610x.jpg

The panels assembled are specifically designed for the sunroof. If your vehicle grade doesn't offer the option, then what the dealer is saying would be correct in part (with omissions).

There was some early history for sunroof leaks (due to early drain tubes), but they have been sorted and communicated to dealers.

Edited by 450HP/tonne

Yes your spot on the wheel arches are covered in outdoor carpet for noise isolation reasons also makes it quieter when stones flick up in the rear guards. Also looks a bit more upmarket and is really easy to keep clean.

Until the ******ers get wet and shrink and don't line up in the arches anymore.

Yes your spot on the wheel arches are covered in outdoor carpet for noise isolation reasons also makes it quieter when stones flick up in the rear guards. Also looks a bit more upmarket and is really easy to keep clean.

Until the ******ers get wet and shrink and don't line up in the arches anymore.

It's weird your car has done it to two sets now? maybe the bumper is warped?

congrats dude. as for the towbar , i was in a quandary as well . i finally decided to get a hayman and reece. its a little less obtrusive and the tongue can be taken off by pulling out the pin. i will post a photo of mine. You still have to buy the genuine wiring kit. the h/r might be $50 - 80 dearer

as far as the audio -ipod issue.. is your unit a facia id no . something like 38006 .. cant remember as not at work. if so it may require a software update.

there is a sequence of button pressing to find out the base software and then you can work out it it needs an update via cd or complete replacement.

when apple brought out ios 4.2.1 in dec 2010 the audio units stick and say loading. so F-10 had to release another software update to combat this.

if s/w is 866-400 , 866-500 i believe it is update-able via cd . if early 866-219 or 866-300 the unit requires replacement.

do you connect your (Hongkong Telephone Company) via bluetooth ?.. if so and your in a call the seek button up and down adjusts the microphone gain 0 + or - 3 - this is software v 866-500.

post-18390-0-73461500-1301698051_thumb.j

post-18390-0-29274400-1301697993_thumb.j

Now how to get into software . hold preset 2 and 5 buttons , press disc/aux 3 times whilst holding 2&5. screen will be white with 3 options in blue on left side. hit debug.

screen changes giving 3 new options. select version... the screen will be full of numbers.. the 2nd line will say BASE --- --- this is the current s/w version .

cheers Tim

p.s. i forgot my trailer plug wiring i left as a throw out the boot. just wrap it in micro fibre cloths and 100mph tape. as well as a taped up section on the bumper to stop scratching.. im anal like that lol

when apple brought out ios 4.2.1 in dec 2010 the audio units stick and say loading. so F-10 had to release another software update to combat this.

That's exactly what mine is doing. Software is 866-500. Can this update just be applied by my Toyota dealer?

Thanks heaps for your help Tim!! At least I have a fix to the problem now! :D

And your towbar looks a heck of a lot better than the one they were going to fit...might have to have a bit of a look in to that!

Thanks again.