Highway commuting in a Yaris

jps137

Has anyone done much highway travel in a Yaris? I have just taken a new job which will result in a bit of travel to and from work (in excess of 100km each way) almost all of which will be on highways or motorways and I am considering a Yaris (for fuel economy). Has anyone had any expereience? How does a Yaris handle at 110kmh for long stretches? Any cabin noise issues?

Edited by jps137

Has anyone done much highway travel in a Yaris? I have just taken a new job which will result in a bit of travel to and from work (in excess of 100km each way) almost all of which will be on highways or motorways and I am considering a Yaris (for fuel economy). Has anyone had any expereience? How does a Yaris handle at 110kmh for long stretches? Any cabin noise issues?

I travel quite alot everyday on my the echo, cabin noise can be noise on the highways, but fuel consumption is great! if you're doing alot of talking while driving then you might consider getting a different car. LOL... but if you put some sound deadener on the wheel arches it should keep it down abit.

I have a 2006 Yaris YR Auto.

I have not had any problems driving 100+ km/h for long distances.

Noise is minimal even with windows slightly open.

I average 620 km before I reach the last bar on my fuel gauge driving a mixture of highway and short trips with start stop traffic. I have traveled 670 km before i reached the last bar on my fuel gauge with ~80% highway travel.

These distances have been traveled with at most two people in the car and with tyres inflated at 32 psi. I expect these distances to increase now that I have inflated my tyres to 40 psi

My widdle Echo Sportivo (1.5L engine) has crossed the Nullarbor 5 times, cruising 110-130km/hr on average, approx 12 hours of driving per day (we did 1700km in one day on one occassion), and has never yet had any trouble. Mighty fine build.

was the car stable and smooth at 130?

The steering did get a bit light, but it seemed confident enough for me to continue at that speed. I overtook road trains at about 140 a few times , and i didn't even notice it until i looked down! I don't know what effect the body kit has on the aerodynamics; be wary.

Otherwise highways? Too easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Yaris does a great commute on highways @100 BUT the lack of cruise control does not make it the best of drives.

I drive a car with cruise control on the M4 daily and occasionally the Yaris on the same stretch of road and trust me the comfort from cruise control especially doing long stretches on a motorway are significant.

Something for you to think about

I have a YRS sedan '06 manual. I've reached 155kmh and you can still feel it can give more power upto 160-170 even. smooth ride. Just be cautious though on the steering with that speed. My tyre pressure is usually 34-37psi. I agree with enforcer, it can reach upto 620km before it hit the last bar in the fuel gauge. very economical and spacious.

was the car stable and smooth at 130?

last time when i when i went to wollongong, travelled 120kph all the way. going there was abit windy (The Echo, weighing only 850kg + myself) , driving it straigiht was pretty hard. But once I got items in the trunk (weighing more than 40kg) it handles abit better @ high speed.

• 10 months later...

Hi All, I have a Yaris 1.3 YR have done a bit of highway driving. I agree with most people on the fuel economy. Absolutely amazing. The Yaris is happy to cruise at 130 km/h easy. I've clocked the car and the speed gets stuck with the reading jumping between 174 & 175 km/h. So that's that for the 1.3, doesn't go any faster than that. I found that the car does cruise comfortably at 130 and even 140...and I guess that's all you really need.

I find the Yaris' great to drive, never done long distance but wouldn't see it being a problem...

Nothing wrong with a lack of cruise control... I have it in my Prado and never use it...

I find Cruise Control uses more fuel and makes you more relaxed and concentrating less on the road...

We have a few of these for run arounds at work and they are very nice cars to drive, if your going to be doing a 110km comute get cruise control, the best $600 you will spend, as they are electric throttle its easy to wander on the freeway because there is no resistance from the pedal like the cable ones.

I drive about 50kms each way to and from my house. I probably average at least 120 kms a day in my Corolla.

Oh how I miss cruise control. If you are going to do it, make sure you have cruise control.

Is it coming out of your pocket, or work's? If work, I would be inclined to push for a Camry. The longer wheelbase will be more comfortable for long distance driving, as will the extra cabin space.

Edited by Leroy

I drive about 50kms each way to and from my house. I probably average at least 120 kms a day in my Corolla.

Oh how I miss cruise control. If you are going to do it, make sure you have cruise control.

Is it coming out of your pocket, or work's? If work, I would be inclined to push for a Camry. The longer wheelbase will be more comfortable for long distance driving, as will the extra cabin space.

Thanks for the advice I have actually gone with a Corolla, I had an Aurion for 2 months while I waited for the Corolla to be delivered and I have discovered that I needed manual transmission (which I was getting on the Corolla). I find the Corolla a good size cabin with plenty of space with out going overboard