Toyota Recall Update

I was not going to post this but you are all going to find out anyway soon.

The start of the replacement/recall looks like it is starting to appear on the horizon. I was at a dealer friends place today and saw the blurb sheet from Toyota.

The two parts they are replacing is the the Airbox cap and the ECU.

They will be doing the cars still held by dealers first.. no news on the sold cars. But even after the change over parts they are still not allowed to release the cars ?????? don't ask me why.

This upgrade will be basicly the same as the South Africa cars.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I will be only going to the dealer I know. I guess the only thing will be to take the original airbox back. I could suggest a dealer but will have to ask them If they will look the other way.... re the airbox if they want the warranty work.. when it happens

The two parts they are replacing is the the Airbox cap and the ECU.

They will be doing the cars still held by dealers first.. no news on the sold cars.

If they don't upgrade our cars (those already purchased) and just do the ones atill on the shelf waiting and waiting and waiting to be passed and sold, I'm sure there is a good case for Dept of Consumer Affairs.....

Sadly yes it will have to come off but only when I know when the recall is definitly happening I my car is booked in :( :( . But as soon as my car has been done straight back to Tecknik tuning and $250 worse off I'll be <_< <_< .

My biggest concern RE the ECU and the recall is why it has to happen at all? Why was the sportivo rated at 141kw but shipped at something other unknown kw? IF we are 20kw off the mark like someone earlier in this thread suggests.. or even 10 like someone else suggested i would have thought that the solution would have been a little more difficult to come across than just an ECU change, because i would have thought this would be putting a lot more strain on the engine?

I don't know... i have said before i'm not mechanically minded, but the whole situation seems a bit iffy to me. I have read elsewhere that there were reports early on about the Sportivo having too much power for some of the components to handle and things being bent and stuffed (I'm sure someone can recall exactly what these parts were :P) and the thread posted by adrrolla about the 2zzge having problems also makes me worry that perhaps Toyota got news on this early on in the piece and reduced the max power in order to minimise the fallout.

I don't know... maybe i'm a little paranoid about the whole situation but i just don't understand how they can be so far off the mark the mark like it has been suggested in this thread yet not know anything about it... but then again... i don't know how they come up with the rating in the first place so perhaps its very easy to do?

Opinions or perhaps even some answers guys?

*EDIT* I mentioned people were commenting in thiss thread re how much short we were in kw... however it was in the other 'power issue' thread. Sorry! :P */EDIT*

it won't put strain on the engine just check the up tune they have done for the lotus elise with the 2zz

no worries... i'm just curious as to how Toyota can get it so wrong and or why the got it so wrong... and i guess my weak mechanical knowledge doesn't help in figuring this out on my own... which is why i require you guys :P

in regards to the CAI, my local toyota is penrith and last time i was in there i asked that damned question "will the TRD CAI void my warranty" and after an hour of speaking to the ladies supervisor i had a letter in my hand. Im covered.

Might be worth ur while to do the same, u CAI blokes!

cheers.

mike

Lotus has same power and torque.

Lotus did a complete remap of the ECU for more driveability.

The midrange is phat and the change to lift is much smoother, and without that one third of a second 'wait' for it to kick in.

Lotus has same power and torque.

Lotus did a complete remap of the ECU for more driveability.

The midrange is phat and the change to lift is much smoother, and without that one third of a second 'wait' for it to kick in.

Plus it weighs 300kg lighter hence i wouldn't expect it to have much of a problem driving around in the city with 180NM torque and the torque hole would be less evident. I know of one guy here who has a 04' Exige 111R with the 2ZZGE. He owns a tuning workshop around here (Albion Park Rail) and previously drives a Porsche GT3!!! Not the latest model but still why the heck would someone sell a GT3!!! I must go to his workshop one day and maybe snap a few pics of the Exige. Will also try to land my bum in it :P

Another update the new ECU has been approved for road use. The existing Corollas in the showrooms will now get the mod (don't know when due to availability of parts) and will now be allowed to be released to their owners (270 of them I am told). Nothing new on the existing cars on the road but hopefully I will know tomorrow. Also the new Sportivo will be released in Australia but not till January next year (confirmed from my dealer contact).

A further Update to the recall.

1) The parts for the cars that on the road should be delivered to the dealers on the 16th of August.

2) A letter will be sent to all owners around the 23rd of August, telling you about the recall. And to arrange a time to book you car in.

So I will now arrange to get my Unichip bypassed for now.

For the Dates it may be correct or they maybe subject to change. So don't hold against me if it is wrong.