DIY CAI Stock Filter

Hey guys, thought it would be a educational and random experiement to hook a pipe up to my stock intake thingy

(sorry dont know the technical names)

I bought myself some tubing from autobahn for 25 bux

Here's some pics.. feel free to criticise/make recommendations/applauds.. and any other random comments

dsc031077jq.th.jpg

dsc031102zd.th.jpg

dsc031121ba.th.jpg

dsc031143ak.th.jpg

Instant defect for it hanging below the stone shield. Also can't be very secure there.

A better idea is to run the ducting to behind the fog light provision. This can be done by guiding it down behind the passanger side headlight. And also remove the standard hosing to do this ;)

i dont think its gonna make any diff at all, mabey make it worse as you have the pipe resrting against the gearbox housing and that gets reasonably hot...also this makes the lenght of the intake pipe over doubble what it was before so thats gonna restrict airflow.

i dont think its gonna make any diff at all, mabey make it worse as you have the pipe resrting against the gearbox housing and that gets reasonably hot...also this makes the lenght of the intake pipe over doubble what it was before so thats gonna restrict airflow.

yeah .. youve kinda doubled the length of the intake ???and with more turns n twists it cant be better ... ??

mabye if you ripped out some of the stock hosing .. and followed the path of the traditional CAI then you might notice a diff

it's a tad too long, as the other guys have suggested, but good work for the first DIY mod - once it's been reduced in size, take off the stone shield protector and remove the front left foglight cover and go for a drive LOL, see if there is any difference? :lol: cooler air = better power?

it's the learning from positive feedback that makes modding fun :)

Edited by RME1

You should also remove the the black hard plastic pipe that runs out of the airbox because its very small and restrictive. If you can attach that blue pipe in its place (with a bigger diametre) going into the airbox you should be fine.

You may want to insulate that blue pipe because there is a bit of hot air there, and that piping looks plastic so it will heat up pretty quickly

Far out, looks too close to the ground.. be careful when it rains. If you're going to drive with that, I would put some sort of mesh at the end, otherwise bugs and stuff will get sucked in and your filter will get clogged fast.

Like others have suggested, remove the stock resonator/piping and attach this blue pipe to the air box. Drop the blue pipe somewhere inside your bumper.

Way too long. :)

Why not just re-locate the stock intake tube just like someone did in this forum:

Re-locate Stock Intake

OR, since your getting a CAI in the future --> try drilling holes in air filter box. :huh: I won't say anymore just go to the link below.

Drilling holes in your air filter box

Disclaimer --> Any actions taken by the reader from this thread will not and cannot be held accounted for or held liable by the writter. :P :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

a really good DIY set up is that you hook up pipe inside the upper box where there is this white trumpet. Chop the front bit of the trumpet, insert elbow bent silicon, and the insert your intake piping and lead it to where the air filter will be located, in this case behind the fog lamp.

This method required removal of lower part of the box. MAF sensor won't be an issue because you are still using the MAF sensor holder from the upper part of the air box.

I never tried this, as I already have my CAI - but it should work nontheless.

a really good DIY set up is that you hook up pipe inside the upper box where there is this white trumpet. Chop the front bit of the trumpet, insert elbow bent silicon, and the insert your intake piping and lead it to where the air filter will be located, in this case behind the fog lamp.

This method required removal of lower part of the box. MAF sensor won't be an issue because you are still using the MAF sensor holder from the upper part of the air box.

I never tried this, as I already have my CAI - but it should work nontheless.

Yeah, I've always wondered what that white trumpet was for. Is it really needed if you still have the stock air box? What happens if you take it off, will it do anything to the air-flow?