2012 Camry

urbanx

I don't mind fake woodgrain in Toyotas. The fake stuff in Fords & Holdens is the worst, as it is just painted on and literally rubs away to reveal white plastic over time.

My current car has silver plastic, which is effectively fake aluminium.

Even the Lexus LS460 uses fake (and not real) wood trim.

Whilst that is true about the LS460, but you can't really say it's the same stuff as what's in the Camry lol

Build quality of the interior is definately a step up (even if the dash material itself is still that soft-plastic feel of the previous gen)

The plastics of the Aurion/Camry are actually the cheap hard type plastic.

The Premium Soft-touch plastics are found in the Lexus range.

Yes, just to clarify, when I say soft plastics, I refer to the fact that the plastic is softer (more rubbery?) to the touch than the plastic of, say, the centre console components, much like the 40 series. But it is still unmistakebly plastic. Its certainly not the premium soft touch plastic found in higher end vehicles, though, quite right. The whole thing feels better put together than 40 series though, and looks much nicer. The faux stitching is a nice touch also.

I would say $22k private sale. I reckon a dealer would list it for $25k, but knock the price down to $22k. New ones are available as runout for $30k driveaway, and the shape is ancient history.

"Whilst that is true about the LS460, but you can't really say it's the same stuff as what's in the Camry lol"

Yes, Lexus cultivates its fake woodgrain from a unique plantation of fake trees grown in the Japanese highlands. On the other hand, Toyota sources its fake woodgrain from a fictional forestry plantation in the Philippines.

"Whilst that is true about the LS460, but you can't really say it's the same stuff as what's in the Camry lol"

Yes, Lexus cultivates its fake woodgrain from a unique plantation of fake trees grown in the Japanese highlands. On the other hand, Toyota sources its fake woodgrain from a fictional forestry plantation in the Philippines.

That's odd. I thought Lexus uses real wood trim, made by Yamaha. I also remember reading a thread where an owner sanded down & refinished his wood trim, don't think that can be done with plood (Unless I'm wrong.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaakvyH6qU

https://secure.drive.../Steering-Wheel

http://www.clublexus...ng-plastic.html

http://www.clublexus...-real-wood.html

http://www.clublexus...e-dye-pics.html

http://www.clublexus...748-post32.html

http://www.clublexus...-wood-trim.html

Edited by ToyotaFreak

My understanding is that real wood was previously used (california walnut?), but promotional material for the new LS refers to woodgrain trim (the same terminology used in the industry for fake wood). I thought this was perhaps driven by an eco-friendly agenda.

What different terminology might they use if it was real wood then?

It may well be fake wood in the LS, I wouldn't know, but real or not, isn't it still literally a "woodgrain trim"?

Correct. If it is real wood, then manufacturers often refer to the tree it is sourced from. For instance, everyone knows that Holden used to use blackbean in its top of the line Caprice. Open a BMW brochure and you can choose from myrtle, walnut, etc.

Is fake wood literally wood? Look, I am not sure. I suppose it's like asking if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? No-one knows, because no-one can know. One can hypothesise, but never be able to collect empirical data to prove one way or the other.

I don't recall the brochure of our M-class mentioning if the wood used is real, fake or the source of the wood, but a visit to the parts department confirmed it, as the owner wouldn't be able to order the pieces of wood trim separately if one of the pieces is scratched up/ damaged (This is also the case with Lexus.).

Oh yeah, even on cars that have real wood, it's usually a thin veneer, on a plastic (I know the 2gen. Lexus IS has a brown plastic base underneath the veneer.) or aluminum base covered by a layer of clearcoat (Which probably gives people the impression that it's plastic wood.). It's like that in our Merc, even Lexus & Bentley. Apparently, the wood trim will warp after a while if it's a thick piece. Oh yeah, there's also matte wood trim, which some mistakenly identify as fake wood the first time they see it (I guess you could blame some of the Korean cars from the mid to late 90s that came with matte plastic wood trim for that.).

Anyways, I think we might have veered a little off topic from the 2012 Camry. ^_^

*Tries to get back on topic* Was behind one on the way back from uni earlier, the taillights would look really nice with LEDs in them. Hopefully Toyota add LEDs when the Hybrid or facelift model comes out.

Edited by ToyotaFreak

Hybrid model is now out in New Zealand. I guess this means that the Australian launch is very soon. Just like the Aurion in the other thread, no interior or rear view photos yet.

CamryHybridiTechHero.jpg

http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Models/Passenger/Camry/

Hybrid Camry images and specs have being relased here too now.

2.5 2AR-FXE 2.5-litre Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder is all new 118kW and 213Nm - up from 105kw - combined power 151kw up from 140kw

Combined Fuel consumption is 5.2L/100kms - down from 6.0L/100kms

Boot Capacity is up from 389L to 421L

Hybrid Camry can now also tow... a WHOPPING 300kg....

There are 2 different models, H & HL (no prizes for guessing what they stand for)

H looks like an Altise with ofocurse the signature hybrid grill and head lamps and the HL looks like an classier altise with sharper angles and plenty of chrome and foglamps and ofocurse singature headlamps and grill.

other features include:

blind-spot monitor and automatic high-beam. Standard features for both grades comprise: alloy wheels (16-inch for Camry H, 17-inch for HL), electric driver's seat adjustment, dual-zone climate control, hill-start assist control, keyless entry/start and reversing camera. Camry H makes do with a six-speaker audio system and 6.1-inch display screen. Added equipment for the Camry HL amounts to front fog lights, rear lip spoiler, chrome door handles, chrome rear garnish, leather trim, upgraded door trim, memory function for driver's seat, electrically-adjustable front-passenger's seat, electro-chromatic rear-view mirror and electric rear sunshade. Icing on the cake comes with rain-sensing wipers, a dipping external mirror when reverse gear is selected, rear parking sensors with acoustic guidance and a JBL 10-speaker digital audio with integrated satellite navigation.

I don't understand the combine Kws. How did they calculate this?

I drove the current Hybrid (not the new one) and could feel it to be 140Kws, if anything it felt weaker than normal 117Kws Camrys.

I don't understand the combine Kws. How did they calculate this?

I drove the current Hybrid (not the new one) and could feel it to be 140Kws, if anything it felt weaker than normal 117Kws Camrys.

Lol really? are you sure it was a Hybrid because as soon as you get in them you can tell there a more powerful, quicker more relaxed vehicle, especially accelerating up to highway speeds. in fact the 40 series was faster than v6 commodore to 100kms and the 50 series is not too far behind an Aurion.

Ok to put this simply (and isn’t meant in an offensive manner) if you don’t understand how they come up with the combined power/torque figure than you simple don’t understand how Hybrid Synergy Drive works.

To explain it real quick you have the 2.5 quad cam D-VVT-i 4 cylinder running an Atkinson cycle producing 118kw & 213 nm (as opposed to the "conventional Otto cycle engine producing 133kw) then of course you have the electric engines MG1 and MG2, MG2 produces 105kw and 270nm. Now because Toyota's Hybrid system can run simply on the petrol engine alone , the electric engine alone or a Synergy of both you don’t simply just add the two figures together. & because of how the system works the electric system and petrol system is never making max power and torque at the same time. 151kw is the highest peak when the two engines are working together. Put the engine dyno figures over each other on a graph and where the two lines meet is the combined power output. Very rough explanation but you get the idea?

• 5 weeks later...

The stitching looks real, but is only there for visual effect and serves no functional purpose, the dash itself it made of soft plastic. Can't comment on the headrests, but I daresay they'd be adjustable, surely?

On the SL the head rests on front seats are adjustable, but not on the rear seat ones.

Edited by angd

I tried out a 2012 Camry for size. Drivers legroom is less than gen 6 (by about 5cm) as is headroom (by about 1cm).

Fixed rear seat headrests look super cheap.

Alloy wheels look like something from 1988.

Great driving car, but probably best to wait for the facelifted model late next year.

I tried out a 2012 Camry for size. Drivers legroom is less than gen 6 (by about 5cm) as is headroom (by about 1cm).

Great driving car, but probably best to wait for the facelifted model late next year.

Which model did you test drive? Altise or Atara range?

Toyota have had a brain explosion with this one. I can see second hand 50 series Camrys on the market with massive indentations in the rear headrests from child restraint straps, lol.

Looking at the photos in the press release for the 50 series Aurion, it's utilising adjustable rear headrests. I wonder why they just didn't do the same for the Camry. Oh, hang on... cost-cutting strikes again! :)

Err no? these have noticeably more interior space than Gen6, same outside dimensions larger inside ones, length width and height especially in the rear lol.