Poor Performance in the Stivo

O.K... The stivos done just under 4,500KM and I have to say that a) Handlings getting worse B) Stivo seems to have lost some zip over the last month or so.

I don't thrash her.... Has anyone else had issues with power/ performance/suspension in their stivo? (after purchase).

I have spoken to the boys at Toyota (QLD) and they tell me "The cars operating within normal limits" I have also raised the issue about gear selection getting steadily more difficult and I get "Its a particular characteristic of the car as it beds in"

I am beginning to think that I may need to get a second opinion.... and perhaps start making some noise to Toyota Customer Care?

The cars due for the 5000KM service so maybe I'll wait and see. It will also be interesting to see whether they perform the recall mods as part of the service -- though to date the dealerships I have spoken to have been extremely vague.

Suggestions/Comments greatly appreciated.

You sure you have not just gotten used to the "LIFT" experience? :P So what symptoms are you getting regarding the engine, suspension and gearshift? I do have a "locking up" shifter at around 8000rpm, not sure if that is the characteristic you are mentioning?

I had problems with the handling the front shocks basicaly started making thumping noises every time I hit a bump. But I am lucky cos the dealer is a friend no questions asked they ordered new shocks for the front. Toyota have revised the front shocks to a different version to that what was supplied with the car. This was done yesterday bye bye noise. I was going to replace the shocks with Konis or simular, but due to the fact the gear change is shocking have decided to get the TRD clutch instead so did the warranty on the shocks. I and Stewart and have spoken to our dealer friend who has lodged a complaint with Toyota Japan by passing Toyota Australia. But it looks like both of us are going to get the TRD clutches and Flywheels sooner than planned. According to Shao the clutch fixes the changing issue (hope I am quoting you right mate).

I had problems with the handling the front shocks basicaly started making thumping noises every time I hit a bump. But I am lucky cos the dealer is a friend no questions asked they ordered new shocks for the front. Toyota have revised the front shocks to a different version to that what was supplied with the car. This was done yesterday bye bye noise. I was going to replace the shocks with Konis or simular, but due to the fact the gear change is shocking have decided to get the TRD clutch instead so did the warranty on the shocks. I and Stewart and have spoken to our dealer friend who has lodged a complaint with Toyota Japan by passing Toyota Australia. But it looks like both of us are going to get the TRD clutches and Flywheels sooner than planned. According to Shao the clutch fixes the changing issue (hope I am quoting you right mate).

Quite a few guys are having problems with the shock absorbers it seems. Hey Peekay, maybe we can also organise a group buy with Bruce for the TRD Clutch & Flywheel? I was also wondering if the TRD clutch and pressure plate will work with the standard flywheel for those not opting for the lightweight flywheel. I might have to ask Bruce personally.

Well i had the same problem also with the shocks.... the reason was because they were leaking...... Now this is a warranty issue.. and will be replaced free of charge regarless who u know..

The gear problem will be fixed as soon as there is a solution regardless who u know.

Brake problem will be fixed........ regardless who u know..

the only thing who u know will aid u is.. that the job will get done on your first or 2nd visit in to service, if dont know anyone might take longer depends how nice they r... etc etc... <-- this info is from experience... now i have made friends with the service manager hehehehhe lol. :D

You sure you have not just gotten used to the "LIFT" experience? :P So what symptoms are you getting regarding the engine, suspension and gearshift? I do have a "locking up" shifter at around 8000rpm, not sure if that is the characteristic you are mentioning?

Nope.... I don't think the problem is caused by "Getting used to lift".... I remember how the car first drove when I got her and now she seems to rev but go nowhere :( and sometimes your in a low gear like 1st/second (nowhere near the rev limiter) power drops out.

RE: The suspension -- she seems to float around (can't explain it better than that I am afraid) and I definitely get the knocking noise when left cornering.

When changing from 1-2,2-3 the gears don't seem to engage smoothly even when I am changing at 4-5K. I am going to have a serious talk to the services boys and get a senior toyota mechanic in the car with me. Hopefully he/she then understand what I am talking about.

My car has now just under 25 thousand and its still moody as in sometimes its smooth sometimes its a prick to shift smoothly. The mechanical components in this car seem to be altered by external conditions too much. Its totally unacceptably by Toyotas standards. Not happy Jan!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

I will add:

Sporthatch141, I think you will constantly notice a small drop in performance as the oil gets the kays up.

When mine is getting close to service (say around 7 to 8000 kays) the power does drop off just slightly, but enuf to notice!!

Change oil and wow, the maximum buzz is back :P

Also, did you change your oil at 1,000kays??

Regularly checking the oil for such hi-rev engine is very important. The 2ZZ-GE is pretty much the same as VTEC engine, the lift requires oil. So check your oil regularly and you will be happy :) Every 5000km, I suggest u check the oil and change the oil if you've been driving it hard.

Sportshatch141 check with your dealer about the oil change as they could have put in some crappy stuff or skipped the change altogether. With the suspension, its the "Characteristic" shock absorber problem that some guys here have already experienced. Get Toyota to do a warranty job on that. And with the gear shifting i strongly believe its due to something with the clutch assembly. The clutch felt wierd to me from day 1 with a little more vibration through the pedal than other cars i have owned. I am also going to see if i can get this done under warranty. I have written numerous emails to TMCA and so far the customer relations manager have offered me to get my car tested by a regional representative. I have been quite blunt and demanding with them because my patience is running thin and i will see how they respond.

Get these probelms fixed under warranty mate, that's why we bought a NEW car.

Sportshatch141 check with your dealer about the oil change as they could have put in some crappy stuff or skipped the change altogether. With the suspension, its the "Characteristic" shock absorber problem that some guys here have already experienced. Get Toyota to do a warranty job on that. And with the gear shifting i strongly believe its due to something with the clutch assembly. The clutch felt wierd to me from day 1 with a little more vibration through the pedal than other cars i have owned. I am also going to see if i can get this done under warranty. I have written numerous emails to TMCA and so far the customer relations manager have offered me to get my car tested by a regional representative. I have been quite blunt and demanding with them because my patience is running thin and i will see how they respond.

Get these probelms fixed under warranty mate, that's why we bought a NEW car.

Today I have been officially notified by my Toyota Service mob that

a) They suggest I contact Toyota Customer Care and discuss my issues; allowing for a faster resolution.

B) My car goes in for the recall mods today week.

c) They don't have the number for Toyota Customer Care and I should refer to my owners manual (what the !).

Good to see that with the focus currently being levelled at the sportivo that they are bending over backwards to be of assistance. :(

sporthatch141 lucky u, your servicing guys are moving fast, i just rang up to schedule my 12 month service, wanting to get the recall done at the same time (save me a trip down there) and they said that they cant do it, until the letters get sent out, so i'm going to put off my service until that happens.

also, do u guys bring your own oil to them? i'm not sure exactly wot vvtli oil is, thats wot they put in last time, wot do u recommend i do? and wot oil should i buy/request. thanks in advanced!

sporthatch141 lucky u, your servicing guys are moving fast, i just rang up to schedule my 12 month service, wanting to get the recall done at the same time (save me a trip down there) and they said that they cant do it, until the letters get sent out, so i'm going to put off my service until that happens.

also, do u guys bring your own oil to them? i'm not sure exactly wot vvtli oil is, thats wot they put in last time, wot do u recommend i do? and wot oil should i buy/request. thanks in advanced!

Well things just got a little more interesting. While the car has been booked in for Monday next week, TCC were surprised because they indicated they doubted the dealer had the parts ! I am awaiting a call back from the dealer...

RE: Oil

According to my service report for 1000K service they put in the Castrol GTX2 full synthetic oil.

It varies from dealer to dealer, my dealer only uses 10W30 Mineral based VVTi oil not VVTLi. They put that in my car at 1000km before i bought Castrol 5W30 Synthetic. I am not returning to that dealer anymore because i have sort of boiled over with their service.

Richi,

I'm under the impression most Toyota dealers use the toyota vvtl-i oil, which is a semi synthetic, and some smaller dealers may choose to use their own spec of oil- ie the castrol full synthetic.

I only change the oil every 10,000, but I give them mobil 1 to put in, being a good oil, it runs to 10,000 no dramas.

If I was changing oil every 5,000, I'd go for a good quality semi synthetic.

But oil's a personal choice!! :P

Well things just got a little more interesting. While the car has been booked in for Monday next week, TCC were surprised because they indicated they doubted the dealer had the parts ! I am awaiting a call back from the dealer...

According to my service report for 1000K service they put in the Castrol GTX2 full synthetic oil.

GTX 2 is a mineral oil - not synthetic. Futron and GTX Magnatec is semi synthetic.

Also, the TMC approved oil is GTX 2

GTX 2 is a mineral oil - not synthetic. Futron and GTX Magnatec is semi synthetic.

Also, the TMC approved oil is GTX 2

What's the viscosity? 10W30? then it would be the same as the mineral based VVTi oil used by some delears. It comes in a green bottle.

There is no scheduled 1000km or 5000km service. The first is highly recommended after running in, the second is recommended if running in 'extreme' coinditions (dusty, repeated short trips, racing, etc).

From what I remember of the service manual, they don't even recommend a time interval (e.g. 6 or 12 months), just dservice at 10,000km intervals.

That being said, my dealer is doing the scheduled services, I do in between oil and filter changes.

Haven't had any suspension problems or noticed lack of performance with older oil (but it's never been more than 5,000km old...)