2012 Camry

urbanx

Illuminated vanity lights for driver and passenger and rear map lights are part of an option pack. They are not standard even on the Atara SL. See Features and Lighting on Toyota Australia's link for the Atara SL below.

http://www.toyota.com.au/camry/specifications/atara-sl

Let’s be honest who actually used the rear map lights AND they were only available when the sunroof was selected so it’s more than likely the same in the 50 series. Even if it's not only 1 in 100 customers would miss it. Front still has all the lights it always has.

Illuminated vanity lights for driver and passenger and rear map lights are part of an option pack. They are not standard even on the Atara SL. See Features and Lighting on Toyota Australia's link for the Atara SL below.

http://www.toyota.com.au/camry/specifications/atara-sl

Lets be honest who actually used the rear map lights AND they were only available when the sunroof was selected so its more than likely the same in the 50 series. Even if it's not only 1 in 100 customers would miss it. Front still has all the lights it always has.

It doesn't make sense not to have illuminated vanity lights standard on the higher end models. It's standard on my Rav4 Cruiser and the Aurion ZR6.

Edited by whatsnew

It doesn't make sense not to have illuminated vanity lights standard on the higher end models. It's standard on my Rav4 Cruiser and the Aurion ZR6.

Agreed. Illuminated vanity lights are an essential, as are rear reading lights on top-spec model. The Toyota website does not refer to any option packs, or even optional sun-roof on new Camry. However, I am sure they will get on top of this.

The moon roof is the only factory option available for the Atara SX and SL, Leather accented seats and or the moon roof is the only factory options available on Atara S.

& to be honest when they design new cars to a price something’s get left out in favour of others. id sooner have blind spot monitors on the SL than vanity lights that id use once a year.

They look pretty good in person, from the earlier photos I wasn't very keen on them but when you see one they're actually looking alright, especially the front end on the SX. The dark grey colour is stunning too :D The Altise model however I think isn't much of an improvement on the current one, when you see it side by side with an Atara it looks really cheap.

Biggest disappointments for me are the death of manual trans and no Sportivo :( Now there really is no point in having an Aurion as well if they're all automatics, should have just kept a V6 Camry. I can understand why but still...

They look pretty good in person, from the earlier photos I wasn't very keen on them but when you see one they're actually looking alright, especially the front end on the SX. The dark grey colour is stunning too :D The Altise model however I think isn't much of an improvement on the current one, when you see it side by side with an Atara it looks really cheap.

Biggest disappointments for me are the death of manual trans and no Sportivo :( Now there really is no point in having an Aurion as well if they're all automatics, should have just kept a V6 Camry. I can understand why but still...

Tash the SX is the "Sportivo" model, they have just dropped the name because they have finally listen that most find that name nothing short of poxy! it also would not go with the premium upmarket direction Toyota is taking with the Atara. The SX still has the different sports tuned suspesnion, revised steering, tinted head and tale lights, sports seats the extra bracing it's still a Sportivo it's just not called that anymore. Chances are the Aurion will be badged just SX6 and ZR6

Tash the SX is the "Sportivo" model, they have just dropped the name because they have finally listen that most find that name nothing short of poxy! it also would not go with the premium upmarket direction Toyota is taking with the Atara. The SX still has the different sports tuned suspesnion, revised steering, tinted head and tale lights, sports seats the extra bracing it's still a Sportivo it's just not called that anymore. Chances are the Aurion will be badged just SX6 and ZR6

Thanks Adamsy, I did get that from checking it all out in person/online :) At least they finally included dual exhaust!! It just won't be quite the same.. Ah well, am thankfully still a ways off from needing a new car. You're definitely right about the more premium upmarket direction, it certainly has improved a lot and I can understand the changes and they are overall for the good. The SX I saw certainly did look pretty nice.

I suppose its just hard to let go of the old :)

I think the SX, SL model designation is naff. I prefer actual names, especially for top-spec models (Ultima, Grande).

The letter designations remind me of 1980's Falcons and Commodores. Letters are meaningless unless they have a long history (eg: Merc S-class).

Is an SX better than SL, or vice versa? Given the discreet nature of the Camry lookswise, at least a fancy sounding badge on the rump tells the world you are not driving a fleet car special.

I think it is more likely than not that these letters will not survive past the gen 7 Camry.

I think the SX, SL model designation is naff. I prefer actual names, especially for top-spec models (Ultima, Grande).

The letter designations remind me of 1980's Falcons and Commodores. Letters are meaningless unless they have a long history (eg: Merc S-class).

Is an SX better than SL, or vice versa? Given the discreet nature of the Camry lookswise, at least a fancy sounding badge on the rump tells the world you are not driving a fleet car special.

I think it is more likely than not that these letters will not survive past the gen 7 Camry.

I'd agree with you on that one, the letter designations get very confusing, especially when there isn't much difference between the models either. I guess at least they kept the Altise, so everyone will know that's still the fleet model :lol:

i guess they just wanted people to think about the care in a different light and one way to do this it with a whole new line up. in time these names will be familiar too to us. There pretty straight forward. S is the entry level Atara, SX (a badge that’s familiar in the Toyota sports line up) is the sporty model and SL is the sports luxury model.

With the research and workshops done by Toyota showed people thought the names like ultima and Grande were nothing short of naff and poxy.

i guess they just wanted people to think about the care in a different light and one way to do this it with a whole new line up. in time these names will be familiar too to us. There pretty straight forward. S is the entry level Atara, SX (a badge that's familiar in the Toyota sports line up) is the sporty model and SL is the sports luxury model.

With the research and workshops done by Toyota showed people thought the names like ultima and Grande were nothing short of naff and poxy.

That is also true, Ultima and Grande didn't have much of a ring to them. I guess it's just with all the letters these days and manufacturers doing different things. Like you said though they have tried to keep it pretty simple. I do like the name Atara actually, it definitely suits, clever with the meaning of 'new crown' as well.

I disagree. Using letters is not done by any other manufacturer, and reeks too much of the Holden Gemini SL/X and Ford Falcon GLi days (from 20 + years ago). The obvious reason Toyota is using this naming system is to emphasise the nameplate "Camry", in the same way a Honda Accord is referred to as just that, and not a Honda Accord Nav Luxury, for instance.

I don't think it will work. I think the naming system is confusing. It's not like Toyota is ever consistent with model designations anwyay. It used CSi and CSX, etc for two series, then went with Altise, Ateva, etc. What about the Conquest? Or the Azura? Or the CSi Executive? Or the Touring (no, not the limited edition special, the pre-Sportivo model)? And what now about Sportivo? And why can I buy a Corolla Ultima, but not a Camry Ultima? And why is a Pressara better than a Prodigy? What does AT-X mean? Oh, my head is spinning...it's time for nap.

Matinj, how many other consumer-level manufactures have uniform model designations across their range? Ever heard of a Commodore CDX or a Cruze Omega? How about a Falcon LX, Territory XT, or Mondeo TX? Me neither. (Sh*t, how confusing is that - entry level Falcon is "XT" while Territory is "TX" - same letters, just swapped!)

Also, your comment about having "a fancy sounding badge on the rump tells the world you are not driving a fleet car special"... it does - is says "Atara", in big letters that make the "Camry" badge pale into insignificance.

Oh... and at everybody that doesn't like the letters for trim levels, Toyota USA have letters for their Camry range (LE, SE, etc.), Much of Holden and Ford's range use letters (even now, not just 20 years ago), as do Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, etc. Hell, even when you get into the premium manufacturers, most of BMW's range use their 3 digit numbering system to denote model and engine capacity, and Audi don't really even have a system.

I disagree. Using letters is not done by any other manufacturer, and reeks too much of the Holden Gemini SL/X and Ford Falcon GLi days (from 20 + years ago). The obvious reason Toyota is using this naming system is to emphasise the nameplate "Camry", in the same way a Honda Accord is referred to as just that, and not a Honda Accord Nav Luxury, for instance.

I don't think it will work. I think the naming system is confusing. It's not like Toyota is ever consistent with model designations anwyay. It used CSi and CSX, etc for two series, then went with Altise, Ateva, etc. What about the Conquest? Or the Azura? Or the CSi Executive? Or the Touring (no, not the limited edition special, the pre-Sportivo model)? And what now about Sportivo? And why can I buy a Corolla Ultima, but not a Camry Ultima? And why is a Pressara better than a Prodigy? What does AT-X mean? Oh, my head is spinning...it's time for nap.

well said

lols

them bloody model names were always so damn confusing across the different ranges of the Toyota fleet.

Another example is Mazda, they just have the plate "Mazda6", or 3 or 2. Model differences will take some skill for the average female, or a non car fan, as the only way to distingish is by the body panels, size of alloys & small things like HID or Halogens in the projectors. I prefer if Toyota went down that path - discret but all discribed somewhat equally...sort of, unless you buy the MPS lols

• 2 weeks later...

The stitching looks real, but is only there for visual effect and serves no functional purpose, the dash itself it made of soft plastic. Can't comment on the headrests, but I daresay they'd be adjustable, surely?

Hello. Not that i'm dissing Aussie made stuff...but would there be a difference in future trade in between a japanese engine'd camry to an australian built one?

Well not that it's an issue in Oceania/middle east as all the Camry's are built in Australia. We do not have any imported Camry's coming into Australia (except ones privately brought in) there all built here. But as Altona is regarded by TMC to build the best Camry's anywhere in the world so if there was a difference it would be to the Australia built vehicle's advantage.

The stitching looks real, but is only there for visual effect and serves no functional purpose, the dash itself it made of soft plastic. Can't comment on the headrests, but I daresay they'd be adjustable, surely?

Couldn’t find where the rest of head rest comment came from but yes they are adjustable in the same way as 40 series Camry and Aurion was.

The rear headrests are not adjustable, at least based on inspection I had at a dealer and confirmed as applying across the range by a review. Also, goose-neck hinges prevail in the boot. Hopefully these and a few other issues (lack of LED rear lights, lack of xenon headlights, lack of visual differentiation across models, lame alloy wheel design, charging full retail price) will all be resolved when a facelifted model comes out in a couple of years time.

Up and down only is still adjustable by definition (it can be moved, as opposed to being fixed in place).

Agree with martinj re boot hinges. Goosenecks remaining is disappointing. They fixed this in the 30 series, why go back and f*** it up again from 40 series onward? :blink:

No the headrest can’t be moved forwards and backwards. it severely affects how the active head restraints operate. VW has worked away round this and it's f@rking hopeless and looks god ugly.

Sucks they kept the goosenecks but they won’t be fixed on the facelift but radar cruise, rear LED's and HID headlamps apparently will be added to the range.