Submit list of problems to Toyota

Guys,

I think it would be a good idea to make a list of problems we have with the Corolla Sportivo. I am overseas at present (and unfortunately don`t have much time), but maybe someone can compile a list. Maybe one of the members has a friend/family member who is a lawyer, and can give us some "pro bono" (free) advice on how best we should approach this matter. Best to do it right the first time.

Maybe Dept. of Fair Trading...or another body

- Engine (141kw output) - overstated

- Rattles (gear selector) - Toyota supposed to be working on replacement

- steering pulls to right (but apparently wheel alignment is OK)

- high fuel consumption

- engine noise

Well...just for starters....

Steve

Guys,

I think it would be a good idea to make a list of problems we have with the Corolla Sportivo. I am overseas at present (and unfortunately don`t have much time), but maybe someone can compile a list. Maybe one of the members has a friend/family member who is a lawyer, and can give us some "pro bono" (free) advice on how best we should approach this matter. Best to do it right the first time.

Maybe Dept. of Fair Trading...or another body

- Engine (141kw output) - overstated

- Rattles (gear selector) - Toyota supposed to be working on replacement

- steering pulls to right (but apparently wheel alignment is OK)

- high fuel consumption

- engine noise

Well...just for starters....

Steve

high fuel consumption? :S My car is no worse than what the fuel consumption was advertised at and i don't have the steering pulling to the right either? :S

My issues are:

- rattles in the dash, glove box, gear selector cable

- reverse braking

- dodgy gear box (can't change in high revs)

- ticking noise under car when idling.

- sizzling noise when accelerating (like it's pinging)

- engine noise (ticking/knocking)

- engine almost stalls when starting car (drops to 500RPM and almost stalls, then goes back to 1500RPM)

- knockig noise on the front left suspension when turning right

That's it for now. Hopefully there won;t be other probs that arises.

Understated top speed of car (suppose to be 215km/ph)...pffff yer rite  :rolleyes:

When you said pffff... did you mean it doesnt reach the 215 top speed or did you manage to do more?

I reckon you've gotta max out all gears well at least starting from 3rd gear onwards to get a high top speed.. cuz if you dont, 6th gear will do bugger all in terms of pulling it faster.. So you've definately gotta take it up to the redline in 5th, 4th and maybe 3rd..

Understated top speed of car (suppose to be 215km/ph)...pffff yer rite  :rolleyes:

When you said pffff... did you mean it doesnt reach the 215 top speed or did you manage to do more?

I reckon you've gotta max out all gears well at least starting from 3rd gear onwards to get a high top speed.. cuz if you dont, 6th gear will do bugger all in terms of pulling it faster.. So you've definately gotta take it up to the redline in 5th, 4th and maybe 3rd..

apart from acceleration and distance covered on the road, what difference would it make to the top speed if u maxed out 3, didn't max out 4 but max out 5 b4 shifting into 6?

- steering pulls to left (but apparently wheel alignment is OK)

- rattles in the dash, glove box, gear selector cable, where ever it bloody comes from (4000rpm+)

- reverse braking (brake squiel)

I Love the car but hate...

-the noises i get wen reversing...

-not being able to change gears at high revs, (wats the point of habin a high reving engine wen u cant take it all the way n change smoothly n quickly) <----biggest concern, we all paid alot of money for this car...

-n the power issue..141kw..???

besides tht..car seems to b ok..

hope by all of us gettin together we can do something abt these problems..

Reverse breaking squiels when it's cold.. it so embarassing when u reverse out and when ya break n u hear that damn noise..

I too have the problem of changing gears in high revs..(told toyota when i had my 10000km service and they said they didn't find a problem with it but i reckon it's all B'Crap.) They hardly did much kms on my car to test it out properly... )

The engine does sound a bit louder now esp high revs...any of u guys have this problem??

Tat's all from me for now.

apart from acceleration and distance covered on the road, what difference would it make to the top speed if u maxed out 3, didn't max out 4 but max out 5 b4 shifting into 6?

see.. if you maxed out say 4 you'd have already pulled faster in terms of your current speed than if you maxed out 5th and not 4th first.. the higher you go in gears the less pull they have..

Well, simply put.. it'd pull faster to a higher speed in a lower gear when you're maxing out that gear as compared to it pulling very very slowly if you tried doing it just in 5th.. Correct me if I'm wrong please..

Reverse breaking squiels when it's cold.. it so embarassing when u reverse out and when ya break n u hear that damn noise..

I too have the problem of changing gears in high revs..(told toyota when i had my 10000km service and they said they didn't find a problem with it but i reckon it's all B'Crap.) They hardly did much kms on my car to test it out properly... )

The engine does sound a bit louder now esp high revs...any of u guys have this problem??

Tat's all from me for now.

Yeah, I had that at first when I got the car.. But after complaining to the toyota guys.. They took it into the workshop and said the tightened the handbrake and deglazed the brakedisks or something.. But it actually did stop squeeling for a good 2 months and the handbrake was stiff as..

When I was about to drive the car out of the workshop that day I looked into the car and wondered howcome they didnt put the park brake on and realised it was tightened soooo much that you just needed to lift it like 3-4 clicks and it was full lock already. Took a while of getting used to but now its a gone back to its original height..

As for the loud engine revs.. Well, I dont think thats a problem. A 1.8L 4 banger is sure to scream when pushed hard. The only thing I get worried is when I'm doing 180-190km on the freeway and the engine fully sounds like all hell is breaking lose in there and its about to fall off its mountings inside.

- brake squeal while reversing and braking (got it "fixed" once on 1000km and 10,000km service. never worked at all. :angry:

- slight rattle in front passanger side door. sounds light something knocking on the window when it's down inside the door

- interior arm rest on the front door trims are loose.

- no steering reach adjustment :angry:

- passanger seat does not slide on railing smoothly

- suspension is too damn high! :blink:

u guys must have got all the problems cause i have none at all :P

Yeah its probably because we have sh!tty dealers :angry:

They should have sent the car to the workshop prior to delivery to remove the brake squeel..

I think the sizzling noise we hear is from the air induction for those who still have the stock setup. My car has:

-gearbox shifting problems,

-rattles everywhere every now and then,

-reverse brake squeal,

-flickering lights,

-car pulled to left when i first got it and 2 allignments didn't help but gradually disappeared (but check your tyre pressures and try rotating them to see if it solves the problems, if not i suspect its a shock absorber problem that some owners are experiencing already)

-Steering wheel shudder during braking (dealer told me to wait till next service and they will do something to the brake discs)

-Clicking tapping noise from clutch or somepart of drivetrain every now and then

-And of course the engine power output issue

(I am sure there are more but just cannot recall. This car is far from PERFECT :P )

Zee

i have the general issue stated, they dont bother me that much. What does bother me is the fact that i dont believe there will be any national recall of the sportivo. Or any of these problems getting fixed. This is based on the reactions from some of the dealers denying any issues with the Sportivo.

just my bitch :angry:

yeh. i got my 10,000km service yesterday and they just played dumb about the whole brake squeel issue.

I too, like some of you, had the alignment problem. when i first got it, the car pulled left and alignment wouldn't fix it. dont' know what could be wrong. it's still there now. i suspected a mistake with the toe angles.

yeh. i got my 10,000km service yesterday and they just played dumb about the whole brake squeel issue.

I too, like some of you, had the alignment problem. when i first got it, the car pulled left and alignment wouldn't fix it. dont' know what could be wrong. it's still there now. i suspected a mistake with the toe angles.

Gosh.. you got your service yesterday and the prang happened today..

I got my 5000km service and my prang happened on the very same day! :rolleyes:

Services are bad luck I tell you.. baddd luck

damn straight! :( the service cost me $230 btw. is that what you guys paid for your 10,000km service? (sorry for breaking topic)

also, the cover that goes over the tail light inside the boot doesn't clip in properly.