lowering car -life of stock shocks

i tried searching for this but didn't find any results

If I lower my car (03 stivo) with say king superlows etc, do I need to change the shocks? / will the stock shocks life be significantly shortened?

Edited by steinny72

If I lower my car (03 stivo) with say king superlows etc, do I need to change the shocks? / will the stock shocks life be significantly shortened?

If you lower on kings lows expect about 20 000k's before the inevitable. On super lows you can prolly allow about 15 000k's if your lucky. This also depends on how many k's your car has already done.

and trust me mate...when your shocks died, you sure will get more humping on the car as you drive.its so uncomfy but hey that the risk you gotta take if you want your car to look good. mine humping alot.sway side to side...^_^..im thinking of changing it to coilover but not enough fund yet...well good luck anyway mate.keep us inform.

isnt it the lower you go the shorter life the shocks will have, thats why iam still on stock height, still saving to get the shocks as well as springs

in regard to stock shocks then yes, if you get shocks that are designed for the lower springs then they will be fine for many km's to come, the koni's/super lows on my 1zz are still going strong after 60,000km.

I'm on whiteline lows and stock shocks. They seem to be still working well after 10,000 kms - no leaks yet. If you don't launch over speed humps or do lots of high speed cruises they should last a bit longer.

Man around 20K lifespan for shocks on a lowered car, :o geez, thats like a year and a half driving for me. If its only gonna last that long might as well get a proper setup.

So are coil overs a guaranteed solution?

Ie if you get coil overs they will last HEAPS longer? ie how many KM will coils last for?

other thing is that with the more popular coilovers you can have them serviced that gives them a new lease on life

Ive done 25K on my stock shocks with whitellines, but yeah expect them to die soon. Updrading to D2 coilvers soon, since koni shocks will cost nearly the same as D2 coilovers (check out group buy section if you wanna go D2s)

Northy, are you still running stock shocks?

are yo going strong on your stock shocks after 60,000km/h or where they aftermarket. if so what brand?

my old 1zz rolla (sold it to my sister) is still going strong on super low springs and koni shocks, i have Cusco Zero 2 coilovers in my sportivo

If you lower on kings lows expect about 20 000k's before the inevitable. On super lows you can prolly allow about 15 000k's if your lucky. This also depends on how many k's your car has already done.

I got superlow's, my fronts went about 2000km .. rears are still quiet good, maybe 30,000km. i replaced the fronts with koni's, planning to change the rears shortly

The stock shocks have a certain tolerance. They will be ok with a 35mm drop which is what King Low, WhiteLine, Eibach Pro etc will give.

Any more such as going to King Superlows they will be out of that working tolerance, so immediately they wont be as effective and also wont last very long.

The stock shocks have a certain tolerance. They will be ok with a 35mm drop which is what King Low, WhiteLine, Eibach Pro etc will give.

Any more such as going to King Superlows they will be out of that working tolerance, so immediately they wont be as effective and also wont last very long.

I agree with IZZ-FE this was my understanding also

I agree with IZZ-FE this was my understanding also

Prior to gettin me King Lows installed i went to 3 diff places, and all three said that shocks sagging wouldn't happen...? :huh:

My mate drove my car through some twisty roads at high speed and said that the stock shocks are a bit soft for lowered springs. Believe me, this guy can drive and double clutch, and I nearly shiat myself sitting in the passenger seat.

It depends on the application and this is what you have to decide on and look at whether it's worth your while to spend the $$$

Stock Shocks and Upgraded Springs - Better around Town and the odd spirited drive and good looks.

Upgraded Shocks and Upgraded Springs - Better around Town and the occasional track day/touge run.

Coilovers - Dedicated Track Whore.

So the way I see it, if your car spends most of its time in and around town and you just want looks, save yourself the money and only upgrade what you HAVE to. But if you want more out of your car, you have to spend more on your suspension.

Im running King Superlows and KYB shocks. The stock shocks were at the end of their life so i upgraded. After the research i did i found that they were best for the price, i didnt need Konis because the only time my car will see the track is from the car park. Even if these shocks die i can still buy another set and have money in my pocket compared to the price of Konis.

I totally agree with IZZ-FE, get what need, no point forking out $2500 for Cusco's and not drive the car on the track because on the street your not going use them to their full potiential and your better off with a spring/shock combo and spend the money on something else...

I agree with Carlo, I sold my Konis cos I realise that I'm probably never really going to bring my car to the track and the cost doesn't justify the means.

I've done about 20k+ on my stock shocks and they are still fine.