Everything In MODERATION

MAP81

Our Moderating team...  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In light of recent and long standing issues, I think it is only fair that I have my say on these issues and seek the opinions of the more 'general' public, particularly of the corolla section of this forum...

Moderating is a thankless job, and is not something that should be taken for granted, but I believe the moderators should stay objective whether they agree or disagree with another member’s point of view... That’s the price you pay for having the Moderator title....

After speaking to several members who have been around a lot longer than myself I know that this is a common feeling among our corolla community and invite all of you to post you opinions because after all this is a forum and forums are for discussing.....

this tiny little board should be a piece of p!ss to moderate, seems to be a few that cant take constructive criticism though...

Edited by rollamods

Hi Map81,

I am not in the know as to why ur posting this and needless to say probably do not wish to get caught in the nitty gritty details but can i ask what does it achieve by posting this poll other than negativity and resentment between forum members???

As u had indicated u need to be objective whether there is agreement or not.

So as i stand back and look at the question you have asked in this poll from an objective view point i can't see anything positive that it is going to be achieved. All i can see is that it is going to generate more negativity, more hostility and more resentment.

Every cat has its day and needless to say because we r all individuals we share different view points.

But again if u have concerns expressing ur point of view with other forum members then it would be best to be taken offline with the appropriate parties as there is no point in airing this garbage to the entire forum member base as it doesnt achieve anything constructinve.

My objective view point.

Cheers

Bill

Hi Map81,

I am not in the know as to why ur posting this and needless to say probably do not wish to get caught in the nitty gritty details but can i ask what does it achieve by posting this poll other than negativity and resentment between forum members???

As u had indicated u need to be objective whether there is agreement or not.

So as i stand back and look at the question you have asked in this poll from an objective view point i can't see anything positive that it is going to be achieved. All i can see is that it is going to generate more negativity, more hostility and more resentment.

Every cat has its day and needless to say because we r all individuals we share different view points.

But again if u have concerns expressing ur point of view with other forum members then it would be best to be taken offline with the appropriate parties as there is no point in airing this garbage to the entire forum member base as it doesnt achieve anything constructinve.

My objective view point.

Cheers

Bill

Hey xoom,

I would have to disagree with you there where you say "it doesnt achieve anything constructinve" Because if at very least if it makes some of the moderators (not all of them) realise that they have been making "gaping inconsistencies in the policing of these forums" to quote another member, then hopefully there will be more consistant moderating.

The reason for the poll is just that, a poll to get everyones opinion and as the moderators are effectively in control of the forums with the ability to modify and delete our posts, i think it does affect everyone hence the reason for posting...

If causing "negativity and resentment between forum members" arises from this poll then there is nothing i can do about it... because in the long run if all was well on the forum this topic would never have come to exist would it???

But then again this is just my OPINION if I am wrong so be it I have no problem admitting it, but as I said earlier after speaking to other longer serving members I know I am not alone...

Everything is well on the forum, just some people really get offended by small coments and then have to blow things out of proportion. I dont understand that at all, as for inconsistent moderating, well from now on i will just look at the posts i wont post anymore, i will let you guys talk things out, it seems that some of you dont think moderators should express their opinions, then so be it. Adios.

Hi Map81,

Ok i c the angle/point of u that u r indicating. Now u have indicated u r not alone. So please to the others show your view points and let us know how u feel and speak frankly. We r all grown ups here so to those who have a point of view in favour or not in favour of what Map81 has indicated please express it. As all i can c right now is Map81 waving a flag on his own.

If we wish to keep harmony in out forum we must be able to tackle problems head on and sort them out !!!!!

Cheers

Bill

Hey MAP81 you want to be moderator take it have it enjoy I don't care. And once you are moderator I will sit back with a few other members and start making personal attacks on you and after a couple of months we will see how you are managing to be objective or impartial like others have done to me.

Hey MAP81 you want to be moderator take it have it enjoy I don't care. And once you are moderator I will sit back with a few other members and start making personal attacks on you and after a couple of months we will see how you are managing to be objective or impartial like others have done to me.

peekay34,

I have never stated that I wanted to be a moderator nor am I going to. But more to the point Did anyone force you to be a Mod??? I doubt it, the position was most likley offered to you and you would have accepted. In accepting the role you also must take on board the responsibility that comes with it, being objective and impartial. As for the personal attacks if you are so worried about what people type about you on the INTERNET then mabye you have some bigger issues you may need to address... after all it's an internet chat forum not life or death...

peekay34,

I have never stated that I wanted to be a moderator nor am I going to. But more to the point Did anyone force you to be a Mod??? I doubt it, the position was most likley offered to you and you would have accepted. In accepting the role you also must take on board the responsibility that comes with it, being objective and impartial. As for the personal attacks if you are so worried about what people type about you on the INTERNET then mabye you have some bigger issues you may need to address... after all it's an internet chat forum not life or death...

Message edited out by peekay34 as was not gaining anything

It seems there could be pro's and con's for both sides of the coin. I'm not going to take sides on this one as I'm new to this forum and don't know what has happened in the past or how these sort of conflicts are resolved. But I will say this - My perception of a moderator is to keep the forum proactive in encouraging members to help members with info on car related topics. Everyone has an opinion and a right to free speech. But I think some of us need to think before we act(I mean type!) in the way we are quick to tell someone their idea/opinion/info is wrong, but if it's us who is being told we're wrong we are quick to get on our high horse and go on the rampage and tear strips off people who do that. Maybe some of us need to take the log out of our own eye before we take the splinter out of someone else's. Moderator's comments I think should always have the forum's best interests at heart and be as constructive as possibile. By the same token moderators don't know everything and are only human so lets learn to admit that sometimes we're wrong in what we say no matter what the position we hold - whether your just a pleb member like me or the super of super moderators.

The guys who are moderators are there for a reason- they probably know the most about our cars and how to mod them. So lets listen to what they say and show some respect and in return they'll do you the common courtesy and return the favour. Remember we get onto this forum for one reason - that's to chat to people who own the same car as we do. Not to bicker like a bunch of small children fighting over who's the leader and who's got the best car. Just remember he who dies with the most toys still dies. Think about it.

Good luck to whoever sorts this out

SILVABULLIT :D

It seems there could be pro's and con's for both sides of the coin. I'm not going to take sides on this one as I'm new to this forum and don't know what has happened in the past or how these sort of conflicts are resolved. But I will say this - My perception of a moderator is to keep the forum proactive in encouraging members to help members with info on car related topics. Everyone has an opinion and a right to free speech. But I think some of us need to think before we act(I mean type!) in the way we are quick to tell someone their idea/opinion/info is wrong, but if it's us who is being told we're wrong we are quick to get on our high horse and go on the rampage and tear strips off people who do that. Maybe some of us need to take the log out of our own eye before we take the splinter out of someone else's. Moderator's comments I think should always have the forum's best interests at heart and be as constructive as possibile. By the same token moderators don't know everything and are only human so lets learn to admit that sometimes we're wrong in what we say no matter what the position we hold - whether your just a pleb member like me or the super of super moderators.

The guys who are moderators are there for a reason- they probably know the most about our cars and how to mod them.  So lets listen to what they say and show some respect and in return they'll do you the common courtesy and return the favour. Remember we get onto this forum for one reason - that's to chat to people who own the same car as we do. Not to bicker like a bunch of small children fighting over who's the leader and who's got the best car. Just remember he who dies with the most toys still dies. Think about it.

Good luck to whoever sorts this out

SILVABULLIT :D

Totally agree.

look at it this way people,

e-gene is a moderator, yet yet no one feels any sort of negativity towards him.

shaohaok has one of the most heavily modd'ed cars on this forum, yet no one feels any sort of negativity towards him.

kcorro is the most helpful member, when it comes to sourcing parts, info etc, and there is no negativity towards him.

so when it boils down to its not any of these reasons

- the mods on your car

- your status moderator or not

- how much info and parts u can source

what is it? some people are just a-holes with attitude problems, simple as that.

A member of Toyota Australia should be a moderator... So they can see the errors of ours cars instead of waiting for us to waste our time and money going there. As for this child behavior by some Moderators and Members, just grow up as use this forum for its purpose, not some place to talk ****. If you like to start trouble... do it out of the forum, if you got an issue with someone solve it out of the forum. We all are all friends here.. so act like it.

being a moderator on two of australia's biggest Toyota based forums (Toymods and Twincam.org), i know what it is like on the other side of the mod panel.

Your job as a moderator is defined in the name, "Moderator" - ie to moderate forum activity. That role demands that you are imparcial, consistent, objective and fair. Of course you are going to cop personal attacks, people whinging about this and that and it is a thankless job - but that is no excuse to go off in a flurry of deleting and editting to your own desires.

Well, now i spose its time for me to go back to what i do best. Reading. :D

EDIT: i have blown my fuse a few times as a moderator, and looking back im pretty disappointed that i did.

Edited by Captain Upsidedown

ok this was wat i posted up earlier on but got deleted...

"the many potentials of this forum have been inhibited by the detrimental atomsphere of only a very few handful of individuals right from the very start. i understand that every forum and community has its share of black sheeps, but proportionally, we seem to have more than our statistical share.

when i was a new member late last year, i was very apprehensive about participating, when i did post things up i still had to think about the consequences and now i am still fairly reluctunt to contribute. however, i try to help out as much as i can in other ways though.

i understand that moderating can sometimes be difficult but there seem to be gaping inconsistencies in the policing of these forums. i'm don't mean to cast doubt on the abilities of the moderating team, on the other hand, other forums, with much much more members i might add, don't seem to have such a large problem as we do.

honestly, i hope we all sort this out ASAP. or else one day atoc will just have a few backslapping members left. and i am sure no one wants this to happen, ESP after all the hardwork that steve has put in."

What in the world is going on here?

Guys of ATOC, what is going on?!

I understand that not all of us here see eye to eye on many different matters and yes, I agree that it gets pretty ugly sometimes, but do we have to resort to this kind of a poll?

I'm not going to go on a rampage and defend anyone (moderator or not), or start my own spiel on whether or not we, as moderators, do a good job. But I ask that EVERYONE here take a second to ask yourselves this question,

What are we on this forum for?

Personally, I came to this forum to learn about my car and to make some friends. In the process, I've met and made many good friends from this forum as well as learnt heaps from various members.

I know that we are all passionate people here especially when it comes to our cars, so I ask that everyone here, moderators included, to stop and ask why we are on this forum to begin with?

If strict moderation is what you are after, that can be done.

This thread here will only continue if it is about what we can do to improve this forum, but PLEASE do not flame anyone here cos it gets us no where.

So now everyone please take a chill pill and enjoy this forum.

Wow. I sit on the fence with this one :blink:

There seems to be a whole level of interaction between certain board members that alot of us do not know about. I must admit there have been certain posts that i have read where some people (mods included) have over reacted to what was posted in the heat of the moment. but certainly not enough to lead to this thread. I enjoy visiting this forum daily in hopes to learn more about my car and to chat with ppl of similar interests. Please! personal issues & conflicts should remain off this board (in my opinion). I was under the impression that everyone got along on this forum otherwise we wouldn't all be posting here.

This forum is not a pirate ship and there will be no mutiny. nor will there be walking of any planks (if you get my drift). so like E-Gene said, Chill Pills for all and lets get back to business. :P

My 2cents,

Kien

Edited by qkslvr

hi all,

i have been a member from the beginning. i dont post all that often, however read the latest posts almost daily.

i have seen in a large number of posts peoples views and opinins being shot down quite quickly and without any real contribution to the topic at hand.

I have read Shao post above and i dont understand why it was deleted. He made a very valid and obvious point.

People will always argue and disagree, thats life, its how new ideas come to fruition. What some people here are not understanding is that their opinion is lnot law and it is debatable.

If you dont agree with someones point of view this forum is for debating that point and hopefully seeing another side to the issue.

Freedom of Speech/Post for all.

ps. does this thread have anything to do with the elections we just had? :lol:

Comment edited as stated. Please refrain from insulting anyone and this applies to everyone me included this is a forum and as such if you have an issue please take it off line with the person involved if it becomes a real issue then please rasie it with the moderators of the forum thanks for your cooperation.

teh grain of salt must be used in the touch of teh moderator :P But yes the john howard comments were a little off topic.....

FYI - i have no beef with rollamods' comments, as i know the guy on a semi-personal level, it was just our attempt at bringing a little humour into these forums, maybe even some light hearted attitudes :)

And for the record, rollamods IS ghey wif aids :P