Jump to content

Suspension upgrade/tyres


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Haha, you're up early Luke. I thought I was the only one lol..

I have been on Michelin Primacy LCs since the start of my ownership and found them to be pretty good. Very quiet too. I think I may be persuaded to try something else as a change and see how they will compare. I'll definitely look into the Turanza. 

Up late in WA 😄

Those are great tyres - probably a risk to go to the Bridgestone's IMO. 

Anyway, sorry for TC (sorry mods, I'll get back on topic 😛). Waiting to contact the Bridgestone service centre (who did the bushings/water pump/belt etc) to see if I can bring in the KYB parts or whether they'll have to order them in. Would normally just find a local mechanic, but they've always done a great job and are very reasonable (obviously depends on who runs the franchise though). 

Will hopefully be back with an update in the coming weeks! Extremely excited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally made the effort and fitted new Sachs struts and King [standard height] springs. As expected, struts were a direct fit with brake and ABS hoses bolting onto the strut brackets.  I did the

Sparesbox have typically been good to deal with and price wise can be a little cheaper than most, but not always. I've found parts from other sellers who were cheaper than them but not much. I don't m

I would say no. The Touring was essentially an ATX with a few more options. The wheel size combo for the ATX and Touring are identical (216/60R16) which doesn't suggest anything special in the suspens

Posted Images

1 hour ago, donnot said:

Those are great tyres - probably a risk to go to the Bridgestone's IMO. 

Why would you say that ? I've had a look over my tyre service records and it looks like I've been back to Bob Jane at roughly 30k intervals.

The very first set of Primacy LCs was a set of 4, then roughly 31k later I rotated the fronts to the back and purchased two new ones for the front. This then gave the whole set time to wear out together. Aurions tend to chew the fronts much quicker than the backs, so this is the strategy I had to employ with the Primacy LCs.

So this current set is now due for replacement as it has been just over 30K since the last two fronts went on.

This is my service history to date:

New set of Primacy LCs purchased at 59447K replacing the original, can't even remember what they were.

Then at 91107, two new fronts purchased and existing fronts moved to the back.

Now at 123,050, which is 31.943K later, the whole set has reached end of life practically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Why would you say that ? I've had a look over my tyre service records and it looks like I've been back to Bob Jane at roughly 30k intervals.

Ouch, 31,000 k's isn't great (I'm sure you treat your tires much more nicely than me 😉). Was mainly going off price and user reviews. The Turanza's have very deep tread (vs other longer-life tyres that use a shallower tread but harder compound), and I have no doubt that the fronts would make it to 30k without rotating. Only paid ~$480 for a set with a 4 wheel rotation (4 for 3).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, donnot said:

Ouch, 31,000 k's isn't great (I'm sure you treat your tires much more nicely than me 😉). Was mainly going off price and user reviews. The Turanza's have very deep tread (vs other longer-life tyres that use a shallower tread but harder compound), and I have no doubt that the fronts would make it to 30k without rotating. Only paid ~$480 for a set with a 4 wheel rotation (4 for 3).

Unfortunately at this time Bridgestone don't have the 4 for 3 offering for the Serenity Plus where I am. I'm also sure this would be nationwide too. I suspect it's due to it's popularity. Why would they discount a hot seller ?? Time to gouge the customer even more...

They have 4 for 3 for the Potenza Adrenalin RE003. Not sure if I want a tyre like that. I suspect it's a soft compound and will wear quickly. What do you reckon ?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Unfortunately at this time Bridgestone don't have the 4 for 3 offering for the Serenity Plus where I am. I'm also sure this would be nationwide too. I suspect it's due to it's popularity. Why would they discount a hot seller ?? Time to gouge the customer even more...

They have 4 for 3 for the Potenza Adrenalin RE003. Not sure if I want a tyre like that. I suspect it's a soft compound and will wear quickly. What do you reckon ?? 

They alternate between the Potenza/Turanza series with 4 for 3. I considered the RE003's, but they weren't on sale at the time and I was worried about the extra noise/reduced lifespan (did a lot of research 😄). I do wonder how it would've turned out with the Potenza's though 😞. Bridgestone has a 30-day return/exchange policy, but it'd be a bit of a PITA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, donnot said:
9 hours ago, donnot said:

They alternate between the Potenza/Turanza series with 4 for 3. I considered the RE003's, but they weren't on sale at the time and I was worried about the extra noise/reduced lifespan (did a lot of research 😄). I do wonder how it would've turned out with the Potenza's though 😞. Bridgestone has a 30-day return/exchange policy, but it'd be a bit of a PITA. 

 

Swing over to this thread Luke so we don't stray too far off topic for your suspension thread. I started a new tyre thread because it's an interesting topic and because I'm on the hunt now for a new set.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 6:20 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

New set of Primacy LCs purchased at 59447K replacing the original, can't even remember what they were.

Then at 91107, two new fronts purchased and existing fronts moved to the back.

Now at 123,050, which is 31.943K later, the whole set has reached end of life practically.

 

On 10/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, donnot said:

Ouch, 31,000 k's isn't great

Just had a re read of my previous response and I was wrong on some points. I have to clarify.

I purchased a full set of Primacy LCs when it was at 59447, then at 91107, I decided to put new fronts on was because the alignment went out and it was kinda late to do another alignment and as a result the left tyre wore prematurely on the outer edge and I was concerned about this. It was then I decided to put two new front tyres and left the rear tyres as they were because they still had plenty tread left. Now, with a good full set, the fronts naturally will wear down a bit quicker than the rears and to get the most out of this set. Then at approximately 110k , I rotated the fronts to the back and backs to the fronts to get more life out of the still chunky rears. Have I confused you a bit more now ? :laugh:

Now I have the rear left tyre chewing the outer edge out and it's practically smooth only on the outer edge. All the other three are still ok with minor dry rot and will easily go another 10-15k, but that left rear will be lucky to see another 3 to 5k. So I think I'll just bit the bullet and just replace the whole set out as this will give me the opportunity to try another version of Michelins.

So overall, these tyres, if wheel alignment is good, will last at least 60k or more. Remember though, even at this point with good tread depth, the age will always catch up as you will see dry rot between the grooves. I'll post my tyre conditions in my tyre thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 3:21 AM, donnot said:

I had Nolathane (poly) lower control arm bushings installed (which are supposed to make the steering feel noticeably harsher) as one of the rubber ones broke when they were installing them. I can barely notice a difference in NVH though

Might be cos your struts are shot. Poly is definitely harder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Might be cos your struts are shot. Poly is definitely harder.

Good point G. I'd be more inclined to keep with the standard rubber bushings to keep the ride nice and smooth. It's not that often bushings need to be replaced anyway. Rubber ones do go the distance if the car isn't driven harshly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 1:42 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I wonder if that strut bar will also fit the 50 series. Anyone have any idea ??

They seem to have released a bar for the 50 series (no photos, though I'd assume it's similar in design): https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-camry-aurion-acv50rgsv50r-11-17-front-strut-bar-2-point/

They also have the rear sway bar for the 50 series (though I'm sure you're aware of that): https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-camry-aurion-acv50rgsv50r-11-17-rear-sway-bar-19mm/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, donnot said:

They seem to have released a bar for the 50 series (no photos, though I'd assume it's similar in design): https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-camry-aurion-acv50rgsv50r-11-17-front-strut-bar-2-point/

They also have the rear sway bar for the 50 series (though I'm sure you're aware of that): https://ultraracingaustralia.com.au/product/t-camry-aurion-acv50rgsv50r-11-17-rear-sway-bar-19mm/

 

Thank you for that Luke. I'll keep an eye on those. Waiting for them to upload a photo of the strut link.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty, booked in for Tuesday! Paying a bit over $200 each for the shocks, but only 2 hours labour (and the peace of mind of genuine shocks vs the cheap eBay ones). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, donnot said:

Alrighty, booked in for Tuesday! Paying a bit over $200 each for the shocks, but only 2 hours labour (and the peace of mind of genuine shocks vs the cheap eBay ones). 

Nice one Luke. Genuine parts do instill a bit of confidence overall, not to say aftermarket is anything less. There are plenty of decent aftermarket manufacturers that offer quality products too. I'd avoid the cheap imports too, most definitely.

Some pics would be great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Nice one Luke. Genuine parts do instill a bit of confidence overall, not to say aftermarket is anything less. There are plenty of decent aftermarket manufacturers that offer quality products too. I'd avoid the cheap imports too, most definitely.

Some pics would be great.

I'm sure the eBay KYB shocks are likely genuine, but there's always the risk when buying from a small private seller (and people talking about it taking months for their orders). Will send pics but can't guarantee they'll be interesting 😆 car might be sitting up a bit higher (which will be good since I'll have a front lower bar coming soon). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone has asked but how are your lower control arm bushings ? Have you had a chance to inspect them ?

When I have my front end off the ground with the suspension fully extended I can see small cracks in the rubber for the lower control arm. Not too bad to warrant any drastic surgery, but I'm keeping an eye on it. I have soaked them with 303 Aerospace to keep them from drying out. I wished I gotten to them earlier. No big deal. If it means new bushings, then I'd be more than happy to replace them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Not sure if anyone has asked but how are your lower control arm bushings ? Have you had a chance to inspect them ?

They are the ones I got replaced with poly's the other day so they look great. They take most of the beating so definitely worth keeping an eye on and aren't too costly.

Still amazed at how the steering feel has changed especially when under load on Poly's but comfort may be another story when the new shocks are in...  

Edited by donnot
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, donnot said:

They are the ones I got replaced with poly's the other day so they look great. They take most of the beating so definitely worth keeping an eye on and aren't too costly.

Still amazed at how the steering feel has changed especially when under load on Poly's but comfort may be another story when the new shocks are in...  

Look forward to the update for sure !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After much thought and research, I'm going to try and get King Springs fitted (30mm drop, i.e. "Low") - hopefully the shop (Bridgestone) will be able to source them (they were able to get KYB shocks in quickly) but I don't think I'll have them done by Tuesday 😞. I feel that the stock springs will still be too comfortable and not as stiff as I'm looking for - don't want to need the shocks taken off again 😆 

Edited by donnot
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, donnot said:

After much thought and research, I'm going to try and get King Springs fitted (30mm drop, i.e. "Low") - hopefully the shop (Bridgestone) will be able to source them (they were able to get KYB shocks in quickly) but I don't think I'll have them done by Tuesday 😞. I feel that the stock springs will still be too comfortable and not as stiff as I'm looking for - don't want to need the shocks taken off again 😆 

It is worth the effort to keep good records. Can I suggest that you consider taking some vehicle ride height measurements before and after replacing the struts and springs.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an update - wasn't able to get King Springs but they managed to source the last set of Pedder's in Aus at the moment (apparently) for tomorrow! Supposedly more comfortable after some research. Anyway, some before stats (thanks @campbeam for the idea):

Front-right ride height (base of tyre to arch): 70cm

Front-left: 70.5cm

Rear-right: 69.5cm

Rear-left: 69.5cm

And some before images: https://imgur.com/a/5S8prrf

Will be back tomorrow with the results!!

Edited by donnot
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update Luke, I hope all goes well with the fitting for you and look forward to the after shots..and man that is one tight garage the beast just fits..I know the feeling well as mine barely fits in ours and very tight down the driveway..you get used to it so not an issue really now as I am used to it

Keep Safe and Good Luck hope you enjoy the feeling of the ride

KAA

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, donnot said:

Just an update - wasn't able to get King Springs but they managed to source the last set of Pedder's in Aus at the moment (apparently) for tomorrow! Supposedly more comfortable after some research. Anyway, some before stats (thanks @campbeam for the idea):

Front-right ride height (base of tyre to arch): 70cm

Front-left: 70.5cm

Rear-right: 69.5cm

Rear-left: 69.5cm

And some before images: https://imgur.com/a/5S8prrf

Will be back tomorrow with the results!!

Thanks also from me Luke for your update. It was a good idea to measure before you get the job done, this way you can compare the difference. Pedders suspension is quite good. I wouldn't worry about quality. They've been around for decades mate. I had pedders suspension on my 1981 XD Falcon and it rode and handled superbly. I realise the two cars are different entirely, but my point is that I'd trust Pedders to deliver a good product.

3 hours ago, KAA said:

man that is one tight garage the beast just fits..I know the feeling well as mine barely fits in ours and very tight down the driveway..

Hahaha, That was the first thing I noticed. There's a cigarette paper in it 😄

At least it fits and you're able to keep it sheltered from the damaging UV rays.

Look forward to the finished product.

Cheers Luke :thumbsup:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

At least it fits and you're able to keep it sheltered from the damaging UV rays.

I wish! Mostly kept outdoors in a semi-shaded area (garage is for the family cars). Paint still looks practically brand new (full credit to Toyota) and I've applied a synthetic wax which supposedly has UV protectant... 

Still having the KYB struts, just Pedders sports springs so it's going to be firm 😄

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, donnot said:

I wish! Mostly kept outdoors in a semi-shaded area (garage is for the family cars).

Oh Bugger !  Semi shade is better than no shade I guess. I get wifey to deploy the windscreen shade to keep the sun off the dash, steering wheel and control stalks. She tends to get lazy sometimes and as a result the indicator stalk on my car has faded (sun damaged) and so I went out and purchased a pair of near new replacement items to replace one day. A towel over the steering wheel does wonders too.

Keep the paint sealed with a quality sealant and it will resist those nasty rays. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, donnot said:

Just an update - wasn't able to get King Springs but they managed to source the last set of Pedder's in Aus at the moment (apparently) for tomorrow!

I suspect that it was more the time factor. The eBay seller that I used back in June did say in the listing that it would involve a special order and it did take a few weeks. 

Interested to hear how you find those Pedders Sports Springs after driving around on them for a few weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • donnot changed the title to Suspension upgrade/tyres

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.






Toyota Owners Club AU © 2020 | This Website has no association with Toyota (AU) or Toyota Motor Corporation. | Cookies | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

×
×
  • Create New...