Toyota Recall Update

Thanks for the info Peekay. I was supposed to bring my car into my dealership here last Friday for a test drive by some regional representative, who was going to diagnose my car's problems. Apparently this guy only comes once in a while and a "special" appointment was made for me because i wrote my concerns to TMCA who in-turn wrote to this dealership's manager and they rang me to offer this meeting. I never made it due to work and received another email today from TMCA asking me to make another appointment. I replied and will see how it goes. Maybe they realised the fix was coming for the Stivos and needed one with the problems to be a "gunea pig" to test out the stuff?

Zee

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peekay this maybe a silly question so i apologise in advance

With the power upgrade, and airbox upgrade, will this affect your overall power/performance when done in conjuction with the unichip? Is the torque hole going to be plugged even more?

Simple answer mate Huh!! I have no answer and won't know as nobody on this forum will untill it has been done, sorry mate. But it will be done 1 week then I will re do the unichip. I will post the results this time.

called my dealer today and spoke to manager... still no official word on release "still lokks like mid september"

im patient but i know its just sitting there doing nothing... ive seen it.

also about that red stivo at essondon toyota.. i feel sorry for whoever bought it, there a scrathces in teh paint work from being on the showroom floor and also when i last saw it a slight tear in the passenger seat where someone with a stud on the jeans must have dragged their fat ***** across it. (unless you got it cheap)

If the fieldfix on the Australian destined Sportivos is exactly like the SA spec vehicles, the following information may be relevan and may answer some of your questions.

The new air box cap is less restrictive than the unit that it replaces. The induction module no longer has a step down

The ECU has been remapped to advance timing from 21 degrees to 24 degrees under full blown throttle. This will NOT put any additional pressure on any drivetrain components. It will not result in pinging, either. The timing can be advanced (through a remap) easily to 27 degrees without any risk of mechanical failure.

As noted in another post, the upgraded cables no longer feature metal sleeves and will be available from October. The kit also includes a new (heavier) gearknob to improve feel.

On the performance and chip side of things. Don't expect a fire breathing dragon after the upgrade. The vehicle will be more driveable between 3000 and 6000 rpm, with a noticeable improvement in torque (around 7 Nm in that rev range). If you're expecting 10kW or 20kW, you're going to be dissapointed. Actual power gained (on the wheels) should be between 2 and 5kW.

I don't really frequent this forum that often. If you need additional info, please pm me.

hmmm...reading what QUICKSILVER has posted about the new mappings of the ECU with regards to advancing the ignition timing im guessing they might also adjust the throttle to match so once this is put into place and we re-chip it with the unichip im thinking we wont see any added gains over how the car was performing with the stock ECU when it was chipped due to the fact that the chip advances the ignition timing and adjust the throttle of the stock ECU to increase performance anyway. i.e. if stock its 21 degree's & with the unichip its 27 degrees all thats going to happen is they are going to give us an ECU thats at 24 degrees but the Unichip at the end of the day over rides this and pumps it back to 27 degrees as before ???? this is just an example not sure what the unichip adjusts it to.

So basically i think we shouldnt see any added power increase after you unichip the car with the new ECU than the power it had when it was unichipped with the old ECU due to the fact that the whole concept of the unichip is to capture the signal before it hits the electronics as its leaving the ECU and change it to what its been tuned for by the tuning workshop...So neglagible of the ECU and its settings the Unichip will just do what it did before with the old ECU as its the tuning that counts...then again i could be wrong.

Peekay any ideas ??????

If you have mods already on the car the unichip will still make a good difference as the Toyota remap will not be tuned for them. With a good CAI setup alone a unichip can make a substantial difference.

Besides outright performance the unichip makes a big difference in throttle response, the Toyota remap will still follow their usual setup with only a few incremental steps in throttle positioning unlike a well tuned unichip which has many.

If you look at some of the race focused Porshe's you can buy straight from factory, these cars are already highly tuned compared to a normal Porsche from the assembly line, but a unichip still makes a big difference.

I am still very confident a unichip will be a good investment in the overall driveability of the car and intend to do it. No doubts in my mind!

No... I don't own shares in them either, I have just had them on nearly every car I have ever owned and on every one of them it was well worth it and never disapointed!

its ok waiting on my silver one for now

The wait does you good. It builds the anticipation!

Most of us guys who bought the Stivo in the just after release period had to wait 3 to 5 months for delivery. That was painfull! :(

But it is certainly worth the wait!

hey all, i was ringing up my service center (nunawading) and inquiring about the gear selector cable fix, the service guy wasnt aware of much, but was aware of the rumors going around, so he gave a call to toyota to see wot was going on. he got back to me and confirmed wot peekay posted. dealers/service centers have been supplied parts (ecu, intake) and have been installing them on new cars. also i think they may have a fix for the notchy gear box as well as the rattles, as he said in about a months time, we will recieve letters asking us to come in, so they can fix the power issue + gear box issues. he also recommended to me that i not install my CAI as of yet, and wait for the recall.

also, i asked about warranty issues involiving the CAI, he said he cant see why its a problem, to be sure, bring it in, let them have a look, document it, and u should be covered.

Both Peekay & myself have spoken to our dealer regards the cars refusal to go into some gears at times, not so much the notchiness. As the dealership is also a Honda dealer he was able to say they have had a similiar problem with the S2000.

It would seem that Toyota might not have put in a strong enough clutch in the Sportivo, where it does not quite have the strenght/clamping force for the high reving engine/gearbox combination. Why?... so as to keep from having a heavy clutch pedal.

My car is approaching 25000km and I know for a fact, it is getting worse the more km's I do.

The dealer has lodged an official form with Toyota Japan (not Australia - did not know they could do this) and he says they will here back directly from Japan on this issue as apparenty Japan does/must always reply to this form. The only drawback is it can take a couple of months.

I doubt though I can wait that long so will shortly replace with the TRD clutch and the dealer will do the installation for me.

And then you know what confucious shaohaok says "If you do clutch... A wise man also do Flywheel". With pearls of wisdom like that you have to listen! :D

Both Peekay & myself have spoken to our dealer regards the cars refusal to go into some gears at times, not so much the notchiness. As the dealership is also a Honda dealer he was able to say they have had a similiar problem with the S2000.

It would seem that Toyota might not have put in a strong enough clutch in the Sportivo, where it does not quite have the strenght/clamping force for the high reving engine/gearbox combination. Why?... so as to keep from having a heavy clutch pedal.

My car is approaching 25000km and I know for a fact, it is getting worse the more km's I do.

The dealer has lodged an official form with Toyota Japan (not Australia - did not know they could do this) and he says they will here back directly from Japan on this issue as apparenty Japan does/must always reply to this form. The only drawback is it can take a couple of months.

I doubt though I can wait that long so will shortly replace with the TRD clutch and the dealer will do the installation for me.

And then you know what confucious shaohaok says "If you do clutch... A wise man also do Flywheel". With pearls of wisdom like that you have to listen! :D

No point clutching if there is no pressure on the undone fly... :rolleyes:

No point clutching if there is no pressure on the undone fly... :rolleyes:

But how do you get pressure on an undone fly.. aren't our cars designed to generate pressure on the done-up fly?

Smutty double-entendre aside, I've noticed my clutch losing it a bit after about 17000km. I've never driven a car in traffic as crap as Sydney though, so maybe it's just normal and I'm expecting more than I should. I'll mention it on the 20k service anyway.

I think the gear cable's just started rattling too.. *sigh*.

- Matthew

Does that mean i can get Toyota to put in another clutch or at least fix the clutch for me under warranty since i had the shifting difficulty since day 1. I do feel the clutch pedal in the Stivo vibrates a little more than other cars i have driven.

that was about 4 weeks ago..... when i was prepared to buy it cash but "oh we sold it last week"

Confirmed Melbourne City Toyota have a few Corolla Sportivo's.

Their advertised price is $25650*, Herald Sun, Friday 13th of Aug, Page 39.

oh noz this post made me cry haha only $3000 if only i had of known i would have quite happily drove to Melbourne :(