Why I said goodbye to my Sportivo

Hi guys,

this is why I said goodbye to my Sportivo.

siderear.jpg

front3quarter.jpg

rear3quarter.jpg

front.jpg

opendoors.jpg

interior.jpg

Ever since I saw the initial mazda concept vehicle this is the car I have always desired most. With a recent promotion and a deal I could not say no to from the Mazda dealer it was time to say goodbye to my little red beast. Do not get me wrong I luved my Stivo and still think they are the best bang for your buck going. It's just that Performance, handling and refinement wise the RX8 is just in a different league. And I am loving that rear wheel drive :D

I just held off saying anything until the dealer had sold the car as time is very scarce at present and I did not wish to be answering any questions from potential buyers. If I wanted to do that I would have sold it privately.

Talking to the dealer the car ended up going to someone on this forum who lives interstate. After Peekays comment whoever it was reading it actually aquired the services of a broker down here who went and did the deal on their behalf and then organised to truck the car to them.

Cheers guys, and hope to see the Melbourne boys & girls on the next cruise.

Edited by Ilivfor6

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

YAY for suicide doors, so what mods you got planned mate??? :D well who ever got Ilivfor6's nice ride speak up :P

What the hell is Peekay doing there???? :lol:  :lol:

hehe getting "FREE" bits and installing them on site haha

Edited by Northy

Ohh you better come to the next meet Biatch :D  :D youre still one of us  :) and i wanna check out the new toy havent seen one properly up close. What the hell is Peekay doing there???? :lol:  :lol:

Peekay was helpimg me Polish her up. Make her really shine :rolleyes:

Not many mods planned for this one as it is pretty darn good stock. Stereo is a 9 speaker BOSE system, already comes with good looking 18's, the handling is superb with the wheels filling the arches already and the acceleration is quite something. (I liiiiiike the ****el - rotary)

- edit - (Does not even let me say w.a.n.k.e.l)

But that being said the few things I plan are upgraded front & rear sway bars, SR High flow midpipe & cat, SR cat back exhaust, SR lightweight pulleys and the SR Lightweight flywheel. These mods according to the guys with these cars in the states adds approx 30-40 horsepower and drops the 1/4 mile into the low 13's.

But they will have to wait a while (probably a long while) as I spent most of my cash on the car.

Cheers

Stu

Edited by Ilivfor6

Great choice stu.... good to see you went for blue for this one!!!! :P

Seeing this definately explains the decision, but one question remains..... didn't your wife just get a SP23 after much humming and haring.... Why not keep the Stivo and just get the RX8 and keep the Stivo in the family?

EDIT: not a critisism, just wondering, feel free not to answer if you do not wish to...

I'm sure you are sorry to see it go, especially after all the work you put into it....

Edited by Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi

Great choice stu.... good to see you went for blue for this one!!!!  :P

Seeing this definately explains the decision, but one question remains..... didn't your wife just get a SP23 after much humming and haring.... Why not keep the Stivo and just get the RX8 and keep the Stivo in the family?

EDIT: not a critisism, just wondering, feel free not to answer if you do not wish to...

I'm sure you are sorry to see it go, especially after all the work you put into it....

I was not thinking about buying the rx8. It was only after I bought the SP23 for the wife it all happened. A promotion through work with some bonus spending money to put towards a new car and having just bought the SP23 and the Mazda dealer just short on his monthly quota (reading inbetween the lines - a great bl@@dy deal) I decided what the hey :D

I was not looking forward to losing the Stivo and actually hesitated on the deal a bit. But when I looked at the money I still wanted to spend on mods for the Stivo (exhaust, Brash Boyz intake manifold, Valves & valve springs, Quafe LSD, motec) it was just getting out of hand. Pretty soon I was going to have a car I had spent 50 grand on that was only worth less than 30.

But having now driven the rx8 for over a week I am honestly not missing the stivo as the driving enjoyment from the 8 is immense. The combination of acceleration and the handling is something I was never going to be able to build into the Stivo. Not to mention the dead sexy bodywork :rolleyes:

But I still do luv my old stivo and remember all the good times we shared B)

Cheers mate

Nice ride Ilivfor6, I guess your name might be changing soon too. Its all good moving up in the food chain. I really appreciate the welcome you gave me when I just started on this forum and I hope I will still be able to get advice from you on tuning my RunX.

Congratuilations on the new ride! What are the stock specs on that car? I heard that they are low on torque and require high revs for maximum satisfaction. Is that true? Could you describe your driving impressions, the overall feel, the difference in traction and acceleration in a little more detail? Whats it like winding up that 1308cc? I know you're good at describing stuff.

You must be a very experienced driver. A lot of persons fear RWD powerhouses because of the driving skill required to control them on corners. Much Respect!!

Nice ride Ilivfor6, I guess your name might be changing soon too. Its all good moving up in the food chain. I really appreciate the welcome you gave me when I just started on this forum and I hope I will still be able to get advice from you on tuning my RunX.

Congratuilations on the new ride! What are the stock specs on that car? I heard that they are low on torque and require high revs for maximum satisfaction. Is that true? Could you describe your driving impressions, the overall feel, the difference in traction and acceleration in a little more detail? Whats it like winding up that 1308cc? I know you're good at describing stuff.

You must be a very experienced driver. A lot of persons fear RWD powerhouses because of the driving skill required to control them on corners. Much Respect!!

Where do I start?

Front-midship Renesis - 2 rotors in-line, naturally aspirated, multi-sideport

Engine capacity cc 1,308 (654 x 2)

Compression ratio 10.0 : 1

Maximum power kW 177 @ 8,200rpm

Maximum torque Nm 211 @ 5,500rpm

Weight distribution front : rear 50 : 50

Brake type front: Ventilated disc. Rear: Ventilated disc

Brake diameter front: mm 323. Rear: mm 302

Suspension front: Double wishbone with mono-tube shock absorbers and torsion bar stabilisers. Rear: Multi-link (five links per side) with mono-tube shock absorbers and torsion bar stabilisers

Steering: Rack drive electric power assisted (engine revolution sensing) rack and pinion

Tyres: 225/45R18 91W

Wheels: 18 x 8.0 JJ (alloy)

Driving Impressions:

Sitting there, the renesis reving at 3500. Release the clutch and stomp the accelerator to the floor, the rear squats then throws you off the line. Revs climb unbelievably fast hitting 6000rpm in a blink of an eye. The induction note changes as it sweeps past 6 and the engine switches it's breathing through the performance intake manifold. 7000rpm shows and still accelerating harder.... 8000rpm harder still.... 9000rpm accelerating even harder still. Hit 66 on the speedo and grab for 2nd. The shift is short, smooth & direct. Clutch is relased and 2nd engages in an instant throwing you further back into the seat. Revs drop to 6800rpm and then scream back towards the limiter. 7000.... 8000.... 9000 and still your pushed further and further back into the seat. Absolutely no let up in the increasing acceleration. Just short of 110 on the speedo has you reaching for 3rd. And again the gear engages and throws the car forward. 3rd is accelerating harder than 2nd and the revs are climbing as fast. Still you are pushed harder into the seat. The engine is screaming but still silky smooth when the alert chimes for the fast approaching redline. Speedo reads almost 150. You back off and cruise at a 100 in almost silence, with very little road or wind noise, the engine barely audible. Holding 6th you accelerate to overtake and the car builds speed very easily. Within a very short space of time you climb past 120 but still without any real road noise. You see another gap so drop to 3rd, the engine screams and the car launches at fantastic speed and within no time are bouncing off the rev limiter in 3rd at 150.

Through corners it is just glued to the road. The steering is so direct and sharp the nose just goes where you point it at insane speeds. The most fun is accelerating out of the corners as the back end just squats, grips and then throws you out of the corner.

In the higher gears the engine does lack a little of low down torque but still pulls harder down low than my Sportivo did. But with such a good gearbox it is an absolute joy keeping the engine above 4000. And in revs above 4000 in 3rd, 4th and 5th the car hammers.

JDM mate that is how I would describe the car to drive. It just has an increadible linear power delivery, which makes it very easy to drive as you can predict what the car will be doing. It just keeps pulling harder and harder.

Edited by Ilivfor6

Stu

Glad to see that your actually making good use of the w@nkle. I dont know how many Rx8's ive seen on the roads that put along without even a 1/2 throttle squirt.

I've even tried to drag one ......without as much as an effort from the driver!!

And my black one hasnt turned up yet ...so i take it you didnt win the 21 million from saturday ;)

yeah i agree mate wise choice in car howeva whats it like compared to the stivo on juice?

is it really only 177kw?

thats only 30 or so more kw than the stivos.

i wouldve thought twin rotors wouldve had heaps more go than that dude.

im pretty sure someone over in america maybe even here has already twin turbod one like the earlier rx7s that would be some huge horsepower anyway good luck with the car mate hop all goes well.

p.s will you be changing ya name to livforRotor?

Stu

Glad to see that your actually making good use of the w@nkle. I dont know how many Rx8's ive seen on the roads that put along without even a 1/2 throttle squirt.

I've even tried to drag one ......without as much as an effort from the driver!!

And my black one hasnt turned up yet ...so i take it you didnt win the 21 million from saturday ;)

No mate... I won all of it. Bought you the black one but when I went to ship it up to you they wanted $100.00. What a rip off so I just off loaded it to a passer by.

And the 2 models in bikini's I aquired for you to help in keeping it clean... well I've just kept them for myself :D :D :P :P :lol::lol:

But seriously the offer still stands. The day I win 21 million dollars I will rush out and buy you a black RX8 ;)

Cheers

Edited by Ilivfor6

Any hint of oversteer in accelleration (esp being used to the stivo)? And have you had the thing in opposite lock yet???

After seeing the new 1 series beemer, I'm debating that for the next car, chucking a bit more ballist over the rear wheels and creating a sleeping drifter!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

No one would expect that out of a little hatch.... :D :P ;) B)

My first car was an old '83 skyline and I really miss the fun of a rear wheel drive

Hmm, 1 series is nice, but it only has 110kW from the 2.0 litre 4-cyl. Knowing BMW, the power delivery would be linear, plus a body that weighs 1275kg giving it 86.27 kW/ton compared to the Stivo's 108.88 kW/ton (assuming 1295kg) would it still be fun? Even my Euro has 100.35 kW/ton.

RX-8's 132.38 kW/ton, that is guaranteed to be fun!

Aaron

yeah i agree mate wise choice in car howeva whats it like compared to the stivo on juice?

is it really only 177kw?

thats only 30 or so more kw than the stivos.

i wouldve thought twin rotors wouldve had heaps more go than that dude.

im pretty sure someone over in america maybe even here has already twin turbod one like the earlier rx7s that would be some huge horsepower anyway good luck with the car mate hop all goes well.

p.s will you be changing ya name to livforRotor?

No I will keep the same name. The Rx8 is also most fun over 6000rpm anyway

As the 177kw goes I to was "shoudn't it have more", but I found an Aemrican forum on rotary's that explained why this can be decieving. It said something like: In a 4 cyclinder engine such as the Sportivo each piston only makes power on the first doward push then the next subsequent down and up motion is for drawing in more air, so it is only producing power 1/4 of the time. The Renesis rotary produces power for 3/4 of its motion providing the power more efficiently(and hence why only needing the small capacity). It sounded good in theory, and my bum dyno tells me the car is certainly fast.

Mazda also did not want it to be the outright performance terror the RX7 was. They wanted to create a more balanced refined sportscar. Besides they are currently working on a replacement for the RX7 to fill the pure high performance sportscar position. I hear this will be a monster!

Any hint of oversteer in accelleration (esp being used to the stivo)? And have you had the thing in opposite lock yet???

After seeing the new 1 series beemer, I'm debating that for the next car, chucking a bit more ballist over the rear wheels and creating a sleeping drifter!!!!   :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

No one would expect that out of a little hatch.... :D  :P  ;)   B)

My first car was an old '83 skyline and I really miss the fun of a rear wheel drive

In the dry the car just grips out of a corner and refuses to let go. With heavy throttle it just straightens up and throws you out of the corner. In the wet though it is a different story with the back more than willing to come out to play with some throttle. But it is very controllable and progressive.

Edited by Ilivfor6

Congrats on a great car purchase mate! For high revving N/A RWD the S2000 is still my pick with 9000rpm redline and the sweetest gearbox i have ever touched. But i feel that its overpriced at $80K. I have a Best Motoring DVD of the RX8 testing it thoroughly. The JDM S2000 is actually quicker than the RX8 in every aspect but for $20K less the RX8 is better money spent. The RX8 has a very tall 3rd gear doesn't it because that is where the JDM TypeR (162kw) and S2000 reeled in. But its still a bloody quick car. Didn't you consider 350Z? Its quicker than S2000 and RX8 but the engine is ordinary to drive, only revs to 6600rpm. It also has too many computer gadgets assisting the car's performance which makes the car boring to drive. The S2000 is a better car for driving enthusiast that like full steering, throttle and brake induced vehicle control, its raw with much better response. But that also means a better driver is required for the S2000. People have been killed in it because of its notorious oversteer when pushed hard.

How did Peekays Stivo fair against your RX8 stu :P

Congrats on a great car purchase mate!  For high revving N/A RWD the S2000 is still my pick with 9000rpm redline and the sweetest gearbox i have ever touched.  But i feel that its overpriced at $80K.  I have a Best Motoring DVD of the RX8 testing it thoroughly.  The JDM S2000 is actually quicker than the RX8 in every aspect but for $20K less the RX8 is better money spent.  The RX8 has a very tall 3rd gear doesn't it because that is where the JDM TypeR (162kw) and S2000 reeled in.  But its still a bloody quick car.  Didn't you consider 350Z?  Its quicker than S2000 and RX8 but the engine is ordinary to drive, only revs to 6600rpm.  It also has too many computer gadgets assisting the car's performance which makes the car boring to drive.  The S2000 is a better car for driving enthusiast that like full steering, throttle and brake induced vehicle control, its raw with much better response.  But that also means a better driver is required for the S2000.  People have been killed in it because of its notorious oversteer when pushed hard.   

I needed 4 seats and was also after comfort, so instantly the 350Z and S2000 was out of it. Besides the S2000 is just too expensive. And in my eyes none of them has the looks of the RX8. Both Peekay & myself have been in the back of the RX8 for a fairly long drive and we both found it very comfortable and enough room to not feel all cramped up.

No Peekay and myself have not run them together yet and probably won't either. We try to keep the competitiveness over our cars out of the friendship. It would only leed to a war on who can spend the most money :blink::blink::blink:

Well that explains why the seat on the stivo is worn-out :P :D

Both Peekay & myself have been in the back of the RX8 for a fairly long drive and we both found it very comfortable and enough room to not feel all cramped up.

Edited by KoroLa883

Congrats on a great car purchase mate!  For high revving N/A RWD the S2000 is still my pick with 9000rpm redline and the sweetest gearbox i have ever touched.  But i feel that its overpriced at $80K.  I have a Best Motoring DVD of the RX8 testing it thoroughly.  The JDM S2000 is actually quicker than the RX8 in every aspect but for $20K less the RX8 is better money spent.  The RX8 has a very tall 3rd gear doesn't it because that is where the JDM TypeR (162kw) and S2000 reeled in.  But its still a bloody quick car.  Didn't you consider 350Z?  Its quicker than S2000 and RX8 but the engine is ordinary to drive, only revs to 6600rpm.  It also has too many computer gadgets assisting the car's performance which makes the car boring to drive.  The S2000 is a better car for driving enthusiast that like full steering, throttle and brake induced vehicle control, its raw with much better response.  But that also means a better driver is required for the S2000.  People have been killed in it because of its notorious oversteer when pushed hard.   

I needed 4 seats and was also after comfort, so instantly the 350Z and S2000 was out of it. Besides the S2000 is just too expensive. And in my eyes none of them has the looks of the RX8. Both Peekay & myself have been in the back of the RX8 for a fairly long drive and we both found it very comfortable and enough room to not feel all cramped up.

No Peekay and myself have not run them together yet and probably won't either. We try to keep the competitiveness over our cars out of the friendship. It would only leed to a war on who can spend the most money :blink::blink::blink:

Yes Stuart ahhh based on the past yes.... And to all you other guys yes I am reviewing what I am going to own soon. And am looking at upgrading in the new year after a little win on the Melbourne cup...(or massive depends on your point of view (please don't ask any details all I will say is TRIFECTA)). I have a car in my sight at the moment and no it is not a RX8. But the facelift is not happening till December ...a small hint it starts with H. So the red rocket maybe up for sale soon at least in the new year so if any one is interested let me know (will finalise making my mind up this weekend after taking the wife down for a ride). List of mods below (Approx 11-12K Worth). PM Me if interested but please no one asking for Bits off the car.. at this stage won't be happening unless I don't get a good offer. The car will be available to take off my hands at the end of Jan (or earlier if I get the right offer). Approx 30K Kilometres)

1) Toms Fly Wheel (literally brand new)

2) TRD Clutch (literally brand new)

3) TRD Quickshifter

4) Whiteline Swaybar

5) Whiteline Strut Brace

6) TRD Extractors

7) Eibach Springs (lowered 35mm with Camber Bolts)

8) C-One Cooling Panel (literally brand new)

9) C-One Wings

10) JVC MP3 Player

11) Car Mats

12) Tinted Windows

13) Reversing Sensors

14) Tow Pack

15) Sportivo Grille

16) Sportivo Rear Skirt

17) Window Deflectors

18) Colour Matched Bonnet Protector

19) Headlight Protectors

20) Red Engine Cover

21) Earthing Straps

22) Rear Bumper Skuff Guard

23) GMAX 17 Inch Mags in Black with lock nuts with Toyo Tyres.

24) Hondata Intake gasket

25) TRD Cold Air Intake with ITG Foam Filter

26) Updated Tailights (as on the current Corolla)

27) Shift Light

Option 1 UNICHIP (otherwise I already have a buyer) if offered the right money for the car.

Option 2 Blaupunkt Velocity Subwoofer if offered the right money for the car.