TRD CAI

Danthuyer

Here are a few pics to help you all out when fitting the TRD CAI. As a few of the pics are hard to see in the readme guide supplied.

brown_vsv.jpg

This shows the pipes of the brown vsv which is not needed. anything from the blue gormmet onwards can be removed (remember to close off the hose)

bracket_cut.jpg

This shows the bracket which needs to be cut before installing (as the bracket is made for the XR-S not our sportivo)

blue_vsv.jpg

This shows the piping as it should be once it is finished (note the hose coming in from the side is the new hose which you get in the box)

no_vsv.jpg

Another shot of the final piping without the sensor for a better view

pod_down.jpg

The view of the pod (straight is good :) )

pod_fog.jpg

The amount of room between the fog light and the pod is important. dont want all that hot air from the light getting in (this pod can be pushed up higher also for more clearance)

• 2 months later...

Couple of things to remember :-

- Dont tighten the clamps on the rubber elbow too tight (this will cause the clamps to cut into the elbow due to engine movement)

- You need to buy atleast one more rubber cap, so that you can close off the spout on the pipe and also the small hose that goes into the brown VSV

- K+N Extreme 3900 is the preferred pod as it fits alot better than the standard TRD one (without removing the fog light)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Check the very first picture. The brown VSV should be removed. I keep the line from the blue and white round thingy (grommet) to the tube on the CAI before the MAF sensor, but others block it off.

Edited by oz_viking

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Check the very first picture. The brown VSV should be removed. I keep the line from the blue and white round thingy (grommet) to the tube on the CAI before the MAF sensor, but others block it off.

I still don't understand I have the AEM CAI, which I assume is pretty much the same deal. I bought it second hand and I didn't get installation instructions or brackets for that matter. This is what mine looks like at the moment.

caihelpva8.jpg

I didn't really touch any of the hoses. I just ripped out my oem air box and bolted the AEM piping in. I left the hoses in the same connectors as my stock one.

1. This is the hose coming from the engine.

2. This is the hose coming from that black thing e.g. the 3rd picture.

3. The tube from the CAI was when I purchased it was blocked off and It's still blocked off.

Please tell me my engine's not going to blow up?

Edited by shmicko

• 2 months later...

There seems to be some confusion in other threads about the EGR valve and how it should be mounted so I thought i'd clarify.

post-123-1185885668_thumb.jpg

1. The charcoal canister

2. EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

3. Vacuum line that should be capped (not part of the EGR system). you will need to buy this cap

as it's not provided in the kit. (Go to your local Autobarn and ask for 6.5mm vacuum caps)

4. The bracket used to mount the EGR valve (provided with the TRD CAI kit)

post-123-1185885691_thumb.jpg

5. The bolt point (use silver bolt provided). The bottom bolt point is the bolt point for the

charcoal canister bracket. You must undo the bolt and sandwich the TRD bracket between.

post-123-1185885709_thumb.jpg

7. The EGR valve off the braket

8. Assemble the bracket according to the manual. You must bend the longer part so that is clears the

the cable conduit behind (not labeled).

post-123-1185885736_thumb.jpg

This is how the grommet should look after you remove the VSV. use the cap provided in the kit. It's OK to leave it hanging.

Just make sure it doesn't snag on the throttle butterfly.

post-123-1185886412_thumb.jpg

I bought a silicone intake hose and wrapped it around the part of the CAI that rubs against the chassis.

Edited by qkslvr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

just a quick question..

i haver a 06 rolla sedan (DBW) and just bought a TRD CAI

is the instalation the same as cable throttle rollas? is there anything i have to do different..

has anyone installed TRD CAI on Drive By Wire rolla?

SOrry guys forgot no questions in here!!

Edited by $ANGELO$

• 1 month later...
you tried removing the splash guard underneath the car?? they are pretty flexible but don't be too rough on it, also those tabs cost about $2 each at toyota, try not to damage them.

yeh i removed that, but i can't seem to find a way to tighten it from there... i was holding the pod with one hand through the fog light hole n using my other hand to try and tighten it from the top, but couldn't find a good place around to tighten it

i also tried to tighten it b4 puttin it in but it kept on popping off the top of rubber after i pushed it in...

• 1 year later...

sorry to ask a question here just want to know is 1zz and 2zz's trd cai the same in terms of the piping because i could fit mine right that i brought it from a 1zz owner

couldn't seem to make it fit right is either the pipe sit too high or too low :unsure: is a little hard to install without a guide even i follow the steps on this thread

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i was wondering i currently have all the extra hoses blocked off? what do they do? i know what the vacumm but what are the rest? like the charcoal canister plug thing? is it unsafe that i have all of them blocked off?

• 1 month later...

CAUTION: 3A RACAIN POD on Facelift, with TRD CAI

or any other pod that has a cone/funnel in the middle with cap

the other day i changed my air filter because it was getting dirty (coz the 3a racing are cheap and chearful with proven gains) and foundout a few things that i hadn't realised when i first installed my CAI.

1. the TRD pod is large and dousn't seem to fit the facelift very well (not quite true)

2. The 3a racing, because it is shorter fits very well (so it seems)

3. the 3a racing fits but needs to be pushed fairly high onto the end of the CAI pipe

4. 3a racing pods have an additional Cone/funnel up the middle of it that dips inside the pod, this has a rubber centre cap holding it together

5. when fitting it to a facelift, the pod sits so high that the funnel cap in the middle of the pod actually "PLUGS" the end of the CAI, and if you pull it down lower, then it simply hits the top/back of the foglight.

6. for the reason the 3a racing isn't a good fit for the facelift becasue from what i tried, there is no way to get it low enough to have the end of the pipe inside a clear gap to actually suck up all the air from the filter.

7. TRD pod that is supplied has a very flexible top, remove foggie, slide pod on, re fit foggie, then bend/angle the pod fairly low and push it behind the fog light. then re tighten the pod from the top (moving the battery makes this easy)

conclusion: the TRD pod supplied does fit the facelift and with a little pushing around it can sit a lot lower than the 3a racing but be sucking in full air. car goes a lot better now!

• 9 months later...