Thread Removed.

Petrol is a finite resource so it's only going to get more expensive as time goes on. Forget about it ever going back to a $1/L or below, we need to learn to live with it, the same way the europeans have ( who currently pay around the 1.35 EURO

Compared to other parts of the world, we're still quite cheap.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is interesting that they are blaming Hurricane Rita (the second one that hit) for more oil price increases when the on;ly oil infratructure affected by this one is the refineries that supply petrol to Texas ;)

This indicates to me that they are now clearly profiteering as you can not tell me that Texas and the surrounding areas draw that much demand for petrol that the worldwide prices have to rise because of it....

Just like they are blaming Iran for its nuclear program for the recent rise....

how has iran affected the supply of petrol in the world???

can anyone explain this???

price should be determined by supply and demand.....i dont see the supply being affected in any way...has the demand for it risen?

I think of lot of it is probably scaremongering by the oil companies to drive their own pricing up. If they can create a demand, they can set a price.

The articles at the start of this post which state that fuel was to reach $1.35 or even $2.00 never happened. Why? Because after 2 days of articles like that, people start to ignore it and when the hype goes away then the alledged price rises never happen.

As mentioned, the dayss of <$1.00 per liter are over, but the rises in pricing should not be heading to $2.00 in a hurry unless we all go stir crazy over it...

Just search for the lowest price each time you need to fill up, then use your fuel dockets... :P

Just like they are blaming Iran for its nuclear program for the recent rise....

how has iran affected the supply of petrol in the world???

can anyone explain this???

price should be determined by supply and demand.....i dont see the supply being affected in any way...has the demand for it risen?

Because they create a fear of another war, only this time that yanks are spewin cause the enemy is known to have nukes and they are just pist cause someone else has them too and they have actually picked a fight with someone with weapons (that are located)... :P

If another war breaks out with the threat of nukes being used, then it will be a scab-grab for fuel all over the world....

Another war wont break out...

america hasnt got enough troops to send to iraq....they are still trying to sort iraq out

where are they going to get the troops to send to iran???

Like we say in my language....."malakies"

Another war wont break out...

america hasnt got enough troops to send to iraq....they are still trying to sort iraq out

where are they going to get the troops to send to iran???

Like we say in my language....."malakies"

They are getting teenage kids to join. That's why they made the game America's Army...to get kids to recruit lol. Sick isn't it?

Beyond petrol hysteria

Thursday Apr 13 10:00 AEST

OPINION

By Ross Greenwood

National Nine News

Finance Editor

It's high time the myths about petrol prices in this country were exploded. A huge scare campaign emerged in the lead-up to Easter as fuel in most capital cities jumped beyond $1.30 a litre.

The pure reason for the increase in petrol is the rising oil price and a falling dollar.

The hysteria that Australians whip themselves into over petrol prices is beyond belief. The panic attack should only be listened to by those who are very heavy fuel users or those who are very weak at basic mathematics.

Australian petrol is not expensive in global terms and frankly, the price increases are not costly compared with the things you should really be concerned about — taxes and interest rates.

Here are the sums.

Take one standard four-litre Ford Falcon. It's cost: $34,000 without accessories. On average it depreciates about 30 percent in its first year — close to $200 a week.

The Falcon has a tank capacity of 68 litres. To fill it at $1.15 a litre costs $78.20. To fill it at $1.40 (and remember, the "extreme" prices are now around $1.30) is $95.20. The difference: $17.

So multiply $17 by 52 to work out the annual increase — $884, assuming you drain the tank each and every week or the year.

But do you really use a full tank of petrol every week?

Take a more typical scenario, where a person drives 50 kilometres every day to and from work, plus an extra 150 kilometres on the weekend (I consider these allowances to be generous).

Based on the stated fuel consumption of the car (10.2 litres for every 100 kilometres), the increase in the price of petrol (to $1.40 a litre) adds $10.21 per week to this typical family's budget — around $530 per year.

Should this be enough to stop us spending at the shops and send us on an austerity drive? Absolutely not. The average person is paid $1029.50 per week, or $53,534 (source: ABS). Last year the average pay rise was 5.5 percent, or $2944 (pre-tax).

Despite higher fuel prices, inflation peaked at three percent in the past year, meaning, in real terms, wages continue to grow and increase your spending power. This is despite the flow-on effect of fuel into everyday items because of higher plastics, chemicals and transport costs. Then again, the high dollar in the past year has made imported goods even cheaper, which has kept inflation down.

Is the point becoming clearer? Well, just to give you one more point…

In June last year, Australians on average wages were given a one-off tax cut of $6 a week, or $312 a year, which ignores large increases in family allowances and carer's payments made in the 2005-06 federal budget. In other words, the impact of petrol prices for most is less relevant to your overall budget than you imagine.

The problem with petrol is that most people pay for it out of their own pocket, which merely makes it seem more expensive. By comparison, interest rate increases and rising taxes have the potential to take a much larger chunk of your wealth and lifestyle away, which is a separate subject.

In short, don't join the hysterical masses when it comes to petrol. Most people can easily afford these prices.

I see it like this. WHen I first bought my 2000 Corolla in 2000, I was using the bast part of a tank of fuel each week. A 50L tank at the then prices of approx 90c/p equals around $45.00 per litre.

If I was to still be in that particular car now, at 129.9 which is what the Brissy price is this afternoon, my trusty Levin would drink about $65.00 - an increas of $20.00 over 6 years.

Considering my standard payrises have been approx $30.00 per week over this time, you could safely say that the price of petrol has not really increased too dramatically over the past 6 years.

However, when I bought my Sportivo in 2004, a 60L tank at the then approx price of 105.9c/l would mean that the Sportivo would cycle through about $65.00 per week. Although the tank is 10L bigger, it is infact a little less economical than the trusty 7-AFE the Levin had.

This arvo's price of 129.9c/l means that to fill my car tonight means it will cost me around $77.00. Again, being the amount of payrises I have been getting, this too is not drastic.

Where it does annoy me, is the weekly fluctuations. The service station I fill up at, fluctuated this week from a low of 111.9 to a high of 129.9. THis equates 18c/l difference over a couple of days or $2.00 over the tank. Now I am not that tight that $2.00 is going to break me, but thats $104.00 per year, that that the fuel companies potentially fleece me of that I deem unnessesary.

They estimate approx 15,000,000 cars on the road in Australia (not including trucks and buses). Lets consertivly estimate that half of these vehicles (7,500,000) got fleeced and extra $104.00 per year for 'weekly cycles', then I estimate that the fuel companies are pocketing an extra $780,000,000.00

Do the fuel companies really expect us to believe that weekly fuel cycles are essential.

I just think it is strange that they use the fact that fuel is a commodity that has supply/demand pricing to justify weekly cycles. So does fruit, vegetables, seafood, meat, and a host of other consumer products, but I have never seen Coles or Woolies churn through weekly cycles.....

I never expect oil pricing to reduce, as 1ZZ-FE stated, it is a finite commodity, however it is the blatent rorts of fuel cycles and holiday increases that get me beat.

As also mentioned, we pay heaps less than some other countries. In the UK at the moment, Regular unleaded costs aroun 90.0p per litre or around $2.40 per litre....

Suddenly $1.20 looks cheap

Ponder that....

To Azza,

The petrol tank in the 1z is 55L where the 2z is 60L

90c/L x 55L = $49.50

1.29c/l x 55L = $70.95

This an increase of $20 a week or $1040 per year. This may be fine for you but when you have a mortage & kids I'm sure your opinion will change.

This is fine if the only expense you have is fuel but unfortunatley I have other expense's that are affected by fuel prices, such as food. One thing you may want to note is that the price of Deisel has gone through the roof. Were it used to be a cheap alternative to Petrol it is now considerably more expensive which is driving transportation cost up. Also something else you might like to think about is that not everyone gets a pay rise of $30 dollars a week every year & you may not always get one either & not everyone drives a Corolla as once again when you have kids you'll realise the Corolla aint quite big enough, so imagine if that increase was more like $40 or $50 dollars a week.

To Redliner,

The average wage may be $1029 a week but this is not the Median & therefore is not a true figure to represent what most Australians earn.

Also the dollar is actually stronger at the moment that it has been for many years.

Maybe you should try moving out of Mum & Dad's place & see how expensive life really is as I can assure you that petrol pricing does make a difference to my budget.

For all those peolpe who do less than 50kms a day driving to & from work you should think yourselves lucky as I know a lot of people in Sydney do alot more k's than that & a lot of it is spent idling in traffic. Also you cannot compare prices of fuel in Europe to Australia as the people in these regions generally do not do as many km's as Australians on a day to day basis.

I think the point people are making is that things could be much worse than they are, that's all. Besides, we can moan and groan all we want, the media can blow it up all they want, but its not going to change anything, because no-one in a position of power is prepared to help, whether it be for financial or political reasons (excuses).

The reason my wife and I bought our wagon is because we were making a long-term decision and we know that petrol never reduces in price, so we needed something spacious that wouldn't break the bank at fill-up time. I know not everyone wants to drive a wagon, but it gives us all the benefits of a regular Corolla, with plenty of space for a family. And for a wagon, the Corolla isn't a bad-looking vehicle, to us at least!

Just one rebuttal for you, though ... you don't think that people in London, Paris or any other big European centre wouldn't travel as much as your average Sydney or Melbourne resident? I know that not everyone has a lot of respect for most of what car magazines have to say, but I can't help but notice how often some of the Euro-based journos comment when they return to Australia and cruise around in a Falcon or Commodore for far less money than the little buzz box they drive when they're OS!

I just wish I could afford a Prius ...

post removed

I have recently started a new job and i drive 220kms PER DAY. I live in Shellharbour and now work in Liverpool. It costs me $150 PER WEEK for petrol thats $600 per month! Plus maintenace costs etc it really stacks up!! Most people think i am nuts but i had to do this for the sake of my career.

However in the Illawarra region, recent statistics show 15,000 people commuting by car to Sydney to work each day so i am sure i am not alone.

I totally believe our government and the corporate leaders are rorting us of our hard earned money. I am an avergae income earner (for those that don't know i am a Registered Nurse) so i tell you i definitely can feel the pinch when petrol prices rises like that. It is not just petrol prices i am very sussed about, it is inflation with the costs of all our basic neccessities rising like food, insurance etc etc.. and just to let yous know Nurses' salaries have only risen approx 12% in the last 10years thanks to our union's vigorous fight, but compare to housing prices, petrol prices and inflation, they have all risen by approx 100%!!

I think i have the right to ask for a change of government which i have been trying for the past 2 elections. John Howard's kids are not the ones working their a.s.s.e.s off in our hospitals, they are not the ones fighting "terrorists" in Iraq, their government don't give a rat's a.s.s. about low-average income earners, so long as he keeps corporate leaders and overseas investors happy. It's a sad downside of capitalism unfortnately.

But i think we should count ourselves lucky having John Howard, its a blessing compared to the yanks having a sickening idiot like George Bush <_<

Edited by ZEEROLLA

i just drove past my local seven-eleven, and they are selling petrol for 125.9c/L!!!!!!

i'm going to fill up in the morning... some of you will be against the idea for filling up for seven-eleven petrol, but it cant be that bad, and for that price its worth it...

"When you see petrol prices like that, I mean, it's bad. You know. It's really bad. Especially for motorists." - Peter Costello this morning on Ten News.

THEY'RE BAD!?!?!? OH I THOUGHT THEY WERE GOOD! "ESPECIALLY FOR MOTORISTS!"

No **** Costello. What a farking idiot. Hate to think this guy is going to be PM soon.

post removed

Why???

To Azza,

90c/L x 55L = $49.50

1.29c/l x 55L = $70.95

This an increase of $20 a week or $1040 per year. This may be fine for you but when you have a mortage & kids I'm sure your opinion will change.

This is fine if the only expense you have is fuel but unfortunatley I have other expense's that are affected by fuel prices, such as food. One thing you may want to note is that the price of Deisel has gone through the roof. Were it used to be a cheap alternative to Petrol it is now considerably more expensive which is driving transportation cost up. Also something else you might like to think about is that not everyone gets a pay rise of $30 dollars a week every year & you may not always get one either & not everyone drives a Corolla as once again when you have kids you'll realise the Corolla aint quite big enough, so imagine if that increase was more like $40 or $50 dollars a week.

To Redliner,

The average wage may be $1029 a week but this is not the Median & therefore is not a true figure to represent what most Australians earn.

Also the dollar is actually stronger at the moment that it has been for many years.

Maybe you should try moving out of Mum & Dad's place & see how expensive life really is as I can assure you that petrol pricing does make a difference to my budget.

For all those peolpe who do less than 50kms a day driving to & from work you should think yourselves lucky as I know a lot of people in Sydney do alot more k's than that & a lot of it is spent idling in traffic. Also you cannot compare prices of fuel in Europe to Australia as the people in these regions generally do not do as many km's as Australians on a day to day basis.

Firslty to BLKRLA

May I start by saying that I do a 60km round trip to work each day as I live in the outer suburbs of Brisbane and drive to Herston (CBD) each day. I feel this is average for this city and indicative of an average road commute.

I earn a GROSS (Pre-Tax) take home pay of approx $1600.00 per fortnight. This equates to a little over $40K per year. I too feel that this is more an average.

Do I have children? No.

Do I have a mortgage? No

Do we live with parents/In-Laws/Family/Friends? No

Are we trying to save for a home while paying rent? YES

Are we also trying to save to buy a business? YES

My point is that I have a range of other commitments in my life, and fuel costs is one of them. As has been pointed out on many occasions in this thread, we can not do anything about the price going down. This will never happen. Also, we are one of the lowest fuel pricing nations in the world.

So when you mention that you have a mortgage, children and a long distance to drive to work each day and a fuel bill is a major impact on your weekly budget, I have one word - CHOICE! YOU chose to have children, YOU chose to have a mortgage, YOU chose to either take a job that involved a fair commute to work or move further away from it and YOU are the one that will choose to buy a bigger vehicle when the Corolla is not small enough.

Let's not turn this into a bitching session or a pi*ss*ing comp to see who is the most hardest done by, because no one will ever win.

I will say though however, again, the only method I believe in keeping petrol pricing down is to not submit to the scaremongering and tactics by the fuel companies.

I follow one method, I buy fuel when I need to. Not when the newspaper tells me that pricing is going up, or when the fuel companies feel like discounting it, but when my fuel tank gets low.

In my belief if everybody bought fuel like this, then the fuel companies will eventually realise that there is no specific demand for petrol on pay/pension days. Eventually you should see changes.

It may not change the world, but at least I can say that I have tried to do something about it.

I think the point people are making is that things could be much worse than they are, that's all. Besides, we can moan and groan all we want, the media can blow it up all they want, but its not going to change anything, because no-one in a position of power is prepared to help, whether it be for financial or political reasons (excuses).

The reason my wife and I bought our wagon is because we were making a long-term decision and we know that petrol never reduces in price, so we needed something spacious that wouldn't break the bank at fill-up time. I know not everyone wants to drive a wagon, but it gives us all the benefits of a regular Corolla, with plenty of space for a family. And for a wagon, the Corolla isn't a bad-looking vehicle, to us at least!

Just one rebuttal for you, though ... you don't think that people in London, Paris or any other big European centre wouldn't travel as much as your average Sydney or Melbourne resident? I know that not everyone has a lot of respect for most of what car magazines have to say, but I can't help but notice how often some of the Euro-based journos comment when they return to Australia and cruise around in a Falcon or Commodore for far less money than the little buzz box they drive when they're OS!

You are always wise one my fellow round bellied friend :P

I have recently started a new job and i drive 220kms PER DAY. I live in Shellharbour and now work in Liverpool. It costs me $150 PER WEEK for petrol thats $600 per month! Plus maintenace costs etc it really stacks up!! Most people think i am nuts but i had to do this for the sake of my career.

However in the Illawarra region, recent statistics show 15,000 people commuting by car to Sydney to work each day so i am sure i am not alone.

I totally believe our government and the corporate leaders are rorting us of our hard earned money. I am an avergae income earner (for those that don't know i am a Registered Nurse) so i tell you i definitely can feel the pinch when petrol prices rises like that. It is not just petrol prices i am very sussed about, it is inflation with the costs of all our basic neccessities rising like food, insurance etc etc.. and just to let yous know Nurses' salaries have only risen approx 12% in the last 10years thanks to our union's vigorous fight, but compare to housing prices, petrol prices and inflation, they have all risen by approx 100%!!

I think i have the right to ask for a change of government which i have been trying for the past 2 elections. John Howard's kids are not the ones working their a.s.s.e.s off in our hospitals, they are not the ones fighting "terrorists" in Iraq, their government don't give a rat's a.s.s. about low-average income earners, so long as he keeps corporate leaders and overseas investors happy. It's a sad downside of capitalism unfortnately.

But i think we should count ourselves lucky having John Howard, its a blessing compared to the yanks having a sickening idiot like George Bush <_<

Zee, I work in a hospital and see what Nurses put up with and do so I take my hat off to you.

Hello I'm in the states, also a newcomer to this site. Gas prices rose from $2.44 american to $2.89 a gallon in a week. It is expected to go over $3.00 a gallon soon. It's funny cuase I see many people in large trucks and SUV's driving speeding like there is no tommorrow then they complain about gas prices.

There are alot of people here in Australia that are still running around in large 4WD's and SUV style vehicles aswell. More commonly known as Tookak Tractors :P

Maybe they either do not care about the fuel pricing or have a genuine need for that size vehicle.

BTW - Welcome bobsbase04

Edited by Azza

post removed

Why???

To Azza,

90c/L x 55L = $49.50

1.29c/l x 55L = $70.95

To Redliner,

Firslty to BLKRLA

May I start by saying that I do a 60km round trip to work each day as I live in the outer suburbs of Brisbane and drive to Herston (CBD) each day. I feel this is average for this city and indicative of an average road commute.

I earn a GROSS (Pre-Tax) take home pay of approx $1600.00 per fortnight. This equates to a little over $40K per year. I too feel that this is more an average.

Do I have children? No.

Do I have a mortgage? No

Do we live with parents/In-Laws/Family/Friends? No

Are we trying to save for a home while paying rent? YES

Are we also trying to save to buy a business? YES

My point is that I have a range of other commitments in my life, and fuel costs is one of them. As has been pointed out on many occasions in this thread, we can not do anything about the price going down. This will never happen. Also, we are one of the lowest fuel pricing nations in the world.

So when you mention that you have a mortgage, children and a long distance to drive to work each day and a fuel bill is a major impact on your weekly budget, I have one word - CHOICE! YOU chose to have children, YOU chose to have a mortgage, YOU chose to either take a job that involved a fair commute to work or move further away from it and YOU are the one that will choose to buy a bigger vehicle when the Corolla is not small enough.

Let's not turn this into a bitching session or a pi*ss*ing comp to see who is the most hardest done by, because no one will ever win.

I will say though however, again, the only method I believe in keeping petrol pricing down is to not submit to the scaremongering and tactics by the fuel companies.

I follow one method, I buy fuel when I need to. Not when the newspaper tells me that pricing is going up, or when the fuel companies feel like discounting it, but when my fuel tank gets low.

In my belief if everybody bought fuel like this, then the fuel companies will eventually realise that there is no specific demand for petrol on pay/pension days. Eventually you should see changes.

It may not change the world, but at least I can say that I have tried to do something about it.

You are always wise one my fellow round bellied friend :P

Zee, I work in a hospital and see what Nurses put up with and do so I take my hat off to you.

I removed my post beacuse as you say I didn't want to get into Bitching Session. Everyone is entitled to a point of view & I'm aloud to winge & complain about petrol prices if I like especially when the people in charge don't even pay for there own fuel, probably the same people you see driving 4WD's & other large luxury vehciles. Believe me though I do have an understanding of how fuel pricing is dertermined & I do believe it is unfair. Too many greedy people with their fingers in the pot.

I removed my post beacuse as you say I didn't want to get into Bitching Session. Everyone is entitled to a point of view & I'm aloud to winge & complain about petrol prices if I like especially when the people in charge don't even pay for there own fuel, probably the same people you see driving 4WD's & other large luxury vehciles. Believe me though I do have an understanding of how fuel pricing is dertermined & I do believe it is unfair. Too many greedy people with their fingers in the pot.

Agreed entirely ... your comments are especially true of our upper-most pollies, who get transported to "work" in the back of V8 Statesmans and Fairlanes ... they're too busy reading their (un)popularity polls in the paper to look up and see what the real world has to deal with! <_<

I guess we're just red in the face from complaining ... :(

Hello I'm in the states, also a newcomer to this site. Gas prices rose from $2.44 american to $2.89 a gallon in a week. It is expected to go over $3.00 a gallon soon. It's funny cuase I see many people in large trucks and SUV's driving speeding like there is no tommorrow then they complain about gas prices.

Welcome to the forum mate, from my mobile phone calculations that equates to about AD$1/- for a litre of fuel since 1 gallon is 3.78litres and AD$1/- buying 0.74 US cents. That is pretty good, still 30cents per litre cheaper than we are paying.

We had 135.9 here in Brisbane last night, but they went back down to between 125.0 - 129.9 by this morning though...

Prolly just getting people on their way home from work on Payday... pricks....

More likely they were stinging those that were going back to work after the 2 long weekends. I filled up and payed $1.361/L for Vortex98 with a fuel discount on Tuesday (ANZAC Day) and then yesterday it went up to that price for regular unleaded...