17 vs 18

specialized32

Hey guys,

Well got my rims (speedy lite 7’s, with toyos) put on order so far I stuck with 17’s but im having second thoughts about the size and maybe going 18’s Im getting coilovers soon, so maybe just stick with 17’s cause they are just for looks? Thoughts? Opinions?

Personally I would go with 18's for the looks. Plus your getting coilovers you can always lower your car a bit more when you get them.

18's look awsome on the Corolla fills up the wheel arch very nicely.

Depends where you drive and how you drive.

If most of the roads you travel on are pretty smooth and you're a fairly smooth/easy driver then go for 18's.

But if you travel on crappy roads and/or need to go to the city/inner city alot where you encounter a fair amount of tram tracks and pot holes then I would stick to the 17's, a bit more rubber between wheel and road a little less likely to buckle if you hit something, with the stronger, more expensive wheels this isn't such an issue, but on cheaper wheels I think this is something to consider. I dare say you would get more life out of the 17" tyres too.

If you're thinking about comfort, the difference would be SFA.

But VVTLi seems to do ok on his 18's and he lives in the same area as you.

How often do you take your car to the track?

Not often - 18"

Often - 16" or 17"

I'd probably do the opposite of you there :P

If you go often, I would have 18s as the daily driver and another set of wheels purely for track use. 16's or 17's if you don't go often and just use them on the track as well, once in a blue moon.

The question I'd be asking myself is if you lean more towards 'looks' or more towards 'performance'. What future plans do you have for the car? What kind of car do you want it to become... etc,etc.

Not often - 18"

Often - 16" or 17"

If you go often, I would have 18s as the daily driver and another set of wheels purely for track use. 16's or 17's if you don't go often and just use them on the track as well, once in a blue moon.

The question I'd be asking myself is if you lean more towards 'looks' or more towards 'performance'. What future plans do you have for the car? What kind of car do you want it to become... etc,etc.

Future plans... :ph34r:

i dont think 18's could get u enough traction... 18s suck!

Well I like comfort but don’t mind the usual show off :P . I think the ride will be even harsher if I had 18’s and coilovers, plus vvtlir’s 18’s are nice but he has lost his turning circle. I have done all the sussy mods bar coilies so last thing I want is my fat ***** rims letting me down.

Not often - 18"

Often - 16" or 17"

True mate, thats another way doing it.

Then another question is could you be bothered to change your wheels everytime you go onto the track but I do like your thinking.

Not often - 18"

Often - 16" or 17"

True mate, thats another way doing it.

Then another question is could you be bothered to change your wheels everytime you go onto the track but I do like your thinking.

:toast: Definately go the 2 phase option of :

1. Show/daily B)

2. Track :spiteful: *makes u look hardcores when you are changing ur rims and transforming ur car into FORCE mode!! *

Or u could just JDM it :toast:

18 look just right, 17s look a bit small on a Rolla.

Yeah it does make it a little harder to park with 225 wide tyres, but not as bad as the Honda Legend.

lol true well im going down to the tyre guy tomorrow see what happens but for now im sticking with 17's think its enough plus the coilovers will dump it just right i reckon :D

18 look just right, 17s look a bit small on a Rolla.

Yeah it does make it a little harder to park with 225 wide tyres, but not as bad as the Honda Legend.

lol true well im going down to the tyre guy tomorrow see what happens but for now im sticking with 17's think its enough plus the coilovers will dump it just right i reckon :D

which coilovers r u purchasing ?

VVTLiR - what's the brand and load rating on your tyres?

Falken ZE-512 with 87 load rating. A few other members on the forums have same tyres. They are a pretty good all round tyre and they have lasted ages considering they are a soft compound. Dont get Falken ZE-326, they dont grip in the wet at all.

Edited by VVTLiR

VVTLiR - what's the brand and load rating on your tyres?

Falken ZE-512 with 87 load rating. A few other members on the forums have same tyres. They are a pretty good all round tyre and they have lasted ages considering they are a soft compound. Dont get Falken ZE-326, they dont grip in the wet at all.

Yeah VVTLiR is correct with the Falken ZE-326. I've got them and they are pretty bad in the wet. I can't wait to change them.

18s!!!!!!!!!111!!!

Man 17s look too small these days. 18s are even looking small after a while but I still get a smile on my face now and again when I see my car. If I got 17s I'd probly look at it thinking "I wish I got 18s"