Hyundai - Anyone

HYUNDAI ACCENT SR

HYUNDAI’S third-generation Accent made its world debut at the New York motor show in April and goes on sale here

late this year. Now the South Korean giant has bolstered its all-new small car’s image by revealing a three-door turbo

concept dubbed Accent SR.

Barely recognisable in body-adorned, three-door guise, the SR demonstrates the performance potential of

the new Accent by adding turbocharged performance, a tweaked chassis and go-fast looks.

Accent SR features new front, rear and roof spoilers, side skirts, extended wheel arches, twin

exhaust outlets, a bold shoulder crease, side air intakes and new headlight clusters.

A lower and wider version of the new Accent’s MacPherson strut front and new torsion

beam rear suspension and 18-inch alloy wheels with 225/40-section tyres further toughen

its appearance.

Inside, there is leather trim, aluminium pedals, a wraparound fascia (with eight-inch

multimedia screen) and, for the fi rst time in an Accent, side airbags.

Under the SR’s bonnet is a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine with

undisclosed performance, mated to a fi ve-speed automatic transmission.

Interestingly, Hyundai says the SR’s ESP stability control, motor-driven power steering

(MDPS) and tyre pressure monitoring (TPMS) systems “will almost certainly be carried

over to the incoming new model range at various trim levels”.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

6.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

Under the SR’s bonnet is a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine with

undisclosed performance, mated to a five-speed automatic transmission.

undisclosed? :( that was the bit of detail i was interested in...

It'd be interesting to see what price these things go for once they're under production. From a looks perspective, similar to the the ford focus on the side and civic type r from behind.

Yeah, but its a hyundai, the turbo charger will probably fall of the car if you hit over a certain number of revs (after the warranty has ended)

Funnily enough when I had my first car which was a Hyundai Excel. I never had any issues with it at all. Drove it to GOR a few times and drove it hard around the city everyday and I neer had it breakdown on me at all.

If it's a 2 litre engine it will most probably be the elantra 105kw 2 litre with the turbo added. I imagine the output to be somewhere around the 150kw mark to compete with the Astra etc.

Yeah, but its a hyundai, the turbo charger will probably fall of the car if you hit over a certain number of revs (after the warranty has ended)

That's such an unfounded statement to say the least. It may have been the case back in the 'excel' times, but Hyundai is extremely reliable these days as proven by reliability surveys conducted.

I actually don't mind the look of it, and as E-Gene said, the other Hyundais aren't really that bad. My preference is that I just don't like the feel of the car, and I am not talking about performance/dravability.

To me the Hyundai's all feel too plasticy, doors feel hollow, seats feel cheap...you get the idea.

If this turbo is a new quality of Hyundai, then I am afraid that we all need to maybe respect it because if our buddies at TNC are not producing any more Sportivo's then we will all need to be looking for a new car one day and this may just be it...

I would be interested in seeing the output performance, and actually seeing the car in the flesh. I don't mind what the interior looks like either.

Any word on iff the car is actually going to make to OZ....

Yeah - I too would like to see the cost.

Lets not forget how much the Corolla Sportivo was bagged out in the begining.

Im quite intrigued to see how this vehicle performs and I LOVE the dash :). Its going to have to be one special vehicle to change my mind though, my next car is a convertible Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper upgrade kit :).

You know, those don't look like real shots to me. IN fact they look like artist conceptions... most of the concept stuff never makes it to full development (just like the super camry we talked about a few weeks ago)

You know, those don't look like real shots to me. IN fact they look like artist conceptions... most of the concept stuff never makes it to full development (just like the super camry we talked about a few weeks ago)

They are going on sale in the U.S in a few months. Those photos were at the New York motor show of the actual vehicle going on sale, not the concept model.

Those last two pictures were computer images, but the real thing is almost exactly the same. if not, it is the same.

Don't forget that Hyundai offer a full 5 year warranty across the range - compared with Toyota's pissy 3 years. They wouldn't be able to do this without a quality product.

My wife has a 2001 Elantra, and it's a great package for 20K (the new upspec models have even more torque and optional leather). As opposed to me 'ol mum's previous Excel, the quality of the Elantra is at another level, and I have no problem with the weight or feel of the doors, seats or anything else. It's no sporty runabout, but how many of your wives or gf's are out looking for runs late at night? Mine's certainly not - she's more interested in the radio working and the seats being comfortable than whether or not the car has ABS.

Anyway, that car looks awesome for a 3 door and if produced, I would imagine it would be squarely in the Sportivo's ballpark at 30-35K. Hell, if they make it a 4wd I'll sign up now...

Don't like Hyundai do you?????

As mentioned, I dun mind it and like Carlos said, things fall of other cars all the time. Just look at what has happened to my Sportivo over the past week.

Anyway, it will probably be really good for Hyundai as a company if this vehicle launches well (both sales and off the line :P ) and even if I don't get one, I'd be really interested in having a fang in one for comaprison so I can say whether it is crap or not with experience.

i think the only hyundais that were highly desirable were the hyundai WRC and this.

old lantra was nice. don't remember what engine it had but it had a nice torquey feeling.

drove the elantra the other day and apart from initial torque (auto), it was gutless after that. suspension was supple as expected. brakes were spongy. then again its a service loan car so who knows how it's been.

my next car is a convertible Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper upgrade kit :).

Nice :D

Hehehe yeah, the fiance wanted the Cooper S convertible and I expressed concerns that it was not really any more powerful than our current car (Sportivo) so I did some research and told her about the John Cooper upgrade for $9,500 and she said "Well clearly we NEED that upgrade" :). It gives you a bigger intercooler and some other funky stuff it takes the specs out to this:

Power:

210 bhp (154 KW) @ 6950 rpm

Max Torque:

245 Nm @ 4500 revs

Top Speed:

143 mph (230kmh)

0-62mph:

6.6 seconds

50-75 mph:

5.4 seconds (4th gear)

6.7 seconds (5th gear)

I think this is a good step up from the standard :).