Weapon-R Ram Air Intake on a TRD

GDUBB

Direct fit or did it require some "hacking" so to speak?

Im sorry.. But that sound is in the way of the Supercharger.. I'd rather leave it stock.. No offence.

What sound? The truck idling sound.... cause that's just how these things sound.

What sound? The truck idling sound.... cause that's just how these things sound.

Not the idling sound. The intake when revs..

Sounds good, but its hard to get a decent indication of the 'real' sound without loading it up.

Knowing what D's sounds like under load, I bet yours sounds just as good.

Direct fit or did it require some "hacking" so to speak?

Pretty much a direct fit. Oddly, the support bolt threaded into the bolt hole just to the left of the build number plate, connecting strap I turned up and fixed it under the last hose clamp before the pod filter. Besides the awkward positioning of the sensor and vacuum hose, it's a good fit. No cutting required.

Sounds good, but its hard to get a decent indication of the 'real' sound without loading it up.

Knowing what D's sounds like under load, I bet yours sounds just as good.

Will do a zero to 100 run video today or tomorrow to capture the 'real sound' from the cockpit. Maybe I can get the missus to film from outside the car too.

I personaly don't like the look, it seems sorta out of place :\

That's what you get if you don't opt for a custom build. These damn TRD's have the throttle body facing differently to the standard Aurion, and with nil aftermarket support... gotta do what you gotta do.

The sound seems about right for the TRD. I guess looks can come second since everyone isn't looking in the engine bay when you drive by.

Sounds throaty! i hope you were driving streight to a petrol station!

But i was listening to Vic's car the other day it seems to sound even throatier, more gurgle if you know what i mean. Does the charger make it idle a little higher then NA version?

But i was listening to Vic's car the other day it seems to sound even throatier, more gurgle if you know what i mean.

That would be correct. The N/A Aurion has a much deeper induction sound because the only thing (if you exclude the minor intake components) between the pod filter is all the pipework up to the valves of the engine. On the TRD, the sound from the engine gets muffled by the rotors of the supercharger and the actual construction of the supercharger itself.

Does the charger make it idle a little higher then NA version?

On idle, the supercharger is bypassed so without having to "push" much air (as it's being bypassed), the load to drive the supercharger at idle is quite small and as a result, the TRD idles at pretty much the same RPM as the N/A Aurion.

• 2 weeks later...

GDubb,

I recommend only changing out that air filter to a more, non-restrictive unit. Personally, I've always thought WeaponR makes great intakes but their air filters will hinder your car's performance.

Oh and btw: PLEASE be careful and check that your air/fuel ratios are in check with that air filter. I did a write-up specifically on this intake on a RAV4 and the before and after results of changing the air filter here--->

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/77848-dyno-results-weaponr-dragon-intake-air-filter-vs-sb-air-filter.html

I know it is RAV4 specific. Take it with a grain of salt and do your own testing if needed. This is just something to refer to rather than starting at ground zero. Kudo to be different though and I'm glad you like the intake.

BTW: Hello DJKor! Long time no see. :spiteful:

Edited by Myxalplyx

• 8 months later...

hey, how did u install this air intake? i want get one of this too.. its being long times i was looking for some aftermarkets air intake parts to replace my stander air intake for my ARUION TRD. thank u