2012 Camry

urbanx

Seen a couple of Atara's driving around the Brisbane area with promotional decals on etc. I gotta say, in the flesh amongst other cars on the road, it doesn't really stand out much. Not that the Gen 6 did either, but it was more recognisable as a Camry.

Surely no one buys a car on rear seats alone.

What about heads of state of oil-rich African countries who get chauffeur driven everywhere? Sure, they may be a minority group, but let's not discriminate, okay.

When you're that rich you don't buy a car, you get the car you want made

Indeed, and in the process of procuring a custom-made vehicle, one would not require fixed, lumpy rear headrests. That would be undignified.

Seen a couple of Atara's driving around the Brisbane area with promotional decals on etc. I gotta say, in the flesh amongst other cars on the road, it doesn't really stand out much. Not that the Gen 6 did either, but it was more recognisable as a Camry.

Agreed. Side profile is too much like an enlarged current Corolla sedan. Then again, by all reports it drives noticeably better than gen 6. By the way, I drove a friend's new Merc E250 CGI yesterday - same size as Gen 6, same hefty feel, and similar handling (the rear drive impact felt very muted compared to local rear-drivers Commodore & Falcon). Obviously, the interior fittings were much, much better than Camry...feels like I'm driving a stipped-out base Daihatsu when I stepped back to my own car.

What about heads of state of oil-rich African countries who get chauffeur driven everywhere? Sure, they may be a minority group, but let's not discriminate, okay.

They also don't buy Camrys.

What about Atara's? oh BOOM! lol ahahahahaha

They do, gold coloured ones.

Bullet-proof, gold plated, gilt edged, and polished. Do you think they prefer velour or leather in those hot African climates? Velour would not get as hot, but leather adds a touch of added luxury.

Bullet-proof, gold plated, gilt edged, and polished. Do you think they prefer velour or leather in those hot African climates? Velour would not get as hot, but leather adds a touch of added luxury.

Limo tint, glass an inch thick and climate-control aircon that could power a small office building means that you can pretty much guarantee it'll be 18 degrees inside, no matter what the weather is like outside.

Please, let's not repeat that saga again. The 2012 Camry has fixed headrests, okay? Man, I am getting so angry. If you don't believe me, just go down to a Toyota dealership and see for yourself. Aaaarrgh!!! I am seriously going to go mental soon!!! I hereby pledge and declare all my assets and undertakings that the 2012 Camry has fixed rear headrests. Come and sue me if I am wrong!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, like, this is driving me crazy!!

Please, let's not repeat that saga again. The 2012 Camry has fixed headrests, okay? Man, I am getting so angry. If you don't believe me, just go down to a Toyota dealership and see for yourself. Aaaarrgh!!! I am seriously going to go mental soon!!! I hereby pledge and declare all my assets and undertakings that the 2012 Camry has fixed rear headrests. Come and sue me if I am wrong!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, like, this is driving me crazy!!

It was a joke, as in you'd have to pay all that money to get a custom-built car just to get adjustable headrests.

Jeeezz. Nice way to misread the post. It's good to see just how mental and worked up you get over the lack of rear headrests.

On a side note, I find it hilarious how such a thing is such a serious matter for you. In addition to finding it hilarious, I also find the requirement to build a bridge is becoming necessary.

I've seen a few of these on the roads, still not feeling the love :(.

I hope the new Aurion doesn't look like Anus (or at least have the bum of the current Camry).

Edited by Harlo

I got out of the house today despite Melbourne's Winter like rainy weather and went to a few different dealerships; including one in the West of Melbourne and had a look at the

2012 Camry Altise and the Atara S.

The new interior is a vast improvement over the previous model.

I didn't take one for a test drive.

The reason for going to the dealerships to have a look is that my 1996 Camry (2.2.L) got rammed from behind on Thursday afternoon. :blush:

I drove through an intersection, stopped as traffic had banked up and BANG! .... a young fella in an SS VY Ute rammed into the back of my car.

I don't think I heard a screech of brakes.

The headrest of my car also gave me a good thump to the base of my head. :wacko:

I also got pushed into the car in front of me, so the front bumper also got a few scrapes/scratches etc. The car in front (a small Europeam hatch) seemed to fare ok.

Called the insurance company and then went to a local repairer the following morning.

According to the repairer, my car is likely to be a writeoff.

It's getting assessed on Wednesday.

I've had the car for 14 years, and was hoping to keep it another year.

On the bright side, having done just over 200 000klms it was due to a new timing belt and has had an oil leak.

The 2012 Altise is listed as Drive Away at RRP $34,300 and the Atara S is listed as Drive Away at a shade under RRP $37 000 Drive away.

I just wonder, with it being a brand new model, how receptive the dealers will be to haggling/negotiating on the price.

Your thoughts? Suggestions? Tips?

I did also have a look at the Mazda 6 Touring; RRP Drive Away at $34,990

Considering these prices, I'm also leaning towards and considering a 2 - 3 year old Aurion as it looks like these can be picked up at around the 25k mark.

Being that at around $25k I would be saving around 10k; the extra fuel consumption of the Aurion is really not a major issue.

If I was to settle for a Gen 6 Camry, it would have to be an update model and a Sportivo.

post-7928-0-97800900-1330775956_thumb.jp

Edited by prometheus

For me buying my camry was a choice made with the fact that it was going to be a secondary car for us (a shopping, park at station etc car). If it's going to be same for you, you might want to consider that also. You might save a few 1000s on bying a camry over an aurion but if you're not going to need an aurion than why buy it?

As for what camry, i'd settled for a 2009+ model and not brand new. You can save $$$ by bying a 2-3 years old car which you can still be happy with. Sportivo with it's bodykit, sports seats will stand out so go for that.

I did also have a look at the Mazda 6 Touring; RRP Drive Away at $34,990

I would defiantly prefer the competition: 6/Accord Euro/Kizashi and even the ugly Liberty (though still being prettier than the Atara). Take a test drive of the different cars, the 6 has the best handling/ride, the Euro has the looks, Kizashi and Liberty are all rounders.

The Aurion is also quite nice, I'd get a Presara/ZR6 spec which is a few years old if I were in your shoes (I regret choosing a Grande).

The 6th Gen Camry is a bit boring...

However, all these things are subjective - as long as you like the car then don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Edited by Harlo

I really dislike the fake woodtrim on the Presara etc. It's a deal breaker for me.

I mean seriously. What were they thinking?

You might save a few 1000s on bying a camry over an aurion but if you're not going to need an aurion than why buy it?

It's a smoother, quieter drive. Better power and I assume doesn't consume all that much fuel compared to the Camry.

I also like the Aurion interior better.

Hmmm, seems like I'm talking myself into the Aurion; an SX6 would be nice.

Edited by prometheus

FInally had a proper look at the Atara in the flesh the other day. It was an Atara SL. Build quality of the interior is definately a step up (even if the dash material itself is still that soft-plastic feel of the previous gen), leather definately feels better quality than that in my Aurion ZR6, and IMO the SL seats are on par with the comfort of my car too. And for the first time in history, I actually don't hate the fake woodgrain (to the extent that it wouldn't be a deal breaker in buying the car).

All in all, not a bad package. Can only imagine the SX is even better (for my tastes). If it came in a 6, I'd be all about it.

I don't mind fake woodgrain in Toyotas. The fake stuff in Fords & Holdens is the worst, as it is just painted on and literally rubs away to reveal white plastic over time.

My current car has silver plastic, which is effectively fake aluminium.

Even the Lexus LS460 uses fake (and not real) wood trim.