Why I said goodbye to my Sportivo

As the 177kw goes I to was "shoudn't it have more", but I found an Aemrican forum on rotary's that explained why this can be decieving. It said something like: In a 4 cyclinder engine such as the Sportivo each piston only makes power on the first doward push then the next subsequent down and up motion is for drawing in more air, so it is only producing power 1/4 of the time. The Renesis rotary produces power for 3/4 of its motion providing the power more efficiently(and hence why only needing the small capacity). It sounded good in theory, and my bum dyno tells me the car is certainly fast.

Yes, and when you look at how a rotary combustion cycle goes, each rotation is one cycle with intake, compression, combustion phase and exhaust phases. In every other conventional engine (Otto cycle) there is a intake, compression, combustion and exhaust as well but it takes one rotation for intake and compression, and then a 2nd rotation for combustion and exhaust. Thus, the rotary actually does twice the amount of cycles when compared to the conventional engine when you compare them both at the same RPM. This means it can output as much power as a NA engine that is twice its capacity (2.6 litre equivalent), but also means that it drinks twice the fuel of a 1.3 litre that is as aggressively tuned as the RX-8.

Because a rotary engine has less rotating mass (inertia) to rob the power, it is actually much harder accelerating than an equivalent 2.6 litre with the same 177kW of power.

Peekay: Starts with "H"? Can't be a car that rhymes with "Bolden", right? :blink:

Edited by aaronng

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Peekay, that's not the new bored out 2.2L S2000 that your looking at is it?

Rumour has it that the powerband is going to start as low as 3k.

But rev limited to 8000rpm :( , not like it needs the 9000rpm limit with more torque and power produced at much lower revs. I love that car, was tempted by a 2nd hand selling for $38K :P

OK Time to let you know what I am getting I have two options at this stage which as soon as I get a chance to test the Integra I will decide on one or the other.

1) The 2005 Honda Accord Luxury Euro with full body kit and a few other extras. In metallic blue.

2) The New 2005 Integra Type S In Blue again with a few extras..

So far the Accord has it but if I can get a ride in the Type S I may change my mind. But am definitly doing it. I offered Steve my resignation as a moderator if he takes it then I will continue to be a member due to some of the friends I have made on this forum. I will still continue to enjoy going on some of the cruises you guys go on.

I have sold most of the bits on the car so far ie unichip,mags, CAI, Strut Brace.... If some one wants the TRD extractors as long as they pay to remove and refit the standard pipes. I am willing to sell them for $600 (rough cost to remove is @ $200 as per the last time I did it (Unit is worth at the moment $1300 plus fitting). If some one wants the TRD clutch and Toms flywheel same deal $500 but again must pay for the removal and refit of the standard system (They cost me $1200 + fitting). I will be trading the car in at this stage.

1) The 2005 Honda Accord Luxury Euro with full body kit and a few other extras. In metallic blue.

2) The New 2005 Integra Type S.

Nice choices....

It took a long time for me to say no to the Euro Accord when shopping for the stivo, but in the end felt the stivo suited my purpose better... I also wanted to go for exactly the set-up you are getting but could not justify the expense, and the standard model just didn't measure up the same. I love the Luxury pack on the Euro, the dark grey seats are fantastic and the console layout is so easy to navigate, I also love the dual A/C setting (I think it was designed for men with wives going through menapause.... :P :P)

The Integra though, what can I say, I would kill for one of those..... So Peekay, if that's your choice, watch your back.... Just kidding.... but they are damn nice :D :D

OK Time to let you know what I am getting I have two options at this stage which as soon as I get a chance to test the Integra I will decide on one or the other.

2) The New 2005 Integra Type S In Blue again with a few extras..

So far the Accord has it but if I can get a ride in the Type S I may change my mind. But am definitly doing it. I offered Steve my resignation as a moderator if he takes it then I will continue to be a member due to some of the friends I have made on this forum. I will still continue to enjoy going on some of the cruises you guys go on.

I have sold most of the bits on the car so far ie unichip,mags, CAI, Strut Brace.... If some one wants the TRD extractors as long as they pay to remove and refit the standard pipes. I am willing to sell them for $600 (rough cost to remove is @ $200 as per the last time I did it (Unit is worth at the moment $1300 plus fitting). If some one wants the TRD clutch and Toms flywheel same deal $500 but again must pay for the removal and refit of the standard system (They cost me $1200 + fitting). I will be trading the car in at this stage.

I could have swapped cars with you Peekay and you can trade mine in, no need to go through the fuss of selling your mods plus my Stivo has only 14,000kms :P

Anyway, what can i say about you and Stu trading your Stivos in for other cars. What you guys are going for are "better" cars imo and that is all that matters for you guys. I would have thought you went for the S2000 but obviously your wife would have disagreed with a 2 seater plus the S2000 might get replaced in the coming years. I am a Honda fan and even if you went for a Jazz i would have said great :D

I reckon the TypeS is great with the new equipment it packs (MP3/ 6 CD changer, leather interior, sunroof, 17inch mags, revised suspension..) Not to mention it has 154kw @ 8000rpm only 8kw short of the JDM TypeR. But it has definitely packed on a few kilos. The only downside i can think of atm is the steering as it has been commented the Integra TypeR DC5 has terrible steering feel. Might have improved though. Let me know of your impression on the TypeS when you do test drive it will ya?

Zee

Zee...

maybe the real reason is that they have ridden the wave of success ,and they were happy with it when it lasted.

But now that the QLD boys are on the scene, turning heads and also the quickest times....maybe they couldnt handle the heat ;)

Maybe the lucifer red got to them too much and they had to bail!?

Maybe the photo of our cars in Dec Fast Fours at the drag strip intimidated them and was the nail in the coffin?

Who knows!?!?!?!!!

Edited by Danthuyer

Zee...

maybe the real reason is that they have ridden the wave of success ,and they were happy with it when it lasted.

But now that the QLD boys are on the scene, turning heads and also the quickest times....maybe they couldnt handle the heat ;)

Maybe the lucifer red got to them too much and they had to bail!?

Maybe the photo of our cars in Dec Fast Fours at the drag strip intimidated them and was the nail in the coffin?

Who knows!?!?!?!!!

:D Must be the colour, i agree :D

i absolutely love the accord euro and it would look mean with a body kit... but i think the integra is the way to go (until the euro type-r comes out keke) .. its not as practical, but it has a closer resemblance to the sportivo, like size wise and stuff... (unless u want something different)

what ever you choose.... you'll be happy.. honda makes fantastic cars (my dad has accord v6)

Edited by Chompies

Hi guys sorry ive been away for the past few months. Whats been happening??? People changing allegiances....Where is the love????

I hope that everyone that has changed cars are as happy as you were when you bought your Stivo

As for the question posed if we are planning to keep our cars for longer than a year. I think that i will keep my car for about 5 years then look at something else. I am a fan of the S2000 and if i had the money i would have bought 1. The only problem would have been when it came to picking 1 person out of a group of 4 who needed a lift

Hey NIKICH

welcome back, thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth. The changing cars was all done for the right reasons, and those that move on, moved on to better things, and look back on the stivos with fond memories.... But I'm with you, I'm hoping to keep the Stivo for a few years yet....