Recommendations for coilover suspension

Okay, so I've been driving my newly acquired '96 Vienta Csi and I'm ready to take it to the next level. My main gripe with the car is that the ride is too soft for my liking. It's comfortable going over potholes and bumpy roads, but when I do quick turns and cornering, it feel like an oil tanker. After forum hopping for a while, it seems that a front strut beam and rear sway bar would make a difference at a lower price point. After doing a little digging and visiting autobarn down in chaddy this afternoon, i realised that Whiteline does not make a front strut beam for the '96 Vienta because there is no clearance above the engine; a real bummer. So i'm posting this hoping get a few more ideas re how i can improve my suspension without blowing a big hole in my pocket. A friend of mine recommended changing the stock suspension to coilovers and that should reduce the need for FSB and RSB.

I don't have a lot of money to spare so if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share them. (if you could provide an estimated cost as well, that will be awesome) thanks! :D

Coilovers will be expensive mate, unless you can find some second hand ones (which I think is unlikely for that car). How many kms has the car done and does it have the original shocks in it?

You could consider just fitting some lowered springs on the stock shocks, and fitting a rear sway bar. You'd be able to do all of that for <$500 if you are able to fit it all yourself and around $800ish if you need to pay someone. You need to bear in mind though that lowering on your original shocks is likely to wear them out quicker. That's why it make sense on an older vehicle to do the shocks as well, but even if you use something cheap like KYB, you'll still push the bill up significantly.

Obviously I'm not sure about your situation, but have you considered upgrading your vehicle rather than spending money on an 18 year old camry? I'd be scouring the second hand market (for suspension I mean) if I was going to drop any money into a car that old.....

Coilovers will be expensive mate, unless you can find some second hand ones (which I think is unlikely for that car). How many kms has the car done and does it have the original shocks in it?

You could consider just fitting some lowered springs on the stock shocks, and fitting a rear sway bar. You'd be able to do all of that for <$500 if you are able to fit it all yourself and around $800ish if you need to pay someone. You need to bear in mind though that lowering on your original shocks is likely to wear them out quicker. That's why it make sense on an older vehicle to do the shocks as well, but even if you use something cheap like KYB, you'll still push the bill up significantly.

Obviously I'm not sure about your situation, but have you considered upgrading your vehicle rather than spending money on an 18 year old camry? I'd be scouring the second hand market (for suspension I mean) if I was going to drop any money into a car that old.....

Thanks for the feedback. Yea. I was definitely considering getting a new vehicle.. I will definitely look into the 2nd hand market for some shocks.

The car has done 134,000kms on stock suspension. How long more do you reckon before the suspension completely wears out and needs replacing?

Edited by tngster

Thanks for the feedback. Yea. I was definitely considering getting a new vehicle.. I will definitely look into the 2nd hand market for some shocks.

The car has done 134,000kms on stock suspension. How long more do you reckon before the suspension completely wears out and needs replacing?

depends on which roads you drive i guess, but east side has good roads im guessing, im on 250xxx on stock shock and springs.

depends on which roads you drive i guess, but east side has good roads im guessing, im on 250xxx on stock shock and springs.

250xxx on your camry altise? I hear squeaking from the back whenever i go over dips and humps. I am guessing that it's from the boot hinges because they squeak heaps when it's being opened. Considering that my camry was grossly underused by it's previous owner (i.e. to the station and back for 3 years + sitting the garage for 1 year), is it possible that the suspension just needs lubricating? If replacing the shocks isn't essential at this moment, then I am considering getting rims and wider tyres for a bit more grip and aesthetics, and a rear sway bar. Thoughts?

Some sports struts (koni/pedders/monroe) and soem springs (Eibach/Kings) will be suitable. No need to go coilovers unless you really want to use the word coilover when talking about what's been doen to the car. If you need camber adjustment you can buy adjustable top mounts or camber bolts. You'll have 90% of what a coilover can do, for a lot less money.

'Manon racing products' make their own coils and also supply fortune autos... best coils for the money hands down.

google or facebook them.

(remember prices are usually in NZD so theyre a lot cheaper than they seem ;) )

Also if you are going stiffer to reduce the need for sway bars youre gonna have to make it stiff as a rock, AFAIK camrys are macphersons aswell, so i would be looking at 14F and 16R kg springs.

Edited by 4ABHGE

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and comments. I'll make a trip down to Pedders this weekend and I'll see what I can come up with :D

Yes, however, there is expensive and then there is Pedders.

It depends what you are comparing with, I had my coilovers, rear sway bar, and front tower bar all supplied and installed (including wheel alignment for $2250 which is pretty reasonable, and certainly cheaper than some of the European brand coilover set ups and even comparable to Koni and Eichman adjustable set-ups. I don't find Pedders to be particularly expensive, and certainly not on quality for price basis. You should take a trip down to Wilkinsons suspension in Perth if you reckon Pedders is expensive

Thank you everyone for your posts and reply. Because of my extremely tight budget, I have decided not to go for coilovers. Instead I will just put a rear sway bar and upgrade my car aesthetically. 17inch rims are the first things on my list. I will just save more money and upgrade to a better platform for modifications... That being said, I'm totally in love with the 3FZ-FE engine..

• 2 weeks later...

Camrys are front wheel drive are they?

Coilovers are the answer and will stop 90% of your sway

I got $3000 Tein Super Streets off treade me in very good condition for $900

There are a number of groups importing direct from Japan now

Expect them to be bumpy for th efirst month, wear out your bushes and struts if they are old already

Im going ack to 15" rims as mine are still too bumpy and limit my driving on country roads

Camrys are front wheel drive are they?

Coilovers are the answer and will stop 90% of your sway

I got $3000 Tein Super Streets off treade me in very good condition for $900

There are a number of groups importing direct from Japan now

Expect them to be bumpy for th efirst month, wear out your bushes and struts if they are old already

Im going ack to 15" rims as mine are still too bumpy and limit my driving on country roads

$900 for second hand coilovers? cool..

My bushes are probably on the way out. I'm expecting to have to replace them in the next six months. In the meantime, I'm saving up my dough and keeping an eye out for parts that I'd put in when it comes down to changing out the bushes and struts.

I'm currently on 16" running on RE001's and it's already a marked improvement.