The mighty Toyota Aurions

Here's a question I think we've all wondered just what is the expected distance can a Toyota Aurion Engine do is 340.000 a million 

I'd like to hear from you all

I guess it depends on the engine, but in saying this, knowing more about the 2GR-FE, it is a robust engine without the frailties of some of the other manufacturers. The only caveat is that you really need to be on top of the maintenance. Do regular oil changes, and I mean regular. Allow the engine to warm up before applying the beans. It's not water temperature that does the damage, it's the oil temperature. You will have ancillary failures like water pumps, alternators etc, big deal, they all do. Just replace them and move on.
Another important point, do not follow the stupid service book guide if you want the engine to last a million kays. 15k service intervals is a death wish.

Also the beauty of the Aurion's V6 is that is never has to be driven hard like a four cylinder. Lower revs will extend the life expectancy for sure. The V6 has plenty of power and torque to propel it off the mark with very little throttle input and this, I think, is a huge bonus for it's longevity. It's a damn shame they stopped making the Aurion. I would've loved to have seen a final incarnation following the 50 series. Perhaps an all new 60 series ?? Imagine that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

" I think, is a huge bonus for it's longevity. It's a damn shame they stopped making the Aurion. I would've loved to have seen a final incarnation following the 50 series. Perhaps an all new 60 series ?? Imagine that."

What Toyota did bless us with is the 70 Series Camry with the updated version of the V6, surprisingly produced out of Japan. Sadly, the inclusion of the V6 is short-lived as Toyota has pulled the plug on it as off the facelifted version, due to the lack of demand. 

I did a browse out of boredom last night and found very few V6 variants, which are going for rather reasonable prices. Brand new, the V6 variants are sold at the dealers for the same, if not less than the RRP marked on the 1st and 2nd gen Aurions. 

Having sat in a V6 SL myself, I must say I am impressed with the furnishings inside and the exterior styling. It makes me wonder if one should even consider the Lexus GS350 which contains essentially the same powertrain at almost double the price.

Having said that, I am happy to stick with my Aurion for now unless I am forced to replace it for whatever reason.

9 hours ago, bens1x said:

Here's a question I think we've all wondered just what is the expected distance can a Toyota Aurion Engine do is 340.000 a million 

I'd like to hear from you all

In a number of previous posts, I have mentioned that I was informed by an ex-employee of a Toyota dealership to expect about 400,000 kms from the 2GR-FE before requiring any significant engine rebuild work. This was when i was thinking that the valve seals might need to be replaced.

If you want reliability and longevity, then regular oil changes using a quality full synthetic engine oil is highly recommended. Because I do mostly short distance urban driving, I am fighting an ongoing oil sludge battle so I do an oil change say every 3 months. 

• Like 1

Absolutely certain that the expression "No replacement for displacement" has been quoted quite a few times. I am very much avoiding high compression turbocharged engines mainly because of perceived/expected maintenance and longevity issues.

Just came across this YouTube video about oil sludge and presenter has made the point about consumers going beyond the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval. Possible solution is to have a shorter oil change interval and making sure that a high quality full synthetic engine oil with the recommended oil viscosity is being used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's so true what the guy in the video said. He stated that even though the manufacturer says it can go to 5,000 miles without an oil change, but when you do this over and over again, the problem will compound and it's  the old adage whereby, you give an inch they will take a mile. So true in that the car owner will then start going over 5K. It will become 5.5K, then 6K, then 6.5K and before you know it, we're watching videos like this because there are engines failing everywhere.

It makes me want to do my oil servicing even earlier now 😜

• Like 1

What the video failed to capture is the type of oil/s the engine circulated during its 18k km life. For all we know, the Ford dealer/s could've used cheap conventional oil in its services. 5,000mi is around 8,000km, which isn't an awfully long interval if quality fully synthetic oils are used. 

On the other hand, a few people in the comments did raise the point that the small displacement engine is over-stressed, which could contribute to oil shearing and sludge formation more readily.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it the general belief that with forced inducted engines, oil is bound to break down more easily than N/A engines? 

My point is two perspectives should be taken on that video, however I do understand it does not hurt to change the oil earlier.

• Like 1

Bigmike here,..

I plan to keep my 40 series presara till it hits 300 thousand, it's sitting on 94,000 ATM.. I'll continue to do 2 penrite 5w30 oil changes a year and see how that goes..

I honestly think this car will easily do 300 thousand..

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth..😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 older Camrys.  One is a 1999 and one is a 2001.  I thinks it is the 20 series.  Both are Touring models with 3.0 litre V6 engine.  I have owned both since 76k km and 81k km respectively.  The 1999 (mine) has 469,941km and my wife has the 2001 at 493,605km.  I always put full synthetic oil in both.  Timing belts is the only engine maintenance ever done.  Of course batteries, starter motor, radiator, alternator etc have been done but the internals still going strong.

I am selling the 1999 and so purchased a 2010 Toyota During Touring today.  It has 99,000 km on it.  One owner with great set of log books.  I will change the oil first thing next week when I pick it up to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.  I just love the Camry Touring series.

My first post. 🙂

Edited by bradp51
  • Like 3

Welcome to the Forum. Nice to have another long term owner onboard. Sound like you have selected a well serviced Aurion.  

If you look at previous posts, you will see that we are keen on regular maintenance with a preference for shorter oil change intervals using a quality full synthetic oil. 

Big advantage of the 2GR-FE engine is that it has a timing chain but it needs to be kept well lubricated with clean oil. 

• Like 2

Thanks Ashley,

Keen to learn a bit more about the Aurion.  Yes always been a big fan of quality oil and regular oil change. Dad always said its the lifeblood of the engine.

cheers

11 hours ago, bradp51 said:

Thanks Ashley,

Keen to learn a bit more about the Aurion.  Yes always been a big fan of quality oil and regular oil change. Dad always said its the lifeblood of the engine.

cheers

If you register for club memberships for supercheap auto, repco etc, you can the advantage of the sales when they come about. We all have enjoyed savings of between 30% and 50% for full synthetic oils. Those who know me are aware of the stash I've accumulated. No more buying oil for me for a long while.

So there's no excuse NOT to do regular oil changes because oil is cheap and engine repairs are not.

Howdy all. Long time not here, corona has turned me into a lazy prick. I really cbf doing anything except watch tv & sleep when I get the chance. Working FT again this year, thankfully.

With regard to the 1.5 Ecoboost - well what can I say - it's a Ford 😄 & turbos cook oil quickly & so at 8000kms plus OCI I reckon are too long especially if **** oil is used.

If well looked after with regular oil changes I'm expecting the 2GR to go the distance just like the 1MZ did so often. Even the 5S in the Camry's of the XV20 did alright, this one has so far covered 1/2 million miles - do the math . .  https://www.mynbc5.com/article/mileage-milestone-womans-1999-toyota-camry-hits-half-a-million-miles/36833070

• 4 weeks later...

As we all know, the Australian built Aurion has been replaced by the Camry V6 made in Japan from 2018 on.

Unfortunately, the Camry V6 has recently been discontinued for Australia.

The 2GR-FE engine in the Aurions was replaced in the Camry V6 by the 2GR-FKS engine which has both port and direct injection.

Following video by The Car Nut outlines the differences between the 2 engines.

Certainly have to agree with his concerns about using plastic components in the cooling system on the 2GR-FKS engine. At some stage these plastic components are going to have to be replaced, presumably after the warranty has expired. 

• Like 1

Haha, I watched that very video just this morning then I see it posted here. Interesting changes to the FKS but I'm not a fan of plastic, especially where there is heat generated. Is it a case of monkey see, monkey do ? Who knows, and why someone thinks plastic is better for cooling systems is beyond me. More maintenance parts needed in a time when they really shouldn't be. Will using aluminium cripple a company ? I tend to think not. 

I'm happy to stick with my 2GR-FE thanks very much.

• Like 1

Ingenious design the D4S, but it's not all "rainbows & butterflies" . . . . .  I know the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) in these are ridiculously noisy, made worse with a loud "cricket" racket if you ever encounter varying grades or mixes of fuel such as E10. I and most BR86 owners know this as it too has the D4S system, nice but noisy.

"May the lord bless you & keep you & you have a wonderful day" 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

"May the lord bless you & keep you & you have a wonderful day" 😀

To which, I would reply "Peace on Earth to Men of Goodwill".

Something to consider as we are busy enjoying driving our Aurions, obeying the road rules and going safely about our journey. Unfortunately, not too much driving this weekend being in lockdown. 

• Like 1

Yes ty ZZT86 for being another true gentleman on here, the roads call me to cruise but not had one for months, the most the beauty gets to go is to the shops and back or up and down the driveway to be bathed or detailed. I know she is also aching to have a long smooth cruise and I keep telling her while cleaning her not long dear not long, and "Faye" as she is called at least loves the attention.

KAA

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, campbeam said:

"Peace on Earth to Men of Goodwill"

Amen to that 👍

I love AMD, he's so knowledgeable & so willing to spread the good word around on anything concerning brand T. He puts a smile on my face everytime. 😀

• Like 1