ZR6 Halogen Lights to HID 6000K

This is one of those discussions that goes on heaps in pretty much every car forum...

In short, it is not a good idea to put HID in a system not designed for it. This is for a number of reasons:

1) Void warranty

2) Original lens damaged from increased heat

3) Ballasts less resistant to moisture

4) Extremely high voltage

5) HID has a different light pattern than halogen and will create significant glare if installed into a halogen lens

6) Auto-levelling I have heard is a requirement for HID kits, as it is the edges of HID lights that create the glare.

I came across these links some time ago in another forum:

HID - Disadvantages

HID - Conversions FAQ

HID - General FAQ

I have nearly had a number of accidents in the past due to converted HID kits... one such experience driving in Mount Dandenong with some hoon behind me tailgating the whole way... the lights created so much glare I ended up driving around at night with sunglasses on... I literally could not see anything, and couldn't pull over anyway or I would have either ended up down the hill or hit by this guy!!!

HID kits IMO should only come as a stock option when they are designed specifically to be used by the car. In all other cases, just get better halogens!

I believe that not all OEM HIDs have auto-leveling....but they all do have headlight washers!

Might be difficult to make an headlight washer .. :unsure:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that not all OEM HIDs have auto-leveling....but they all do have headlight washers!

Might be difficult to make an headlight washer .. :unsure:

haha yeah that's true about the washers! Although making one can't be too hard, since u can get those wipers from most the old SAAB's for instance ;)

Auto-levelling I wasn't really sure about, but I have heard a number of times that it is becoming standard and possibly maybe a legal requirement in the future as HID becomes more popular, mainly due to the fact that there is significant glare if u get the "edge" of the light. Autolevelling features are advantageous to cut back on this a bit, plus it means the headlights are always on the road rather than facing towards the sky when u are going over hills etc.

• 6 months later...
Guys, ive decided to switch the halogen bulbs inside the front projector style lights to HID 6000K. However, what i am trying to figure out is that, by changing simply the bulb to HID 6000K bulb, will it work? Or do i have to change the whole electrical light system altogether to get the HIDs working. Does anybody know how to get that changed or installed? I look at the presara's and the only thing appearing different is the bulb inside the projector and that it autolevels when driving. Im confused as i dont know if i need to buy the whole hid kit or just the hid bulb. Any advices???

exter_photo_03.jpgsafety_photo_06.gif

You need to get the HID Kit, I got my sx6 upgrade to 4300k Mtec HID kit for just $300. I bought it from http://www.onspire.com very good quality. Plus it is easy to install. Good luck with your new HID.

1) Void warranty

5) HID has a different light pattern than halogen and will create significant glare if installed into a halogen lens

6) Auto-levelling I have heard is a requirement for HID kits, as it is the edges of HID lights that create the glare.

This is a mandatory requirement under the regulations. Any manufacturer that does not have this will have to have all cars recalled.

As for why you shouldn't do it.

- You blind with the glare (don't say there is minimal because some glare is built into standard halogens to light overhead signage hence you see the cut off a little blurry) oncoming cars which increases the chance of them running into you or causing someone else to have an accident (and risk of killing them or yourself).

- You see less as the blue spectrum is the least sensitive to the human eye so you see no more than regular standard halogen

- You blind yourself in these wet weather as the blue reflects back to your eyes.

- You void your own insurance as the car is effectively unroadworthy

Now if you aren't smart enough to work it out, don't do it. All you'll do is create a higher risk of being in and/or causing a major accident with retrofitted kits. But maybe those with them needs to experience something major to work it out...

I've just recently installed a MTEC 5200K HID kit into my car. Installation was a breeze, installed it with a battery relay harness. It's a nice crisp paper white with the teeniest hint of purple, check it out yO! =D

post-3957-1202863289_thumb.jpg

Edited by KT668

I've just recently installed a MTEC 5200K HID kit into my car. Installation was a breeze, installed it with a battery relay harness. It's a nice crisp paper white with the teeniest hint of purple, check it out yO! =D

Looks good mate. I think 5000K ones are the way to go basically, any higher it gets too blue, looks great but no good for visibility, especially in the rain fog etc....

1) Void warranty

This is a mandatory requirement under the regulations. Any manufacturer that does not have this will have to have all cars recalled.

As for why you shouldn't do it.

- You blind with the glare (don't say there is minimal because some glare is built into standard halogens to light overhead signage hence you see the cut off a little blurry) oncoming cars which increases the chance of them running into you or causing someone else to have an accident (and risk of killing them or yourself).

- You see less as the blue spectrum is the least sensitive to the human eye so you see no more than regular standard halogen

- You blind yourself in these wet weather as the blue reflects back to your eyes.

- You void your own insurance as the car is effectively unroadworthy

Other than the legality of this,

I personally belive people who want to use HID should opt for under 5000K. (or 4300K just like any standard OEM car, its more white than yellow, but as the bulb ages, it slowly turns white)

And also, at these colour temp. you get less blue which means you get more light on the road. Just my couple of cents..

yeah 5000k or under for better visability. I wanted to buy 5000k or 6000K but ended up gettin 8000K

as the shop i bought it from didnt have any 5000k/6000K in stock. The visibility for 8000k is better then i thought actually.

not that bad in the rain aswell.

Edited by ZZR88

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just installed a pair of HIDs today. It looks sooo good...............

Fully recommend you guys to install a pair.

Plus they are really cheap these days, around 100 dollars ....

I have always had HIDs in my other car.....they last around yr and a half. For a hundred dollars....not a bad investment.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
here is website which could be one of the members here on forum on how to install hid witth lotsa pics

http://hid.poirus.com.au/

And with that, my thanks go out to 'Aurion ZR6', who also did a writeup on the gear selector mod and reversing camera install. Probably some of the first Aurion DIY's posted here.

here is website which could be one of the members here on forum on how to install hid witth lotsa pics

http://hid.poirus.com.au/

And with that, my thanks go out to 'Aurion ZR6', who also did a writeup on the gear selector mod and reversing camera install. Probably some of the first Aurion DIY's posted here.

Thanks Aurion ZR6 great tuturial

Dj how about you add it to your The TOCAU Aurion FAQ ? or even make it sticky

Azza

• 9 months later...

dragging up an old thread.

I'm looking to get a HID kit for the low beams, but can't decide between the 35w and 55w kits - in both cases they'd be wired through a relay properly.

I could very possibly be moving out west in a few months hence greater night vision is desired, however I'm worried that 55w might be TOO bright whilst I'm around Brisbane in the meantime (considering other road users).

I've had a 35w kit before and it did the job well, but a little bit better couldn't hurt. Anyone here got, or know someone who has got, a 55w HID kit?

I'm looking to get a HID kit for the low beams, but can't decide between the 35w and 55w kits - in both cases they'd be wired through a relay properly.

I could very possibly be moving out west in a few months hence greater night vision is desired, however I'm worried that 55w might be TOO bright whilst I'm around Brisbane in the meantime (considering other road users).

I've had a 35w kit before and it did the job well, but a little bit better couldn't hurt. Anyone here got, or know someone who has got, a 55w HID kit?

Definitely do not get a 55 watt HID kit for your low beams if you are driving around suburbs and the City. The HID's are already brighter than stock halogen bulbs even in the projector lenses. That said, when you put 35 watt HID's in projector lenses, they will 'appear' not that bright, but for other road users.. they definitely aren't. If you put in a 55 watt kit, you will definitely be annoying other road users.

dragging up an old thread.

if by "out west" you're refering to Perth (metro area), you will have no problem. I'm running a phillips 35w 6000k HID kit in my aurion and i find its plenty good enough.