IHI VF23 turbo at 7.5psi.

Apexi PFC

Custom exhaust and manifold

GT-r intercooler

525cc/min injectors

Fuel pump high-capacity Walbro 255lph

tuning

=

1ZZ delivered 216 wheel-hp and 198lb-ft of torque, an amazing increase of 100 more hp, especially considering the low 7.5psi boost pressure.

Interesting

:P

• 1 month later...

Has anyone turboed the 1ZZ FE engine in a corolla here in aus ?

Or is this an highly expensive unworthwile task ?

yes .... there was one on sale on ebay in melb not long ago and also i believe there is one floating around in canberra .... other than that i have heard rumours of a few driving around .....

regard cost ..... well it all depends where u wanna stop .... do u simply bolt a turbo kit in and get a piggy back n hope for the best ???? or do u upgrade ur fuel system (both pump and injectors), get a stand alone ecu ???? do u crack the engine open and to play it safe drop the compression and rebuild everything 2 run more boost ???? what about surrounding support mechanisms i.e. clutch, gearbox, diff, sussy, brakes etc ???? cost all depends on how far u want to take ur project .....

personally i'd rather build something that works all round rather than a high speed death trap ......

Has this been brought up before??

Im currently doing the homewrk in costs in regards to supercharging/turbocharging,the supercharger option in my opinion in cheaper & cheaper to run,as the turbocharger because its constantly priming or boosting has a tendency for more wear & tear than the latter,this all matters if we've properly covered the cooling & exhaust aspects,speaking with my guys in the racing & modifications game A standalone ecu is recommended, for a piggy back system doesnt seem to cover all the aspects of mapping & has more options for adjustments..

In terms of power the supercharger might be a lil underpowered compared to the turbo but personally ide rather be safe & keep the compression to a managable pressure becoz at first, ide keep the internals stock until its time to upgrade.there is less welding or fabricating for the supercharging bear in mind how big do you want your intercooler?? :whistling: and how do want it fitted v mount or front mounted? just like xoom sed how far do you wanna go??

let me just say if the basic setup is properly done & prep(CAIs,2 1/4 exhaust systems,upgraded electrical systems ie battery etc) which ive noticed many of our members are more than equipped all it takes is a lil lottery win or a windfall to get the ballgame started.. thats in an unbeleevable increase in power sounds fun

Has anyone turboed the 1ZZ FE engine in a corolla here in aus ?

Or is this an highly expensive unworthwile task ?

yes .... there was one on sale on ebay in melb not long ago and also i believe there is one floating around in canberra .... other than that i have heard rumours of a few driving around .....

regard cost ..... well it all depends where u wanna stop .... do u simply bolt a turbo kit in and get a piggy back n hope for the best ???? or do u upgrade ur fuel system (both pump and injectors), get a stand alone ecu ???? do u crack the engine open and to play it safe drop the compression and rebuild everything 2 run more boost ???? what about surrounding support mechanisms i.e. clutch, gearbox, diff, sussy, brakes etc ???? cost all depends on how far u want to take ur project .....

personally i'd rather build something that works all round rather than a high speed death trap ......

“What about a stand alone fuel management system …. Its not a bad way to spend $10,000”

Running turbo set up

engine

Forged internals

upgrade fuel pump and injectors

custom manifold (or off the shelf if available)

turbo t28 (same turbo on 200sx high flowed)

intercooler and BOV

Tuning

Apexi power fc or something your tuner is confident using.

Handling and braking

brake upgrade all round

coilovers and sway bars uprade front and back

strut braces

Im sure theres more to it than that and it seems to cost alot more than 10k with many little things

left out.

Running turbo set up

engine

Forged internals

upgrade fuel pump and injectors

custom manifold (or off the shelf if available)

turbo t28 (same turbo on 200sx high flowed)

intercooler and BOV

Tuning

Apexi power fc or something your tuner is confident using.

Handling and braking

brake upgrade all round

coilovers and sway bars uprade front and back

strut braces

Im sure theres more to it than that and it seems to cost alot more than 10k with many little things

left out.

You need to speak to Glenn, he's not on the forums much but his username is "whiterolla" he will give u the shock reality of your plans

I've spent the last 5 years playing around with boosted fwd SR20's!!! Having done a few conversions i reckon ro11as list looks the goods!!!

If you're on stock internals I'd stick to 7 - 10psi no more.

If you're stuck for intercooler options you could consider water/ metho injection but then again its easier to pick up a cooler and have it piped up.

Any ecu like power fc that has the base programme in it is gonna put you miles ahead and make driving your car a better experience having cold start, etc already sorted out.

Ideally I'd have an oil cooler on board for a bolt on set up too.