Post Recall Mods -- Where's Lift

O.K so my car went in for the recall mods today. Yep the accelleration is smoother and I'd agree with the comment RE: Perceptible torque increase between 4-6000 revs.

The engine is significantly quieter but I gotta ask - what has happened to LIFT??

Pre recall when you got lift it was very evident - noticeable engine pitch change and of course the characteristic surge. Post recall mods hitting lift is nowhere near as noticeable. It's a stocka stivo -- anyone else with a stock stivo of the same opinion??

Is this the expected behaviour and am I just being overly sensitive???

I have to say (rightly or wrongly) that I used the feedback from lift to change gears -- with it nowhere near as evident I feel like a fish out of water.

I really would appreciate peoples comments/feedback.

On a side note I had been complaining about the car 'floating' around over the road. On investigation by the service guys it would appear that my steering arm was 'quite loose'. What 'quite loose' means I am uncertain as the Toyota mechanic was vague to say the least. The knocking noise (on cornering) that was evident has also disappeared and the car seems more stable on the road.

PRE Recall you went from a weak 4-6k rpm then felt a big rush on high cam between 6-8k rpm.

Now its a strong 4-6 then lift hits and the transition between the two cam timings is smoother.

Thats why i think you dont feel 'lift' kick in as hard.

When I drove Peekays car with the Unichip Lift never felt as noticeable as mine without the unichip. This is because the unichip fixes the torque hole from 4000-6000 as side to side Peekays certainly was quicker than mine.

With the unichip the cars timing is advanced to approx 27 degrees where as standard is about 21. The new ECU is advancing the timing to 24 degrees so is doing about half of what the unichip dos to a standard stivo, hence filling in the torque hole somewhat and taking away some of that noticeable engagement point.

And yes the unichip will still be worth it especially if you have other mods as you will be able to tune them into the car fully something the new ECU does not do!

Thanks for the reply guys. I took the car for an early morning drive today and I was impressed by the overall changes to the car made by the new ECU etc. My stivo is leased and the lease company won't let me add a unichip or CAI (which sucks) so I guess I'll just have to wait.......

i was witness to a pre and a post recall race last nite and the results were mixed.

i did notice that lift in the recalled car didnt feel as urgent as before and it did seem quieter. both cars had CAI and one had trd extractors and the other a cat back xhuast. i ll let the guys give u better feedback them selves as i was the marshall at this particular mock drag.

:D

I just got my car back, but I was in heavy traffic .. so no fun yet.

Cant wait till i get off work :)

but I do agree with everyone who had it done, the torque hole is gone. *thumbs up* thus lift is not as noticable....

It has been raining here all day so it hasnt been the best day to get the recall work done. But needless to say in the wet the wheels spin when im in a straight line now when i put the foot down in 2nd gear.....and 3rd almost looses grip (WITHOUT LIFT!!!!) :blink:

Certainly feels like there is almost a new mid range cam when you are between 4000 - 6000 RPM.

Havent had a chance to play in lift yet due to the weather. I will save that for the weekend ;)

So far I'm impressed. Feels like a new car altogether. 8 out of 10 rating so far with dry tests to come :D

It has been raining here all day so it hasnt been the best day to get the recall work done. But needless to say in the wet the wheels spin when im in a straight line now when i put the foot down in 2nd gear.....and 3rd almost looses grip (WITHOUT LIFT!!!!) :blink:

Certainly feels like there is almost a new mid range cam when you are between 4000 - 6000 RPM.

Havent had a chance to play in lift yet due to the weather. I will save that for the weekend ;)

So far I'm impressed. Feels like a new car altogether. 8 out of 10 rating so far with dry tests to come :D

I second that.

last night in the dry the car went fantastic. In lift in first I was losing traction, the car never did that before. Then I lined it up with my brothers Type-R , something I have done many times in the past, and victory to me all 3 times. His car this time does not get any real jump on me as in the past and in Lift I pull away. He even agreed that in Lift my car pulled away better than before where it used to just nudge away slightly.

In the wet today I could not get any form of traction with more than 1/2 throttle and even in second as the car hits Lift it would instantly break traction and I would have to back off to regain it. Tried to keep it in 2nd once but the car went nowhere and quickly bounced of the rev limiter!

I would have to say the new computer in conjunction with the mods works very, very well.

With the TOMS flywheel on the way and the performance muffler in development I am getting excited as to how hard this car is going to go. Throw the unichip in once the other two things are fitted and the old heart is starting to pound already :unsure:

The engine pulls stronger from as low as 3000, and its soo much stronger from 4000 to 6000. In lift, i reackon it actually feels even better, like its about to rip the front end out. The way it is now, its easily a sub 10 second 0-100 even without using lift, with lift low 7's. I noticed they didnt disconnect my battery and also the air flow meter was changed.

Hi Everyone,

Well I have had the recall mods done on my car. My first impressions is WOW! The car feels so much more responsive and smoother to drive. The power in the mid range revs is sooo much better and there is still the kick in the high end when in Lift. With this added power I am finding it a lot eaiser changing gears as well at high revs and the car is smoother coming out of high revs as well.

I really am glad that Toyota Australia went ahead with this recall. All in all a thumbs up from me!!!

Jesse.

:D

Just got my car back from recall and 20,000km service. ($275)

with the CAI, i can really hear the difference. it's so much more angrier and beefier around 3000-6000, tried lift in third..and it just kept pulling!

I was like...."ok! ok! i'll back off now..going a bit quicker than i had expected".

it's great! so much more response. Oh..and got a full tank of fuel just before service..so i'll also see how the new ecu affects consumption. but...gonna be hammering it for the next 500km..so the ecu knows i'm not a GRANNY! :angry:

in STOCK form..with the recall...what do you reckon the actualy 0-100 times would be? low to mid 8's? mid to high 7's?

Oh, and gear selector cable (fix) has been ordered and is on it's way.

(i thought they weren't available) *shrugs*

Thanx

I love it, it's changed the way i think about this engine and Toyota's customer service, as Steve Irwin would say "CRICKEY!!! AV' A LOOK AT THIS BEAUTY!". Left it in 6th, revs dropped to 2000, and she pulled away soo smooth, no shakes and wining from the engine. I tried to launch from 5 grand and the front end jusr torquesteered left, hit wheelspin and bounced off the limiter leaving a nice pile of tyre smoke behind.

Did you guys get a Plate stamped on the inside just below the door hinge on the drivers side with the date the recall took place???

Just got my car back from recall and 20,000km service. ($275)

with the CAI, i can really hear the difference. it's so much more angrier and beefier around 3000-6000, tried lift in third..and it just kept pulling!

I was like...."ok! ok! i'll back off now..going a bit quicker than i had expected".

it's great! so much more response. Oh..and got a full tank of fuel just before service..so i'll also see how the new ecu affects consumption. but...gonna be hammering it for the next 500km..so the ecu knows i'm not a GRANNY!  :angry:

in STOCK form..with the recall...what do you reckon the actualy 0-100 times would be? low to mid 8's? mid to high 7's?

Oh, and gear selector cable (fix) has been ordered and is on it's way.

(i thought they weren't available) *shrugs*

Thanx

Got my car back last night from recall and 10K service ($123). I love South Australia...

G-tech timed runs pre recall the best I managed was 8.0 flat, with a full tank of gas and a smooth repeatable run. I didn't use high revs to launch or slam through the gears, as wheelspin or missed shifts are hard to replicate and therefore compare between runs.

Hopefully I'll have some post recall times today or tomorrow and then next week, post recall + CAI reinstalled. I'm confident of equalling the 7.7 mark at least...