looking to get insurance...

well im turning 18 in about a month and i got a 03 corolla sportivo. ive looked around online on a few websites to try and get insurance quotes, but all of the ones ive tried have stated that all drivers must be over the age of 25..does anybody know the reason for this? since the car is p-plate legal.. and what insurance company would you recommend?

well im turning 18 in about a month and i got a 03 corolla sportivo. ive looked around online on a few websites to try and get insurance quotes, but all of the ones ive tried have stated that all drivers must be over the age of 25..does anybody know the reason for this? since the car is p-plate legal.. and what insurance company would you recommend?

im 19 and the insurance company im using is just car insurance, its not over the top price and its easy to handle with, visit their website at http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au

You could get your parent to insure your car under their name and include you as a driver until you turn 25.

This way you could save some monies on the insurance premium.

The only downside is you won't get any unclaim discounts until you have your own policy.

Edited by the-converter

also if you go for the cheaper option, if you do cause the accident, there will be a big excess fees!

I've heard, either way your going to get chopped by a really high premium every time if your buying insurance for the first time. I would suggest calling up for a quote as it's a lot more accurate than a internet quote, call multiple companies, and just tell them to price match.

You could get your parent to insure your car under their name and include you as a driver until you turn 25.

The only downside is you won't get any unclaim discounts until you have your own policy.

really? i thought if u are one of their nominated drivers, the discounts are passed on to u.

really? i thought if u are one of their nominated drivers, the discounts are passed on to u.

My understanding is the discount should be passed on to the policy holder. Can someone confirm that?

I don't aware you can actually nominate who you want the discount to be passed on.

My understanding is the discount should be passed on to the policy holder. Can someone confirm that?

I don't aware you can actually nominate who you want the discount to be passed on.

no wat i meant was when u are on the policy holder account as a nominated driver, the discounts get passed on to both of u rather than just the policy holder. so even when u go with an insurance company they look at ur driving history if there was no claim against you u can get the benefits for not having an at fault claim for x amount of years.

no wat i meant was when u are on the policy holder account as a nominated driver, the discounts get passed on to both of u rather than just the policy holder. so even when u go with an insurance company they look at ur driving history if there was no claim against you u can get the benefits for not having an at fault claim for x amount of years.

what Kenshin X has said is correct. regardless of whether or not you are a nominated driver, when you gain coverage (even if the policy is in your name or not) you have a duty of disclosure and utmost good faith to tell the insurer about any claims and accidents you have had, usually in the last 5 years only. this includes windscreen and natural disaster/storm claims.

so technically, you accumulate your own rating regardless of the terms of the policy. for example, even if the main policyholder is a rating 2 or even rating 4, you yourself may be entitled to a rating 1 depending on your insurance and driving history if you were to have a policy in your own name.

hope that helps clarify the rating system.

The only downside is you won't get any unclaim discounts until you have your own policy

while this in theory sounds great and yes you can save money, it is misrepresentation of facts.

you would still have the main financial interest in the vehicle, and if you're the registered owner and main driver (at least 20%) you must disclose this. otherwise, when or if you claim and the insurer finds this out, you run the risk of having your claim denied (if the insurer can demonstrate they wouldn't have offered cover if the true facts had been revealed at the policy application time), or they can force you to pay any outstanding and/or additional premium on a pro-rata basis (ie. back-dated the amount owing) before they pay any policy benefits.

but, at the end of the day, it's your choice what you do.

Edited by lateralus