New Intake Problems

Hi everyone,

i just got made a custom SRI for my 1ZZFE with a k&n pod..

i just installed it and its not how i thought it would be..

the car was warm when i installed so i only can go on this..

idle has dropped from around 800 to 400 rpm... this causes the car to shake and the intake noise sounds weird.. like its sucking erraticly..

there is a huge power loss i mean HUGE!!! the car doesnt move till around 3000 rpm where it seems like theres a spike in torque..

there doesnt seem to be any leaks. i can only hear the pod sucking in air and not from any other connection..

the maf sensor is installed properly.. please help

what diameter is the SRI? and where did you mount the MAF in relation to the throttle body and filter? You most likely need an airflow straightener if it's a 3" pipe.

Ill post a pic later tonitee..

the piping is 3 inch in diameter and replaces the factory rubber tubing. the sensor is mounted in the same position as stock and is about 2 inch from the pod filter.. maf sensor is secured tightly and is completely sealed.

i remember reading something about resetting the ecu.. i unplugged the battery before installation for about 2 hrs.. but it just doesnt seem right that the engine responds in this way on first startup.. do i have to make the ecu "learn" the responsiveness of the new intake? how long will it take to do this?? i have driven around with the new intake for approx 15 mins..

Edited by aciasche

several things strike me.

but i'll need to se the photos, is the MAF sitting in a pipe that's the sme size as stock or is that 3 in too?

try reset ecu a few more times (mine only got used to the cai after the 4th try) and give it a bout 200 kms before making any more judgements.

You need an airflow straightener in the 3" pipe especially with the filter that close.

You will have a lot of turbulence around the MAF with a 3" pipe and the filter that close. Check a VW MAF to see how they get around the problem.

You need an airflow straightener in the 3" pipe especially with the filter that close.

You will have a lot of turbulence around the MAF with a 3" pipe and the filter that close. Check a VW MAF to see how they get around the problem.

spot on the money, we found that 2.5" is the best size intake pipe for a 1zz-fe.

spot on the money, we found that 2.5" is the best size intake pipe for a 1zz-fe.

Also make sure that the MAF is in the same spot measurement wise from the throttle body as stock as during testing runs at CES this also caused some erratic idling etc etc. When we put it in the same place as factory measurement wise problem dissappeared.

haha soz i cant get any fotos up my camera frikken brokeee.. ill borrow a mates one tomorow

nah i never push the car cold just common sense lol

i fixed the erratic idle problem by puttin in 98 octane fuel.. ill try next tank with 95 to see if it idles alrite so i can save a lil money lol.. also the intake hiss on idle seems to have quieted down a lil..

another question.. is there much of an advantage of runnin a cold air pipe to the sri?? the majority of air would still be coming from the engine bay wouldnt it?? has anyone tried routing a cold air pipe to the front grille?? i think that could be my next experiment hahaha

also.. there is an irregular hissing noise coming from the engine at idle.. everytime the intake hisses the car would rumble.. the only conclusion i can come to is a vacuum or air leak.. does anyone have any suggestions to find these leaks if there are any??

Edited by aciasche

haha soz i cant get any fotos up my camera frikken brokeee.. ill borrow a mates one tomorow

nah i never push the car cold just common sense lol

i fixed the erratic idle problem by puttin in 98 octane fuel.. ill try next tank with 95 to see if it idles alrite so i can save a lil money lol.. also the intake hiss on idle seems to have quieted down a lil..

another question.. is there much of an advantage of runnin a cold air pipe to the sri?? the majority of air would still be coming from the engine bay wouldnt it?? has anyone tried routing a cold air pipe to the front grille?? i think that could be my next experiment hahaha

yeah i had a pipe breathing from the front bumper up to the SR.. its still wasnt the best as there wasnt a heatshield to cover the pod...

I had to reset m ecu like 4 times afer installing my CES CAI before it ran properly. I had major hesitation. My VSV valve is still noisy as hell though, sort of makes cough sound when idling.