Thread Removed.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QLD enjoys a 14.7 cent subsidy on fuel if I remeber correctly.....

Its actually closer to about 8c but the prices are usually inflated so when we buy our fuel after the subsidy, we are on par with the rest of the nation...

Thats what happens when a loser gets re-elected to run the state

• 7 months later...

Hahahaha fantastic.

Don't you love the news segments about how much it's affecting Australian families... I actually heard today that more families are going on welfare and petrol prices are to blame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA! Oh no not another $1/week!!! HAHA! Honestly unless they're using 500L/week it ain't gonna be a big hit for the battlers :D

Where's mickey_tee? He's our resident petrol baron! HAHA I only work @ Caltex, were on call for petrol price changes.

Were actually independent, not teamed with Safeway. 'Milemaker' supplies our petrol including another 20+ Caltex Starshop's in Victoria.

We mostly match the competition in our area, (the big boys) Shell and B.P., not much else to it. Anyone work @ Safeway Caltex, Shell or B.P? maybe share some information on how you're prices work? I'm pretty sure insider information is welcomed! lol

btw filled up on Thursday 17th May for 146.9unleaded (91ULP) in the CBD @ at a 7/11.. I know what you're thinking 7/11 charges heaps, drove down 200metres, Caltex was @ the same price.

filled up 2hrs ago @ Mobil (6000, 95ULP i think) pretty much full tank cost $60. Never cost more than $45 ever!

Edited by shmicko

Where's mickey_tee? He's our resident petrol baron! HAHA I only work @ Caltex, were on call for petrol price changes.

Were actually independent, not teamed with Safeway. 'Milemaker' supplies our petrol including another 20+ Caltex Starshop's in Victoria.

We mostly match the competition in our area, (the big boys) Shell and B.P., not much else to it. Anyone work @ Safeway Caltex, Shell or B.P? maybe share some information on how you're prices work? I'm pretty sure insider information is welcomed! lol

btw filled up on Thursday 17th May for 146.9unleaded (91ULP) in the CBD @ at a 7/11.. I know what you're thinking 7/11 charges heaps, drove down 200metres, Caltex was @ the same price.

filled up 2hrs ago @ Mobil (6000, 95ULP i think) pretty much full tank cost $60. Never cost more than $45 ever!

I'm micky's brother, we're independent too. The only reason our price varies is because of the wholesale price, we don't just bump in up arbitrarilly as some consumers seem to think. Crude is now topping US$70/barrel :help::blink:

It’s all because of supply issues in the US. Hmmm maybe they should reinvest their ever increasing profits in to maintenance of the refineries.

The thing is when other things are in short supply because of breakdowns the price does not go up. I know there is supply and demand but if baked beans go up because SPC does not do maintenance then no one would buy them. I guess that is the only thing to do cut the use of fuel or target a company.

VIC - In Dandy, the servo's are hanging arounds the 120c mark (taht's with a docket) - not too bad i guess, but i'm hanging around for the $1.00 days!!

$1 days...i remember the $0.80 days when i first started driving, had a 4L ford fairmont and i sure am glad i sold that bush pig (imagine what it would cost to run that p.o.s now)

$1 days...i remember the $0.80 days when i first started driving, had a 4L ford fairmont and i sure am glad i sold that bush pig (imagine what it would cost to run that p.o.s now)

4L Fords - Turning them on cost you $2 on petrol...

$60? my full tank cost about $80. fkn camrys. fkn misses lives other side of city. fk this im going gas converstion.

LMAO! I'm in the same boat as you man, my girlfriend is depreciating the value of my car. Corolla on Gas? lol

Supply issues??

Never fear- Supply Chain logistics uni students to the rescue!! *cough* :nopity:

The Rex drinks petrol like a russian with Vodka - Turbo world is great.

Perth Camry your idea about the baked beans was good, it shows that you are thinking. But remember baked beans have many substitutes (i.e. any other food) whereas oil has no substitutes at this stage (i.e. our cars that run on unleaded cannot be run on vegatable oil. On another note some may argue that LPG is a substitute for petrol, but only in the long run where capital is variable, in the short run if you put LPG in your unleaded car you're staying still lol). Hence if the SPC place breaks down you can just switch to eating canned soup for instance - also in reality there's probably a sh!tload of baked beans already waiting to be sold :D

Carlo saying that oil is a scare resource is closer to the money - that is the whole economic problem; scarcity of resources. However, when we think about oil we say that the demand for oil is not price sensitive. That is, the same quantity will be demanded no matter the price - so it follows that the demand for oil is relatively inelastic. Think about it, Whether it's $1/L or $2/L you still need the same quantity to get to work everyday, and because there are no substitutes you either have to buy it or you reach a stage where you take your push bike (Marginal cost > Marginal Benefit). That's just you as an individual though - you might stop using petrol and ride your bike everyday but what effect do you have on the global demand? Think about the industries that rely on oil. Airlines, freight etc. They can't chuck the cargo on a pushie and send it to Mexico can they? They have no choice than to pay the market price, hence global demand will be in the same ball park whether the price is high or low.

Where is this going? Well as much as people b!tch and moan about it, they really have no choice. You buy it or you don't. If the price is too high for you, don't buy it, but bigger players in the game don't have any substitutes and they'll be paying whatever price it takes.

What's with the government excise tax? Why so high? I'm pretty sure it's because taxes on goods with relatively inelastic demand reap lower levels of social cost (deadweight loss) than taxes on those goods with more elastic demand... but you'll need a diagram and a few coloured pens to work that out. Just trust me. That's the same reason why cigarettes are taxed so heavily.

I think Pippy probably knows more about this than me, I think he's an economics graduate... I'm just a student.

The bottom line is the everyday joe who you hear b!tching or the people who ring up the ACCC to complain or the untrustworthy woman on Today Tonight or the people who stand in front of me when I'm serving them at the counter and want to tell me that the price should be lower... Really don't have any right to be talking about something so complicated

(Also I didn't mention Oligopoly which may also have some sort of influence here - there are few sellers and many buyers of this scarce resource... who has the power? Not the consumer)

Edited by Tayles

I just sold my sportivo and use to fill up no more then $45 a week for seven day usage. Currently commuting in a CRV and that cost me $60 a week for weekdays only and also no lift!! So $15 a week translate to about $800 a year....

But to be honest petrol is too cheap when you think about it already, I know people are complaining but the cost that is required to process crude oil into its multitude of products is not that low at all. Petrol companies are making alot of profit, but thats because of the volume at which they sell it. They don't need a big margin to make alot of money.

i use to drive a ford falcon EF on gas to save a few bucks and sold my supercharged ae82 corolla...

big mistake, i would prefer to drive the lil reliable corolla running 14psi and about $80 on petrol a week than drive a lemon of a wagon falcon on gas and pay about $70 on gas/petrol.

since i sold the corolla i ended up buying a lancer gsr (1.8l 4wd turbo) and very happy with it even when im paying $1.50pl for 98ron.

dont get me wrong, gas(LPG) is awesome, but a gas injection is way more better than dual fuel (tested my dads gas injection BA falcon vs my dual fuel EF falcon).