Gear question

Hi all,

today i was driving around 50 or 60 and acidentally hit the gear stick (auto) from D to N, i heard engine rev sound and i quickly let go of gas and put it back to D and slow down and pull over.

My question is will this cause any damage to the gear, or engine? and how bad is that??

I do that all the time, minus the revving.

There shouldn't be any issues. Most autos these days have rev limiters in them, so it extremely unlikely that anything untoward occured to the engine or drive train.

wtf? Its neutral. Thats what its designed for. There is no way in a billion years that that would do any damage, unless u held the throttle open for a good 5 minutes or so. Manual or auto, its no issue at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never experienced somthing like that in an Auto before but I have with my manual. I have the 6 speed Corolla and when I got into my brothers Yaris I chucked it into reverse thinking it was going into 6th doing about 60km/h. I didn't throw it into the reverse hard so it wassn't as bad as it sounds.

Ha ha I used to do this in my Commodore Auto everytime I reached for a tissue :lol:

It wont cause any problems.

What does damage your transmission is when you are stationary, dial up high revs in neutral and then slam it into drive.

Ha ha I used to do this in my Commodore Auto everytime I reached for a tissue :lol:

It wont cause any problems.

What does damage your transmission is when you are stationary, dial up high revs in neutral and then slam it into drive.

Awwww ,but that is just so much fun, particularly when that car isn't yours (I get to play with fleet cars these days)!

same thing happen to my frend and gearbox fell off!
same thing happen to my frend and gearbox fell off!

Yeah my frend did that too once and his gearbox and engine fell off. It didn't affect his 1/4 mile time though so all good.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

u guys are such shyt stirrers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mated dont worry nothing happened or caused any damage as long as u kept off the gas wen shifting back from N to D.

As stated by CAP the stationary N rev out and flick into D is what will cause damage mostly