TOCAU FEEDBACK ON COILOVERS -post your Pro's/Con's Reviews please!

KIRIUS

Im aware they're bang for your buck coilovers and ive been researching all the main threads of the last 4 or so years.

so d2 and ksport arent the same company but do ulitize the same facilities and such.. there a rumours megan does too..

i have alot of mixed feedback on a few brands however most relate to hondas, acura's, preludes, 240sx, and mr2.

[i am wanting more info in regards to celicas(ST184)]

I've got a general outlook from other opinions on other cars, but no real decent reviews so im fishing around tocau in search of your opinions as consumers and observations/likes/dislikes if you have/had them installed.

So heres a vague list of what i've found in the lower end of the price range:

Ksport-decent quality, good customer service, tonnes people love them, general street use with a bit of spirited driving, lots of people dont, lots of threads about them snapping in half/breaking. Way too soft, most popular between the debates of Ksport vs D2.(60%-40%) neon orange/black preferred by silvia/honda community, bitch to adjust rear, predominantely european market. fairly easy to acquire, cheapest on market due to widespread wholesale.

D2- easily ajustable knobs, stiff/hardriding, tight cornering, odd handful of oil leak threads, pathetic anti-rust coating, aethetically look better black, purple.reliable predominantely japanese market.harder to find supplier that will ship, slightly more expensive than ksport. may need end links if wanting to lower more than 1.1/2 inch from factory.

tein /GC/koni/yellow- not after springs, after the whole coil assembly.

f2- new brand on the block, not much feedback, apparently very stiff and possibly knock. only known feedback from an mr2

Driftworks-bitch to ship.. track gear

Megan- mixed feedback on these guys, great for cruising, fairly reliable spirited driving, not the best for thrashing, get beaten and build up ***** easily. mid range pricing, not as much setting variety as the d2/ksport.

tanabe- very limited adjustment options, fairly cheap good quality, not too many happy customers due to restrictive dampering etc.

BC coilovers- -.- mind blank..

Please go ahead and post me all info you have on the brand you use.

It could become a helpful database for other members in the future

Brand:

Equipped to(model):

price:

customer service:

installation:

cornering/handling:

ride/stiffness:

pro's:

cons:

other observations:

general lifespan:

Edited by KIRIUS

Will update this post on friday

Brand: Tanabe sustec pro nf

Equipped to(model): zre152h corolla

price: $1500 shipped approx (i bought second hand)

customer service:n/a

installation:$250 fitting and alignment cash price, midas rockdale (nsw)

cornering/handling: feels significantly better than stock shocks and springs/lowering springs

ride/stiffness: alot stiffer than stock but not so much that its back breaking

pro's: good for your daily drive

cons: doesnt go low enough lol

other observations:

general lifespan:not sure

Brand: Cusco Zero2

Equipped to(model): ZZE123

price: $2400

customer service: unknown

installation: bolt in

cornering/handling: good balance

ride/stiffness: a bit soft for serious track work, a bit hard for the ladies on the road

pro's: bolt in, high quality, good setup

cons: Nothing major. rebuilding them is basically a whole new strut and reusing the remaining hardware.

other observations: none

general lifespan: So far 100k and 6 years

Brand: DMS 40mm

Equipped to(model): ZZT231

price: $3500

customer service: sales is ok, after sales support in need of improvement

installation: requires the stock upper mounts to be reused

cornering/handling: very good

ride/stiffness: depends on spring rates and type chosen.

pro's: Australian made, good range of springs for a decent price

cons: lower rear spherical bearing is prone to accelerated wear

other observations: Go something cheaper and more reliable for street use

general lifespan: on the car for 2 years, but went through 6 pairs of spherical bearings on the rear.

Brand: Murry Coote

Equipped to(model): ZZT231

price: $5000

customer service: top notch

installation: requires upper mounts to be reused

cornering/handling: very good

ride/stiffness: depends on spring rates and valving

pro's: Australian made and owned, considered one of the best coilovers on the market

cons: Cost is high for street use

other observations: Track use only with the cost involved, but no reason not to use them on the street if budget allows

general lifespan: No issues in 1 year

wow theres some damn decent info already, thanks Rice and Dave :rolleyes:

SuperDave knows. That little RunX (and him) is King of Lakeside.

BTW: you shouldn't use the :rolleyes: if you're saying thanks, it looks like you're being sarcastic. That's the look you usually use on me.

That's the look you usually use on me.

Dear god!

I'd say you use it on me, but you use more of a scolding/disbelief sort of look.

i didnt mean it that way. :o

i like that icon its all michevious like and happy.

apologies if my compulsory smiley abuse has offended anyone.. :unsure:

Edited by KIRIUS

That's the look you usually use on me.

''Dear god!

I want a new spanner set for xmas, and that bike i always point at but mum never buys!

ill give you lots of cookies.

love Trent

xD''

hey back on topic here, either of you guys got aftermarket suspension you can post up a review on?

Edited by KIRIUS

Here's my contribution

Brand: BC Coilovers - BR version

Equipped to(model): ZZE123R

price: 1250 + installation

customer service: OK

installation: bolt on

cornering/handling: Definately better than the stock sussy setup. Haven't been on the track with em though

ride/stiffness: good at 10 damper but scared to go past 22 as its already very hard :P

pro's: price BFYB

cons: none so far atm

other observations: need to raise it higher :P

general lifespan: no problems with them yet.

Brand: Pedders

Equipped to(model): camry 2003 sportivo

price: $1700 + 300 installation & alignment

customer service: very good

cornering/handling: good handling

ride/stiffness: a bit soft, comfortable as factory shocks when adjust the dampering to soft. Hard after 26

pro's: comfortable, adjustable height & dampering, good for street use in Australia, 2 years warranty( anything wrong with free replacement)

cons: limited height adjusted, need to change spring rates to lower more for front. The kit does not have any camber adjustment.

other obvseration: high cost - spend a couple of hundred more, u can get the tein or other better brand

general lifespan: 1.5 years, no cost for full replaceing 1 front noise shock

• 3 weeks later...

Brand: BC Coilovers V1 version

Equipped to(model): ZRE152R

price: 1200 + installation

customer service: Good

installation: Bolt on

cornering/handling: Significantly better than stock/springs. Decent enough on track for a ZRE

ride/stiffness: can't comment really, I'm use to mine on 24, have been told it's too hard for daily.. :P

pro's: price, does an excellent job

cons: n/a

other observations: rears are pretty low, yet they are on the highest setting! :D :D

general lifespan: still going strong.

Brand: Tein Basic Compact

Equipped to(model): NCP91R

price: $600

customer service: Bought privately, fitted myself

installation: direct bolt in

cornering/handling: much more level cornering, feels like a go kart

ride/stiffness: very hard, not too boundy

pro's: cheap, super flat cornering

cons: wish it could go another inch lower at the front

other observations: n/a

general lifespan: ~20,000kms so far, still perfect

One thing about the comparisons, don't try to buy too much into the experiences of people firstly. I'm not saying that they're not giving you accurate information etc, for all I know they can be spot on, but unless you know their preferences and personal tolerances, it won't help you much at all. Something that is comfy or 'firm' could translate for you being stiff, crashy, painful, untolerable etc.

Also careful when you're looking at the Honda boys n gals reviews, the setup between different suspension layouts has a markedly different impact when you start playing around aftermarket parts. Toyota majority are Macphersion or Simple strut from memory (Unless you have Superslut then I feel sorry for you).

I had TRD SuperSlut Coilovers rated 8k/6k and they were harsher than the Toda ones I had on my old EG, same 8k/6k spring rating, I suspect the damper quality of the Toda is superior but its also noted the SuperSlut don't give the feedback I came to appreciate from the Double Wishbone. I converted to the Macpherson after my Superslut started to give me the death knocks... This was my first Macpherson sussy equipped car so I wasn't too sure what spec... So I decided a little more conservative approach and elected for JIC FLT-TAR Coilovers with 7k/5k... I knew Macpherson was inferior but hell it was harsher than any of my previous street setups =| It was well within my tolerance (force exerted on me wise) but the handling suffered.

Basically the Macpherson sussy, you will feel every bit of the Xk rating and it will be as harsh as it sounds. Thats why I could never understand why my friends with Macpherson/Simple Strut called me insane with 12k/8k on my EG hahaha...

Also on coilovers... Most Japanese Coilovers use linear dampers which are typically give you underdampened feel and harsh/jarring ride where European brands use digressive pistons tech so it'll provide you firm but comfy and confident steering on any surface so you can brake or accelerate on any patch as hard as you like. Won't happen with your average JDM coilover...

Edited by DreadAngel

• 2 weeks later...

Brand: BC Coilovers RA Type. with fronts camber adjustable.

Equipped to(model): ZRE152

price: $1299 + $350 installation

Supplier & Installer: MRC Dyno in Castle Hill, Sydney

customer service: Good

installation: Bolt on

cornering/handling: Massive improvement. Able to take corners faster and maintaining grip. They are meant for track use anyways.definitely feels like you have more control

ride/stiffness: Have it on 15 all round. Not too bad atm I'm used to much higher setting from back in the days but can say it is much stiffer than stock. Can even notice it from going over the simplest of humps

pro's: price, ride height

cons: none so far

other observations: like Peter (dwee) said, the rears sit LOW. If you check my thread the rears are on the highest setting :)

general lifespan: only been 200kms. So far so good

Equipped to(model): camry 2003 sportivo

customer service: very good

cornering/handling: good handling

ride/stiffness: a bit soft, comfortable as factory shocks when adjust the dampering to soft. Hard after 26

pro's: comfortable, adjustable height & dampering, good for street use in Australia, 2 years warranty( anything wrong with free replacement)

cons: limited height adjusted, need to change spring rates to lower more for front. The kit does not have any camber adjustment.

other obvseration: high cost - spend a couple of hundred more, u can get the tein or other better brand

general lifespan: 1.5 years, no cost for full replaceing 1 front noise shock

May i add that you can buy the pillowball top camber plates for the fronts to add onto these, you can also purchase them seperate so you can add them onto any kit that runs a standard style strut top as they are a direct repacement,

• 3 months later...

Brand: http://ceikaperformance.com/Custom-Built-Coilovers-c10/ CEIKA/ Cedric's Custom Coilovers

Equipped to(model): Celica ST162

price: $1080 +- depending on "additional features" {cheapest delivered set $970}

customer service: Excellent! ask him anything {specially with ST16* [he has ST165]}

installation: Direct bolt in replacements

cornering/handling: Absoloutly awesome! so agile and responsive, I do many 'hill climbs' generally speaking Quicker speeds & Heaps more traction!

ride/stiffness: {I got STD spec spring rates} meaning very 'cruisy' still stiff as in park{cannot jump on the car and see any bounce whatsoever} but rides exceptionally!!!

pro's: PRICE!! camber&pillow tops all round, Dual springs, 24 clik dampener adjustment, height adjustment without having to take the out{or undoing any bolts} adjustable 'pre-load'..

Can spec too however requested.. steel/alloy{optional, steel i have o course} Adjustable torsion bar mounts, custom spec valving ratio's

cons: Havent found any as yet

other observations: Easily repaired/modified as all parts/peices are available

general lifespan: havent had them long, so cannot really say as yet.. though I fail to 'see' any weak spots.. {will update as time progresses..}

Still going Strong still havent looked back was best handling upgrade EVER.

Edited by Vlad

Equipped to(model): corolla zre

customer service: depends which shop you are installing

installation: need to buy extension cord for rear damper adjustment, quite convenient

cornering/handling: coupled with rear sway bar, it is excellent,check my signature for track usage

ride/stiffness: very comfortable and soft at softest setting. Starting from 20 to 30, it is undrivable on the street, too much wheelspins in little bump on the street, stomach also getting upset.

On the track, they perform excellent when setting to hardest (30). The spring rate is only 4kg all round

pro's: comfortable on the street, hard on the track, australia made with warranty

other obvseration: high cost

general lifespan: unknown

Edited by ben yip

• 2 months later...

Brand : BC B R
Equipped to(model) : 2003 ACV36 Camry Altise
Price: $1280
Customer service: said to be next day delivery but had no stock, got it in a week so s'all good
Installation: Fairly basic im guessing, got mine installed for free...
Cornering/Handling: pretty good, could be better
Ride/Stiffness: spring rates of 4/2 goes up to 32 clicks, full stiff = fully bouncy, pretty good for daily
Pro's: *to be continued*
Cons: instructions come in chinese/japanese/taiwanese or something, i cant understand it lol, also ACV30 does not = ACV36, completely different
Other observations: seems to have camber tops,
General lifespan: no clue

Brand: MRP/STD

Equipped to(model): AE82

price: $950 landed, Installation price FREE! because DIY

customer service: had a few installation issues which needed to be fixed. Sent the parts i needed right away

installation: as above. things were fixed very quickly and i was able to sort it all out with minimal drama. Customer support is top notch!

cornering/handling: Best handling car ive ever been in (no bias)

ride/stiffness: make sure you empty your bladder before you go. With stiff sidewall tyres its pretty rough, but with daily soft tyres its quite comfortable.

I think that theyre a bit soft for track use and that the shock valving isnt the best, but still very very good. Springs are 6F/4R kg

pro's: comfy on daily tyres, turns corners faster than lightning, lots of height adjustment and camber adjustment range.

cons: Needs more shock settings, for 6/4 setup it is very stiff

other obvseration: theyre blue, and i still need to get a wheel alignment

general lifespan: unknown

I am thinking of upgrading them to a better brand that i have heard heaps of good things about, but i need to fix other stuff first :P

Edited by 4ABHGE