CAI and insurance

Hi guys and gals,

Just a quickie regarding regarding installation of a CAI and insurance companies and claims. While there is a constant debate about whether they are legal or void warrantees, it is also prudent to inquire with your insurance company if it will void your cover.

I was on the verge of buying a CAI, and asked my insurer (WQBE) as to whether it would be a problem. Long story short: yes. Despite the fact I don't think with their collective knowledge know what a CAI is or does, the fact is it attracted an increase of $1000 towards my excess. Note not the annual cover fee, but only if a claim is made.

If you attach a CAI without their knowledge, and have an accident or have your car stolen, WQBE WILL NOT cover you. You lose a ~$25000-$30000 car all for a ~$300-500 CAI. Not worth it in my opinion.

Naturally, you can shop around and state said modifications, but always remember to check with insurers before you mod to see if you are 1) still covered and 2) if your excess will increase.

Damn bloodsuckers. Over a decade I have never claimed.

Those with CAIs, you are officially envied.

Edited by theDefiant1

I'm with AAMI

(19 year old, green P Plater - insurance is about $1250 with me as primary driver)

I put in a CAI, but rang them up before and asked, they said its not an issue - and added it to my policy

(with AAMI they let you have 2 free modifications before you might have to pay for additional ones)

it all depends on the insurer

Change insurers mate.

Cancel your current policy, obtain a pro-rata refund for what you havent used premium wise, and find an insurer that doesn't have their head in their *****.

Hope this helps

JC

Thanks for the info.

My insurance is bundled at the moment, but when the time comes for renewal, I will look around - probably come back to the forum and ask who the best insurer is.

WQBE hasn't given me any troubles, but they are a bit anal retentive. I wonder if I tell them AAMIs quote they will try match it to keep competitive...

Time to have fun!

I wouldnt worry about your package/bundle. Shop around now. You might find that what you save in your bundle now, you could be saving with a different insurer that does allow CAI.

We have had myriads of threads about insurance before, but for the record...

31 year old,

male,

driving 14 years,

no claims,

No traffic offences last 5 years,

MODS:

Lowered, (equal to not more than 30mm)

Cold Air,

17's, (equal to not more than 7" width)

Exhaust,

Tint

Agreed value $27,750

$583.14 with a $450 excess

NRMA FTW :yahoo:

Tell them you're taking your bundle elsewhere.

Then take your bundle elsewhere.

Life is too short to miss out on induction noise in a car that revs past 8000RPM - especially if we're past Peak Oil :blink:

on a tangent here, but would TRD branded mods void your warranty? Because it's Toyota it shouldn't right?wrong?

Im not going to answer this question.

Sorry mate, this issue has been discussed bucketloads of times before

I wouldnt worry about your package/bundle. Shop around now. You might find that what you save in your bundle now, you could be saving with a different insurer that does allow CAI.

We have had myriads of threads about insurance before, but for the record...

31 year old,

male,

driving 14 years,

no claims,

No traffic offences last 5 years,

MODS:

Lowered, (equal to not more than 30mm)

Cold Air,

17's, (equal to not more than 7" width)

Exhaust,

Tint

Agreed value $27,750

$583.14 with a $450 excess

NRMA FTW :yahoo:

$583.14 thats so cheap!!!!

You must live in the safest low risk suburb in Australia.

Im over 25 no fines no claims and am paying $960 though I do live in a crap area in Sydney.

Im over 25 no fines no claims and am paying $960 though I do live in a crap area in Sydney.

$960 thats cheap!!!

i pay $1200 for 2003 corolla sedan with no mods!!! (PostCode 2115 low risk area too) :o

over 25, no fines, 8 years driving exp wtf

Edited by neK

Riiiiight

Then it would be a surprise to say that i'm paying $400 comp cover, with a $400 excess. Sure it's bundled, but that's still pretty damn cheap! Agreed value is $27120.

WQBe FTW?

Riiiiight

Then it would be a surprise to say that i'm paying $400 comp cover, with a $400 excess. Sure it's bundled, but that's still pretty damn cheap! Agreed value is $27120.

WQBe FTW?

Its cheap because they obviously dont budge on mods. Im more than happy to pay an extra $300 per year over what you pay so I can have . . . . . . CAI, Konis, Springs, Alpine Audio etc etc etc etc.

Horses for courses, if you dont want to mod your car, WQBE FTW, if you do . . . . . then you know the answer.

Riiiiight

WQBe FTW?

Its cheap because they obviously dont budge on mods. Im more than happy to pay an extra $300 per year over what you pay so I can have . . . . . . CAI, Konis, Springs, Alpine Audio etc etc etc etc.

Horses for courses, if you dont want to mod your car, WQBE FTW, if you do . . . . . then you know the answer.

Very true - point taken. I think my philosophy these days is to wait and see what happens in 2008 with respect to work. If work is good and pays more, then the rolla is my oyster and i will spend all that is necessary for it to reach its true potential (play moving music in the background!).

I guess in the mean time, the car is stock and i'm saving up for the mods. It's a nice compromise for now. When I figure out what is going on, i will return to this thread and ask which companies are offering the best deals by you guys (keeping in mind the car will be in perth by then), and so it will begin...

$960 thats cheap!!!

i pay $1200 for 2003 corolla sedan with no mods!!! (PostCode 2115 low risk area too) :o

over 25, no fines, 8 years driving exp wtf

woaahhh OMG!!

$1200

$960

$583.14!!!

THEY ARE ALL SO CHEAP!!! LOL

i pay $1700 for my 05 sportivo with full list of mods

but then again AM 20!!

:lol::lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HEY HOWS IT GOING

this is getting bit weird for me sorry for this is a bit old buh ... i rang up NRMA .. n i asked them if they covered CAIS and they go that they DOnt cover it ... WAT THE F *** i was so tempted in getting one so badly .. buh they go they dont cover it im like .. to myself hang on how come i heard they they do.... .

someone please verify me on this

thanks

anthony

I just rang NRMA

CAI is only not allowed for Turbo or Supercharged vehicles but is allowed naturally aspired vehicles the initial representative didn't have a clue so she rang another department adn they let her know

she even added it onto my policy and it didn't increase the premiums at all

so in short NRMA will cover the CAI if your nto driving a turbo or supercharger

:)

• 7 months later...

sorry to bring an older thread up. but I know that you all hate new threads when there is one right there.

Im paying monthly $158.34 = $1900.20 a year for my 05 sportivo with TRD CAi and full sound system worth around $3800 all insured for $28500.

Im with AAMI and im 21. But the thing is, they only allow that 1 modification listed being the CAI, they wont let me do any other mods like lowering which i would like to do because then i can list it and in case of an accident, they will void my insurance.

OHh and my Excess is $1100. If they could list 2 modifiactions, will b awsome. But then they will say go to Justcar which are ripoffs

Justcar are the only people who would insure me..... i paid $900 with excess of $1,200. I'm 23

I've got CAI, tint, lowered, 18", pioneer touch sceen 6 stack CD/DVD/TV, extractors ( i think that's it)

so i didn't think that was to bad.......

I know in Victoria we can't have pod filters and they have to be enclosed(correct me if im wrong)..

For the guys in Vic, if you have pod filters.. is there a way of making it legal with the pod so in the case of an accident, you would be covered?

Also, when you called to get your policy.. did you let them know the cold air intake has a pod filter and isnt enclosed?

im not from victortia but when i was on the phone with AAMI talling them i got a CAI in, i tried 2 explain what it is but they wouldnt understand, so i just said Air Filter and thats what they put on my policy.

In sydney its gotta be enclosed also, if police pull you over and check it and they know what they are looking for, they can defect it.

Good thing about the TRD CAI, you can barely see the filter, cos it goes in the guard.