Mazda 3 MPS tests and reviews!

Some lucky *people* got to go to the "Mazda Performance Drive Day" at Willowbank Raceway and got to fang the MX5, RX8, MPS 6 and MPS 3 and even get some driving tips from Dik Johnson.

Mazda Performance Drive Day review

needless to say the MPS 3 impressed a lot of people. There are some cool pics (1 of Dik Jonhson himself in an MPS 3) and a in car video of a OMC member fanging the MPS 3 around te track! ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some lucky bastards got to go to the "Mazda Performance Drive Day" at Willowbank Raceway and got to fang the MX5, RX8, MPS 6 and MPS 3 and even get some driving tips from ***** Johnson.

Mazda Performance Drive Day review

needless to say the MPS 3 impressed a lot of people. There are some cool pics (1 of ***** Jonhson himself in an MPS 3) and a in car video of a OMC member fanging the MPS 3 around te track! ;)

Yeh, i spent the day out there today..it was a great!

Extremely impressed with the 3 MPS, but they were all great cars to drive. I am just such a fan of the rotary rx8.

***** can really drive aswell!

Test drove one on saturday, and tested the RX-8 too.

The rx-8 feels like a sports car, smoooth power but the mps is a faster car.

i sneezed and hit 120. it after that it just kept going!

the lack of leather recaros is a bummer, and the high on top feeling of a hatch rather then the lay low feeling of the rx-8 is another considerration.

but thumbs up!

Hi all - i'm tossing up between the GOlf GTi and the new Mazda 3 MPS.

Any thoughts?? Almost everyone here seems to be supporting the mps (not a surprise, considering the forum i'm in), but wondering if anyone has any experience with the latest golf gti...or any feedback really. tough tough choice.

cheers folks

-prat

Any thoughts?? Almost everyone here seems to be supporting the mps (not a surprise, considering the forum i'm in), but wondering if anyone has any experience with the latest golf gti...or any feedback really. tough tough choice.

cheers folks

-prat

MPS for sure!! :lol: But Golf GTI is a damn sweet ride too, i will have both if i could :P Plus there are nore aftermarket tuning stuff for the GTI already. Test drive both dude ;)

cheers folks

-prat

Get the GTI, the MPS is a fun fast car, but when you buy a vw, its not about being the fastest, its about having the best package of class fun and zoom!

btw I drive a vw

cheers folks

-prat

Get the GTI, the MPS is a fun fast car, but when you buy a vw, its not about being the fastest, its about having the best package of class fun and zoom!

btw I drive a vw

Anyone who has driven the MPS 3 will know that yes its a very quick and fun car to drive but it is also an extremely great package. Ive also been a pasenger in the new GTI and personally it bored me. Interior is conservative as is the drive. 3 all the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo!!! I will get a chance to drive the MX5, RX8, MPS6 and MPS3 at Oran Park on Friday! It's the Mazda Performance Drive Day, i got the invite from playing a game :lol: however its only for a lap i think in each car, better than nothing though.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Woohoo!!! I will get a chance to drive the MX5, RX8, MPS6 and MPS3 at Oran Park on Friday! It's the Mazda Performance Drive Day, i got the invite from playing a game :lol: however its only for a lap i think in each car, better than nothing though.

pick me up ? :(

i would man if u r not in Melbourne :lol: and if my car is not full! I have a couple of people wanting to come as well and i am not even sure if i can bring spectators. Maybe let me get back to you ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

i would man if u r not in Melbourne :lol: and if my car is not full! I have a couple of people wanting to come as well and i am not even sure if i can bring spectators. Maybe let me get back to you ;)

its a date :lol:

Zee you know my number man ;)

Zee you know my number man ;)

yep for sure Dylan will let u know :D and i'm sure the other Sydney siders can get there pretty easily if they are not working :lol: It's a whole day event with 3 sessions that day. There is also a session on Thursday, i will be driving on Friday 1pm.

Man, the Drive Day was fun but not long enough to get a proper impression of the cars especially when we were only using half the track, whle the VIC guys got to use the whole Sanddown track and got to clock speeds of over 200km/h! <_< We only got an outlap and then another lap before into the pits. The 1st car we got to sit in was an MPS3 piloted by DJ and damn he drove the thing so fast i nearly shat myself! Not knowing the track personally obviously didn't help, it had blind crests and sweeping undulating corners where he attacked in 3rd/4th gears while he chatted away with you. Got a free photo with him too with his autograph so that was nice :D

The bring a friend thing was canceled at the last minute due to a stuff up with the bookings <_< My favourite of the day was actually the MX5 although the engine was gutless and the pedal layout was too close together, everytime i reached for the clutch i bump the foot rest and i have size 9.5 feet. :blink: The driving instructor was in the MX5 coaching us through the bends and asking us to brake way early and accelerate smoothly shifting at no later than 4000rpm <_< But still i revved the thing out a little bit to 5000+rpm way after the instructor told me to shift up :P and it definitely needs more power. but just the chassis, steering and brakes makes this so much fun and i can why its the best selling and most affordable sports car in the world ;)

RX8 was disapponting, Stivo definitely felt quicker on the straights and punchier out of corners. Although it steered and braked very well and you can feel the car telling you to race it, the engine disappointed. Its very smooth and the sound of it is awesome but you can definitely feel the weight over the MX5. The gearshifts of the MX5/RX8 was also a tad nothcy, had trouble with the RX8's 4th gear, the MPS6/3's 6speed were much smoother maybe due to tripple synchros.

The MPS6 was great, AWD gripped and the car felt heavy but very stable and it felt like you could floor the throttle anywhere. It's a very nice sports sedan, but once u get out of it and into the MPS3 even i was amazed at how much more urge the MPS3 had over the MPS6. The weight definitely makes a huge difference and its also louder, steering more responsive although as you can imagine i hammered it like nothing else and i got the front wheels really protesting even with DSC on. Now we weren't allowed to switch DSC off in any of the cars while DJ can. But i can clearly see that the MPS3 in the right hands hammers and nearly everyone that drove the MPS3 said it was the most fun :lol:

Also got news that they are entering an MPS3 into the Bathurst 1000. And i also know who won the latest Hot Hatch comparo by MOTOR, hint hint.. its a Mazda :lol:

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 2 weeks later...

i seen one of these at the moto gp last week, nice car but looks to plain for a sports car and for the power its got.they should have done more to the looks

Hi gengo, i somewhat agree with what you said but Mazda thought otherwise, they wanted to try and not be too "boy racer" and have these cars appeal to a wider audience across the globe. They could have done a bit more though but a keen eye will pick the differences while others will just think its a normal Mazda 3 so its kindof a sleeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I just test drove the Mazda 3 MPS at Mazda dealer, and the guy I met was so kind enough to let me test drive Mazda 3 MPS B)

I had a little trouble launching the car from the start, as I stalled the engine two times, because the clutch wont let me release my left foot quickly as I did on my Corolla manual :D

Honestly I love the turbo rush, from 3,000rpm onwards...and the acceleration is breathtaking :o :o :o :o :o

I did not realize after I had fully accelerated the car, I have done 120km/h in 70km/h zone :ph34r::ph34r:

Yesterday the weather was hot in Melbourne (30 degrees) and I don't think this car perform the best yet, all it need is cold weather and voila! :D

And now the price, it is just a bit above $43,000 driveaway for the basic version, that works out around $935 monthly payment (that is without balloon, without deposit as well) for 5 years term.

Just wondering to those Mazda 3 MPS owner, how much you pay for comprehensive insurance annually if you don't mind telling? I'm on Rating 1 and I'm just curious to know.

Well that's my short review of Mazda 3 MPS test drive. I love to have it but I think it's too far beyond my budget :D

Yesterday I just test drove the Mazda 3 MPS at Mazda dealer, and the guy I met was so kind enough to let me test drive Mazda 3 MPS B)

I had a little trouble launching the car from the start, as I stalled the engine two times, because the clutch wont let me release my left foot quickly as I did on my Corolla manual :D

Honestly I love the turbo rush, from 3,000rpm onwards...and the acceleration is breathtaking :o :o :o :o :o

I did not realize after I had fully accelerated the car, I have done 120km/h in 70km/h zone :ph34r::ph34r:

Yesterday the weather was hot in Melbourne (30 degrees) and I don't think this car perform the best yet, all it need is cold weather and voila! :D

And now the price, it is just a bit above $43,000 driveaway for the basic version, that works out around $935 monthly payment (that is without balloon, without deposit as well) for 5 years term.

Just wondering to those Mazda 3 MPS owner, how much you pay for comprehensive insurance annually if you don't mind telling? I'm on Rating 1 and I'm just curious to know.

Well that's my short review of Mazda 3 MPS test drive. I love to have it but I think it's too far beyond my budget :D

haha, glad you liked it! :D and the clutch is a bit hard to get used to at first, have to ride it a bit. When i was at the Driveday so many bunnyhopped it or stalled it it was unreal. Same with MPS6 so its not just you. :D My comprehensive insurance is $1500 with NRMA and comes with windscreen cover and pay by the month. I am 24 yrs old, with max ncb and live at Shellharbour city. I think where you live will make more difference to the premium, my mate who is 27 with gold licence and max ncb got quoted $2100 by AAMI for the MPS, he lives in Wollongong.

Also : Mazda3 MPS wins category in BFYB :clap:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got the new MOTOR mag, Mazda3 MPS won its price category $30-40k cars from Astra SRi and Focus XR5... no real competition there!!

"The Mazda3 sends its rivals back to their corners bleeding"

0-100m and 400m times are pretty much on par with a 350Z and just a hair off WRX, actually quicker down the 400m than the 350Z (mazda 14.3s/ 350Z 14.4s).

Mazda6 MPS and MX5 got 5th and 6th respectively in the 40-50k bracket.

Overall Mazda3 MPS came 4th behind Commo VE SS, Evo9, WRX STI. Mps6 came 12th.

Seems our little rocket is killing em!!!

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 2 weeks later...

will be interesting to see how the mazda responds to exhaust mods. Other modern turbo cars are known to flag CEL's and hit boost cut once the exhaust is free'd up.

How much boost do they run to make 190kw?

I took one for a test drive yesterday morning, don't quote me on this as car salesmen can be a little bit misleading, but I was told they run at 12 psi out of factory...

Sounds pretty high to me considering the wrx runs only at about 7psi the last time i checked.

Sorry people, just realised the google search that brought me to this forum took me to page 1 and i didn't think to look at the dates as I was too busy reading peoples reviews...

So my last reply may seem a little delayed :)

oh well, was I right?