Recall is now Official

I rang My dealer, they are aware of the issue, however they are waiting on more details. I rang the Toyota Customer Service, and i was told that all registered sportivo owners should receive a letter in 1 to 2 weeks regarding the changes. There are no safety issues to be concerned about regarding the car.

Yep spoke to my service centre and they booked the car in for next week. Called TCC on another issue with the car and mentioned that it was going in for the recall mods and they were surprised (initially they weren't aware of the recall) because after some checking it would appear that the majority of dealers would NOT have the parts.

Just called the service department at wollongong toyota and they are "UNAWARE OF ANY RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  :angry:  :angry:

Has anyone else called their dealer???

Im booked in for Tue for my 20K service, the parts guy is doing what he can to find out about this for me and will do it on Tue while the service is done providing A ) head office confirm the plans and B ) he can get the new parts in in time.

Im also with Wollongong toyota :)

Just spoke with Chatswood Toyota Service Center, they confirmed that the recal is offical and people should be getting a letter in the next week or 2. However they said that it was only to do with the Air Cleaner Cap not the engine control computer. Though it was a receptionist that I spoke to so I will confirm it with the Service Techs to make sure.

Guys. does anything seem fishy to you? why would a lack of engine power trigger action from ADR over engine noise? unless its the other way around. be weary guys. they may be playing games. Generally speaking, to make things quieter would mean a loss in power right? so does that mean they have a more restrictive airbox and detuned ECU in store? Hmmm interesting. I don't mean to stir the pot but just wanted everyone to keep their heads up and play it safe.

If for instance, they came out and stated that the engine is too loud by Australian Design regulation for a "non sportscar" and all owners now have to return their cars for de-tuning. what kind of reaction do you think they would get? (rhorical question :P ) i have some reservations about this whole "free upgrade" sounds a little fishy.

Just spoke to the service manager at my dealer and he had no IDEA

it was the first he had heard of it and needed to take my details down so he could confirm on his end what was happening

WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!! <_<

Poor Form from Toyota ...........

Also good point qkslvr

Guys. does anything seem fishy to you? why would a lack of engine power trigger action from ADR over engine noise? unless its the other way around. be weary guys. they may be playing games. Generally speaking, to make things quieter would mean a loss in power right? so does that mean they have a more restrictive airbox and detuned ECU in store? Hmmm interesting. I don't mean to stir the pot but just wanted everyone to keep their heads up and play it safe.

If for instance, they came out and stated that the engine is too loud by Australian Design regulation for a "non sportscar" and all owners now have to return their cars for de-tuning. what kind of reaction do you think they would get? (rhorical question :P ) i have some reservations about this whole "free upgrade" sounds a little fishy.

We will know because that would also mean they have to republish the actual power figure for the Stivo.

well the new stivo still advertised with 141 kw and have been upgraded.... so i doubt that.. and the guys in SA have said they felt slight improvement in mid power so i doubt it once again. And i have spoken to a service manager at toyota and he as confirmed to me that the stivo is slightly underpowered and the recall will take place soon, so once again i doubt they will reduce our current pwr... but always good to hear a way off point of view :blink:

The reason it was hit for breach of noise regulations has previously been posted. In Australia a car with a at the flywheel figure of less than 140kw must conform to very strictnoise regulations, a engine with over 140kw has a muck higher noise regulation. (Try driving a few other 140kw+ vehicles - an older type are for example - and the engine is noisier.

The problem Toyota faces is as the car was supposed to be it met all noise requirements but as the car has fallen short on specified power it had to be retested at the much more strict regulation.

Trust me it is much easier and cheaper for Toyota to make sure the power figure meet 140kw as to get the car to come under the sub 140kw regulations. To lower the noise level they would need to drop the rev limit considerably and they cannot hide that and redo the exhaust at minimum.

Besides Toyota's legal team would not allow them to fake/lie about a recall to secretly detune cars. The lawsuits they would be open too and the volume of fines that would come from the goverment would be unthinkable. They are not that stupid!

And no they do not fly in black helicopters or have a crashed alien spacecraft at their headquarters :o

Just chill out a little. If you are so concerned spend your money and have your car put on the same dyno before and after to put your mind at ease. I think I will keep my $150 to $200 and put towards the bulk of some C1 wings :D :D :D

hey fellas i went down to werribee toyota today and the service guy said the power recall was only on yard stock.

His attitude stunk, so i said, Hows about the rattle and they booked my car in for next week to get the struts changed, they say that is a recall.

hey fellas i went down to werribee toyota today and the service guy said the power recall was only on yard stock.

His attitude stunk, so i said, Hows about the rattle and they booked my car in for next week to get the struts changed, they say that is a recall.

The Guy has no idea what he is talking about there definitly is an ecu change. As defined in another post the following from a Goverment recall site. Thanks Bill for the web site. They are recalling all cars.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/

Look at recalls last 30 days.

Date: 12/08/2004

Supplier: Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited

Category: Motor Vehicles

Product Info: Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE (Campaign 4529E). Produced between 4 March 2002 and 21 April 2004.

Defect details: The engine was assembled with incorrect air cleaner cap and engine control computers. As a result the vehicle does not match the specification covered by its approval to ECE Regulation 51/02 and hence may not comply with ADR 83/00 External Noise.

Consumer action: Contact your authorised Toyota Dealer.

Make: Toyota

Model: Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE

Target Number: 1637

Model Years From: 4 March 2002 and 21 April 2004

Consequences: Engine was assemblied with incorrect air cleaner cap and engine control computer.

Campaign Number: 4529E

hey guys,

i calld my dealer 2day n my car is bookd for the recall...i jst talkd to the service person at werribee, n i askd if i cud book it, n dey told me the earliest wud b dis friday, but im takin mine next monday...hopefulli dey hab the parts n everything will b fine...i jst want alil more power btw low revs...we'll see how things turn out...